Cutting Planking

What's the best tool for cutting planking. I find that anything over 1mm is difficult to cut across the grain with an Exacto knife.

Thanks

Alan

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.

I have one of those Japanese pull saws. I guess I could use that, but these look better for the task. I'll check them out.

Thanks

Alan

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.

Types of sharp blades work well when cutting with the grain. But I always use a saw when cutting across the grain. Basswood is very soft and using the sharpest blade across the grain will tend to crush more than cut.

Razor saws work very well, and I've had good results with Japanese pull saws as well. Of course power saws, like the Byrne's saw, are the ultimate.

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

For just single planks I just use a very sharp chisel.  Works great for bass.  Depending on the thickness of the plank you might get a little crush on the off cut due to the bevel but then I just flip the chisel around and square it off again.