Hawker Hurricane Mk. I by ccoyle - Halinski - 1/33 - CARD

Hello and welcome!

I have decided that I will occasionally break up the slog of building a wooden ship by taking a break here and there to do a side project. So, having finished the basic hull structure of Phoenix, I will now take a few weeks to knock out a card model. This time around it will be kit #1/2002 from Halinski -- a Hawker Hurricane Mk. I wearing the colors of Witold Urbanowicz's mount during his stint in the RAF's 303 Squadron, circa September of 1940 (click here for more about Urbanowicz). Urbanowicz shot down nine enemy aircraft while flying this particular Hurricane. I chose this kit for several reasons:

• I haven't built a Hurricane yet.
  • I have built a Bf-109E-4 that fought in the Battle of Britain, but not one of the British fighters it would have faced off with. The Spitfire Mk. Vb I built earlier began entering service in 1941. I wanted to have one of Walter Oesau's potential adversaries sharing a shelf with his Emil.
  • I now have more Halinski kits in my stash than from any other publisher, so it seems appropriate to thin out the Halinski herd a bit. This will be my fifth crack at a Halinski build.
  • This kit comes from Halinski's "transitional" period -- a time when the company's kits didn't quite come up to the standards of kits produced even just a few months later in terms of complexity, artwork, and quality of diagrams. It's still a great kit, only it's just a half-step down maybe from the usual Halinski standard of excellence. This is not necessarily a bad thing, cuz it means the kit should be slightly easier to build than some of the massively detailed kits the company has published more recently.

In addition to the basic kit, I have the laser-cut frames, molded canopy, and a set of resin wheels from GPM. First task, as usual, will be to match some colors for edge coloring. Look for first cuts soon!

image.jpeg.03bd1110aac8b2ab959dfd0a1dcc0448.jpeg

image.jpeg.4573541479e730bcfb35ae23c0db24df.jpeg

image.jpeg.af85ecdd4f6dac7672e2e1a642f99aff.jpeg

image.jpeg.c4ce85641934a476921e994451cefbef.jpeg

Witold Urbanowicz (image courtesy of Wikimedia)

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Ha-ha, I was looking at your last ship post a couple days ago and thought “how long is he going to go on this ship thing, before he needs an airplane fix”? And here you are. 😆

I’m definitely in! 👍😀🥤🍿

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

51 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Ha-ha, I was looking at your last ship post a couple days ago and thought “how long is he going to go on this ship thing, before he needs an airplane fix”? And here you are. 😆

Cladding the hull with its laser-cut veneer is the next step in Phoenix's build sequence, so it seemed like a natural point to take a short break. Better to take a break now, I figure, than to wait until modeling malaise has set in. Thanks for tagging along!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Nice choice with the Hurricane.

Dan

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Well, somewhat surprisingly for a Halinski kit, I ran into an issue with the diagrams. What's shown in them does not seem to match up well with the parts that are provided. The discrepancy was so jarring that I thought perhaps I had been sent the wrong laser-cut frame set, but I checked them against the printed structural parts, and they match, so that's not the problem. I have seen finished examples of this kit, so I know it can be built -- I'm just going to have to stare and ponder at the diagrams to figure out how everything goes together. Stay tuned!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

16 minutes ago, Javlin said:

One day Chris a Nice panoramic view of the built on the shelf/cases would be entertaining. ;)

Here's the new shelves that mysteriously appeared while my wife was away in California.

image.jpeg.970a1afe6ec4e0056fc2ee07a683e8f7.jpeg

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

4 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

The keyword here is: "wife was away...."

If you know your Old Testament, it's kinda one of those "Aaron and the golden calf" things -- I threw in some wood and metal and out came those shelves. 🫢

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looking forward to this build!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

This was the first Halinski kit I ever made, years ago. I was deeply impressed by the detailing and the way everything fitted together like a glove. Especially the outer skin, covering the cockpit made me aware that every mistake made on the inside had disastrous results for the outside. I learned sanding a model here. (I never use laser cut frames) Many, many Halinski models followed. By now the model is still on the shelf, but it has been heavily attacked by paper fishes, which seem to especially like the printing ink. And though much of the color has faded nowadays I still cannot get myself so far as to throw the model into the dustbin. It was a wonderful experience building a top-kit like this one and I am looking forward for your report.

Edited by Ab Hoving

1 hour ago, Ab Hoving said:

Especially the outer skin, covering the cockpit made me aware that every mistake made on the inside had disastrous results for the outside.

That lesson was painfully seared into my memory by my second Halinski build, the Brewster B-239, which now sits on the Shelf of Shame.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looking forward to seeing this one come along Chris.  I finally managed to track down a catapult set for the Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane and have been doing some background research on these planes.  Very cool subject!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

A few small steps forward . . .

In this first image, you can see what I meant earlier about the confusing diagrams. Compare the actual fuselage assembly with what is depicted in the diagram. That second-from-left-bulkhead is much closer to the aft-most bulkhead in real life than it is in the drawing. And you can also see a pair of locator slots on the finished structure that are not shown in the diagram -- those slots turned out to be necessary for the part that glues in from the other side. These two discrepancies were very confusing for awhile.

image.jpeg.429d62f0bb52d48b2d5dc91d111e215e.jpeg

And next up we have something I have never seen in a kit before, not even a Halisnski kit. The part marked A8 (a deck behind the pilot's seat) has a section, marked with an X in the image, that is supposed to be cut out and then temporarily reattached before gluing the deck in. But even before that, the cockpit floor piece is supposed to be glued in first -- except that if one does that, one can't add the A8 part afterwards. 🫤 I'm gonna have to think about this one a bit.

image.jpeg.9977634431d611e505626f99c14054e4.jpeg

Sometimes, assembling a card model is a lot like rigging a wooden ship model -- you have to have an assembly sequence worked out in advance in your mind before you start gluing bits in.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Almost looks like an Escher print. I'd cut the opening in A8, glue it in . Add the cockpit floor from the front, between the canopy rails, then glue in A15.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 minute ago, Canute said:

I'd cut the opening in A8, glue it in . Add the cockpit floor from the front, between the canopy rails, then glue in A15.

And there, my friend, is where you'd run into all kinds of trouble. Internal cockpit framing invariably needs some sanding to get the skins to fit properly, otherwise one runs into the problems alluded to in Ab's earlier post. The whole reason for leaving the X-marked portion in is to give that part some rigidity for shaping; remove it too early, and you'll have two very weak pieces of cockpit framing essentially dangling helplessly in space, just begging to be damaged. But no worries -- I'll get it all sorted.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

7 minutes ago, Canute said:

Thanks from this card padawan, Master.

No problem! 😉 Just remember that all of the framing in a card kit is essentially made out of beer coasters. The parts are regrettably intolerant of any sort of rough handling.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Chris,

They use the pulp board for the laser-cut pieces?  

So, I can use that for the thicker pieces, like framing, on my Orel kits (I made a run on their ironclad and pre-dreadnought battleships) that would ordinarily be purchased as aftermarket laser-cut sets?  

I ask because I have a large sheet of the pulp board I bought for the inner hull covering on my cat ship that I am done with now and thought would sit around until I built another one from scratch.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Internal cockpit framing invariably needs some sanding

Chris,

Do you seal in any way the edges of the frames before sanding? I usually wind up with very fuzzy edges and have been thinking of soaking the edges with dilute PVA beforehand - not CA as I don't think PVA will adhere to the frame later when the skin (or whatever) is attached.

Thanks.

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

8 minutes ago, Richard44 said:

Do you seal in any way the edges of the frames before sanding?

Sometimes. Depends on how much manhandling I think the part might get. I usually wick in some thin CA. Of course, my current bottle of thin CA is now more like thick CA, so if I need any, I'm gonna hafta run to Hobby Lobby.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Kpfw VI Tiger I ?? 🙂🙂

Cheers

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

2 hours ago, Richard44 said:

Kpfw VI Tiger I ?? 🙂🙂

Cheers

It's one of the kits that has parts printed on the inside back cover.

P.S. I don't build card armor kits. Never have, never will. One word: tracks. 😑

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I couldn't resist attempting to add some extra detail to the control column, though there is much more that could have been added.

image.jpeg.4e3c97243c77feb4dfa533da5a6fa792.jpeg

image.jpeg.b8d3d2eeb2ea89309d1d7d89bd1dc703.jpeg

There's actually a nightmarish web of tubing, rods, and wiring in the floor of a real Hurricane, but I have my limits.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Looking great Chris!  Love the shelf too!

Just out of curiosity, are these kits usually built OOB (out of envelope)?  Seems like things like the pre-cut frames would almost be a necessity.  I'm sure the pre-made resin wheels are also a much welcome piece of aftermarket.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Just out of curiosity, are these kits usually built OOB (out of envelope)?  Seems like things like the pre-cut frames would almost be a necessity.  I'm sure the pre-made resin wheels are also a much welcome piece of aftermarket.

Just like a plastic or wood kit, a card kit can be modified and/or detailed to the modeler's content. Some highly skilled card modelers will even cut out exterior panels on planes and add internal details like engines and gun bays that were not included in the original kit. It's also possible to use 1/32nd scale after-market parts for 1/33rd scale card kits, but the cost of those details usually defeats the most significant advantage of card models, namely their affordability compared to other media. Same goes for using 3D-printed resin parts for ship models; in the case of my USS England build, I deemed the extra cost of those parts (and they weren't cheap) to be justifiable in light of the results they produced.

The pre-cut frames are just a convenience -- saves a lot of time spent cutting out thicker parts, which is hard on craft knife blades. The cost of laser-cut frames is well worth the marginal extra cost, IMO. Same goes for wheels -- I have made many sets of wheels from laminated disks sanded down to the proper shape, but the resin wheels save a lot of work and look much better.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco