Benjamin W Latham by B-Ram - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

Hey everyone,

OK. I never thought of myself as the sharpest tack in the box, but I am not getting this. I have read everything I can find and I have watched every video I can find, but it is not clicking yet. It will click eventually. It's just taking a while.

I do have a question that I hope someone can help me with.  One of the reference items I bought is the booklet "How To Build First-Rate Ship Models From Kits".  For planking, the Benjamin Latham is used as a reference in the booklet. On page 27 it discusses the layout of plank marks. As can be seen in the picture below, the booklet has included a picture of the of the plank marks on the bulkhead.  In counting the plank marks there are 22. When I divide the length of the bulkhead by 22 I come up with plank widths of 3/16". This is also the case when I measure the width of the planks on the plank layout on the plans The problem is, the kit is supplied with 1/4" plank material and this is confirmed on the kit material list. Are they suggesting that I cut down the 1/4" material down to 3/16". I must be missing something. I am enjoying earning everything along the way. Sometimes I just need a wack in the back of the head to give me that oh yeah moment. Where's Mrs. Tilton ( my third grade teacher) when I need that wack. 😄

Thank you so much if you can point me in the correct direction.

Bill

BL30.jpg.b0937eaacea83394926291b55a6cdc41.jpg

BL31.jpg.f2c5a49e84bccabe4dc13e1828d70491.jpg

Hey everyone. 

I have gotten a little work started. I have the garboard strake and the second planks in place on the starboard and ports sides. The only problem I saw was that I did not get the rabbet depth consistent along along the keel. That will need a little extra sanding to get the edge of the strake smooth across the edge of the keel. Also for this build, I am going to use Titebond Quick & Thick glue. It appears to be thicker and stays in place. It also seems to set up quicker.

Bill

BL32.jpg.65559d99afef96bf76186b6f24bec43e.jpg

BL33.jpg.07d90f24359e10f6fa13dc343d6fea35.jpg

I use Titebond Thick & Quick a lot and prefer it to regular Titebond since it isn't as runny and, generally, I can just use finger pressure for a few seconds to allow it to grab securely enough to move on.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

• 5 months later...

Hello B-Ram, I was just reviewing your build log since I'm thinking of adding this model to my stash. It's a beautiful ship. Have you made any more progress?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Hi Bob,

Well, I sold my house and am in the process of building a new one. Also, I am renting right now and everything is packed away. I should have thought this through. I am slowly going stir-crazy. The new house will be finished around the end of April. I am using this time to learn as much as I can about ship building on MSW. Lots of great builders.

Bill

Good luck on your new home build!

We are thinking seriously of a whole house remodel which would require us to move out for quite a long time and, as much as I want to do the remodel, I'm dreading all that is involved including moving out. I look forward to you getting back to your model at some time in the future.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

Well, my new home is finally finished. It took about a month longer than expected. For the most part, I have gotten my new shop set up. 

It's time to get back to work on the Benjamin Latham again. I am doing a little review of the instructions and what I have done so far. I've made the big start. 

Bill

Latham-1.jpg.9da291650520bd688e869ee5c4aa4acd.jpg

Hey everyone,

After review of the instructions and looking at the work I had finished, I noticed there were several areas that are in need of being corrected. Among the items that need to be corrected is to remove the planksheer and replace it. I am also questioning how I started the planking. Looking at what should have been done and what I did makes little sense.  

My motto has always been " Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up."

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have gotten the port side planked. Now I have to finish the starboard half.  I am sure I didn't follow the correct process for planking, but the planks went down with no issues. I will have a minimum amount of filler and sanding. I am happy with the results for my first planking effort and I am sure I will get better as I gain more experience. the biggest hurdle I found was how to hold the planks in place until the glue dries. I found that a combination of clamps and nails work the best for me.

Bill

BL34.jpg.a8f6e35c092ffb11a91793169dbd43ab.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

Sorry for the lack of posts, but I haven't had much progress other than fixing mistakes. I've been making some progress. I have gotten the stanchions in place.  When I started installing the stanchions, I discovered that I had installed the planksheer incorrectly. So I had to cut the planksheer out, which left it unusable. I made a plank sheer and fitting it in. I'm making quite a few mistakes, but I am learning and am enjoying the build. I have also been doing some sanding on the hull.

Bill

BL39.jpg.ec94524282914390dcc180e3d5353ca9.jpg

BL40.jpg.4120a625fefae5e31521347b5ed16144.jpg

Way to hang in there B-Ram. She's looking good! I doubt that I will ever build a model in which I wasn't fixing mistakes. Seems to be part of the ship modeling process...

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I have most of the deck planking finished. It has taken a while to it finished. Hope to be finished with the planking by tomorrow. Things should speed up going forward. Also, I build in my garage and with the cooler weather here in Florida I will be able to spend more time in the shop.

Bill

image.thumb.jpeg.5df56dc515f859819308435d3a640bbb.jpeg

Hi everyone,

I've gotten the deck planking finished. I am happy with the results being it was my first try. I have a little sanding to do, but not much. I will have to decide if I am going to stain or paint the deck. I was reading Howard Chapelle's book " The American Fishing Schooners" and in the section about fishing schooners of this time frame, they could be painted or stained.

Bill

BL42.jpg.1c9cbb9c59316ff8c03899003383f8eb.jpg

BL43.jpg.7e32a93d0a3c62b2add741d0414e0e88.jpg

Bill,

The decking looks really neat and crisp.

I can see why there would be a question about it's finish and like you referred to Chapelle when deciding how to finish mine. In the end I couldn't bear to cover the all the planking with paint so decided on what I suspect is a pretty non historic approach. I painted the outboard deck edges following the profile shown on the plans and applying a light stain / clear finish to the balance.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

My Current Project is the Pinky Schooner Dove Found here: Dove Build Log

Previously built schooners:

Benjamin Latham

Latham's Seine Boat

Prince de Neufchatel

Hi everyone,

I have started painting the bulwark, stanchions and planksheer before adding the main rail. I am using a satin acrylic paint. This will take several coats to give a good appearance. Painting did show that I need to do a much better job of finish sanding. The paint brings out all of the small imperfections.

Bill

BL44.jpg.4434e728c136b2f93b6700a87394908b.jpg