Benjamin W Latham by B-Ram - Model Shipways - Scale 1:48

Hi everyone, 

I was doing some research on the internet and found the photo below of the Benjamin Latham. Everything I have read has suggested that the hull was painted black and below the waterline red. Looking at the picture, it does not appear black. This is the only picture I have ever seen of the Latham.

Any thoughts?

Bill

1DBE52A7-C44F-4DE7-8F9F-F88BBA1FB773.thumb.jpeg.ce3ee0fd39be23687b8fcf9f57994dfb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I have been progressing slowly, with the build, to try to keep the mistakes to a minimum. I have started building the deck pieces. As the plans don’t give a great amount of fine detail, I have been doing a lot of research to help with that. Without any pictures of the Benjamin Latham, I have been using available pictures of fishing schooners of that time in the northeast. I have found some very interesting pictures. It seems that a good amount of construction  is specific to the designer of the boat. For example, I have started with the trunk cabin.   The construction of the exterior walls could be built using horizontal or vertical planking. Also, I have seen pictures of the roofs of the cabin’s built using anything from 2x2’s to what appears to be 2x6’s. I have found some pictures of a schooner from that time period, so I will be using them.

E8EA74A7-36BC-420D-9D47-43DB53C4A779.thumb.jpeg.4dcf2846da5458c6401cde8d813b3691.jpeg

Bill

1 hour ago, B-Ram said:

Hey everyone,

If there is a better way to determine the correct construction or if I am barking up the wrong tree please let me know. I would just like to be as accurate as I can be.  

Thanks,  Bill

Hi Bill I personally think that you are definitely going the right way and I think that so far you have made a fantastic job of your build.  That decking and top rail just look amazing!

Instructions that are lacking in clarity can be frustrating but, from the looks of your model, you're doing a wonderful job. She's a beauty already!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Bob.

For me half of the fun is all of the research that is needed to produce a worthy model. That doesn't mean I have the skills to produce a worthy model, but that never stopped me. I just found a book that I am going to order: Thomas F. McManus and The American Fishing Schooners. I was able to do a preview and it looks to be a good book. The book also has several pages on the Benjamin Latham. Can't wait to get it.

Thanks,  Bill

Bill,

I don't know about the Benjamin Latham but there are a lot of wonderful photos as well as drawings of the schooner Effie M. Morrisey on the Library of Congress website that may be of some help to you.    I would suggest you get a copy of the American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935 by Chappelle.   I find it a pain to use at times as there is no true index, but it is far superior to the McManus book regarding details.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello everyone,

Allan, thanks for the information. I have the American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935 by Chappelle and use it all of the time. I agree. The information in the book is all over the place, but I have gotten pretty good at finding what I need. I have not tried the Library of Congress and I feel there will be a learning curve to using it. I will check it out. I found a site that some pictures of the Lettie G. Howard. The boat is smaller, but it was built in the same time and area. The pictures have been very helpful.

Also thanks for the likes guys.

Thanks,  Bill

Hello,

It may have been already said….

Checkout the movie Captains Courageous….see the real schooners in action….

Never tire of watching it….

Your work is beautiful by the way….

Cheers! 

Hello everyone,

Allan,

I was a little confused when you suggested going to the Library of Congress and look up the Effie M. Morrissey. When I did a search, I was directed to the Ernestina. Then I read that the Effie M. Morrissey had been renamed to the Ernestina. Even more interesting was the picture I found where a name plaque for the Ernestina had been placed over the name Effie M. Morrissey. It seems a bit odd that someone would not give any effort to remove the old name. Cool stuff. That's what I love about research.

Happy New Year everyone.

Bill

service-pnp-habshaer-ma-ma1700-ma1719-photos-574250pv.jpg.10dcc4db82681dbc73840ffa9a2044df.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Yves - I like the lines of the schooners and as my first build, the lines of the hull made it easer to do my first planking. 

I am already looking ahead to my next build. I would like to try my hand at scratch building. It would be another schooner, but this time it would be larger. There are several nice sets of schooner plans being offered on the internet.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm going along very slowly now. It seems no matter how slow I go, I am still making some glaring mistakes. I'm blaming it on age, but I am having lots of fun and I am learning so much.

I have made a little progress. I have finished the deck hatches and am now working on the hawse pipe area and the manger. For reference, I am using a picture of the schooner Ernestina. There are some very nice and useful pictures on the Library of Congress website.

Bill

BL49.jpg.49decb1dc2780de27ea14decb0c8d628.jpg

BL50.jpg.b01337c061617f077d80bb8e3c90235d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have gotten to where I would like to apply a finish to the deck. This is a step I don't want to mess up and I feel I only have one try to get it right. My big problem is that I don't know anything about wood finishes. There is a lot of very good discussion on this site about finishes, such as stains or dyes, water based or lacquer based and so on. Unfortunately, after reading all of the information, I am still unsure want would be best direction. I would like to give the deck a subtle color enhancement without hiding the grain.

If anyone could give me any suggestions or direct me  to some information I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks,  Bill 

Try Wipe on Poly : it colors a tad darker the wood and provides a varnish like covering.

Try it on a piece of wood first, see if you like and then move on.

You can find it Lowe's or Home Depot. It is a Classic and lots of people are using it.

Yves

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I’ve gotten the deck stained. I decided to go with a water based stain. I had to do several coats for the deck to have a uniform color. As a result, the deck turned out darker than I had planned on. I’m going to have some touch up of the white paint after staining. Next I am going to get the hull ready for painting.

Bill

Bill0E7E3DA0-35AF-4DC7-8725-900E53FAA75D.thumb.jpeg.0f2c8edcb2f5287e129b192baccbbe41.jpeg

Edited by B-Ram