Plank width pride of baltimore

If you're doing the outer planking and want to follow the prototype, you might want to get a copy of "Pride of Baltimore" by Thomas Gillmer, the naval architect who designed both Pride of Baltimore I and Pride of Baltimore II (~$10).  It includes a few photographs of POB II under construction.  The scantling plan for POB II on p. 165 states the frames were sided at 9".  That information and the photographs on pages 178, 184 and 176 suggest that planking amidships was ~9" wide (slightly under 1/8" in 5/32" scale) and tapered down to about 6" (5/64") at the bow and stern.  Gillmer co-authored a second book "Sailing with Pride" in 1990 (~$5), which appears to have a number of photographs of POB II underway and might be useful when working deck fittings.

Bill

Barbara,  Drawings of the Baltimore Clipper Badger shows wales and planking with widths of 8.5"   I do not know how accurate the drawings are but can be found at www.researchgate.net  I had not heard of them before nor do I know anything about them, but a quick look shows nice drawings with scantlings.  I don't know where they found the original information or if it is completely accurate, but they are pretty detailed and may be worth a look.    If you go to the site, just type Baltimore Clipper in the search box.  Not high resolution drawings, but if you need those maybe you can contact them to get something higher resolution.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Cut the 3/16 planks to the width you need. That won't be the same on all frames, they will require tapering as on the real vessel. Wider at the stern and narrower at the bow. Which planks do the instructions say to start with in those belts?

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"