Greetings!

Zeno

Hello everyone.  Kerry here from Illinois, brand new to this hobby.  I've wanted to try to learn to build one of those nice beautiful wooden ships for a while but looking at the various kits out there left me pretty intimidated.  I plan to start out slow, I purchased my first kit--a Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat, eventually I'd love to build one of those gorgeous USS Constitution kits--but that will be years away (I retire in less than 8 so that might be a good time) but until then I will try to hone my skills on other kits.

The Constitution has a special place for me as my father worked on the retrofit in the 70's and I've visited her often as a child--and most recently in 2017 (when she was undergoing another drydock).   My father passed in 2018 and I got a portrait of the ship as well as a sizeable piece of oak from her hull.  I'd love to add a nice model that I took the time to build to proudly add to the display I already have.

Does anyone know if they make a kit for the Beaver?  That is the replica ship they have in Boston Harbor as part of the Tea Party museum (my father worked on that too).

A couple of questions...is the 18th Century Longboat I bought a good starter kit?   Any other good kits to learn on?  What types of tools should I invest in? 

I look forward to all your help and advice as I advance in the hobby.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard!

The longboat kit has proven to be a very popular among beginners, and we have plenty of finished build logs for you to use for guidance.

Sorry, no kits of Beaver, though, and she does not closely resemble any kits that I'm familiar with.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome to MSW, Zeno.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I thought I would share what I have for the Constitution, my Dad had the picture since the 70's when he worked on her, not sure the origin--I had it matted and framed after my Dad passed, the piece of the ship was from the restoration from '73-76--I had the shadow box custom made for it recently.  

Eventually I hope to have a high quality model I built on display with those other 2 pieces.

constitution.jpg

shadowbox.jpg