Benjamin W Latham by B-Ram - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, B-Ram said:

I’ve gotten some paint on the hull. It turned out pretty good. I thought I did a good job building and sanding the hull, but the paint accented all of the imperfections. 

Well, you are not building a yacht. This is a fishing vessel and as such, it does not have to be perfect in appearance.

Perhaps, some of the imperfections can be fixed with caulking or putty and a new paint coat sprayed on top of the other one. Do not forget to sand in between paint coats.

Yves

Hi Yves,

I agree it's a fishing schooner and all of the pictures I have seen of fishing schooners, that have been working for years, have a lot of wear. I spent a lot of time sanding, filling running my fingers over the hull and looking at it from every angle. I was just surprised that it wasn't as smooth as I had thought. Looking back, I should have used a primer before final paint. That would have allowed me the opportunity fill and sand again before final paint. I think I got a little hurried to see the hull painted and did not take the time I should have taken. Overall, I am very happy with the way it is turning out. With everything I have learned during this build, I will be better prepared for my next build.

Thanks,

Bill

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone,

I haven't made any updates for a while. 

I have made some progress on the Lathem. She is coming along well. I have made quite a few mistakes, but I am learning a lot. As you can see in the pictures, I have also started a new project. This is the Occre Endurance. I have started a build thread for this. Also, I am gearing up for my first scratch build. The French Corvette L'Amarante. Beautiful plans of a beautiful ship. I have also been collecting a lot of books and reading a lot of building threads.

I originally started the Benjamin Latham to see I would like scale wooden ship building. Now look what I've done.🙂 

Thanks,

Bill

BL54.jpg.399aac73184bc8ba9e99b9995a07d431.jpg

BL55.jpg.0b51931a1bf363945dd1e3a84747c339.jpg

BL53.jpg.7eb35329ce3e2a3977c25b74c93ec88e.jpg

Your Latham looks great, Bill! I look forward to following your Endurance build too. Great choice of models!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• The title was changed to Benjamin W Latham by B-Ram - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48