English Rebel

Chris Craft Runabout by English Rebel - Dumas Boats - Scale ⅛ - First wooden ship build for 55 years

This kit was on sale at Garrett Wade so I snapped it up. But first, a few shots of my now almost bare woodworking shop. It used to be filled with a table saw, bandsaw, planer, jointer all connected to a central dust collection system. Up until seven or eight years ago, I used to build furniture and clocks and other projects, but as I got older I decided to hang up my apron. Now I'm back where I was when I was a kid—building model boats.

Enjoy

Alan

IMG_0264.thumb.JPG.ad93e6bbf6bc507fa3b94467e61613d3.JPG

IMG_0261.thumb.JPG.b4da502c719dda3fbef69d59c3f14641.JPG

IMG_0262.thumb.JPG.02a848d6b1c4edfc1572c0c1d45401c8.JPG

This is the first thing I built—a much needed workbench.

IMG_0263.thumb.JPG.5a67ad579dcec6542414cd4c7569286f.JPG

I setup a caddy to house all of my clamps and glue and tools. BTW those clamps are junk. The plastic tips keep coming off.

IMG_0266.thumb.JPG.0b4293b4cc166d08d7570bf383e3bebe.JPG

Here's the Chris Craft with all the frames and keel glued up. It was tricky to get everything aligned properly. I don't much care for the material the frames are made from (balsa ply?).

IMG_0267.thumb.JPG.fc7609a55a1ffe19d0a08f3f44a922c4.JPG

The instructions said to just glue the frames to the underside of the deck, but I found additional bracing was required.

IMG_0268.thumb.JPG.3a3054a80c1868cd1d16af5f0b3302e8.JPG

Another kit awaiting my attention. I didn't realize that this was designed by Chris Watton. I haven't decided whether to build this one after the Chris Craft, or Zulu, 'Lady Isabella' any thoughts??

IMG_0265.thumb.JPG.5a13ca0cfbaf5c9cbaa24b2db9e86daa.JPG

Alan, I don't know if I welcomed you to our "World".
Well I am impressed, if you know Norm Abram and has built furniture for a long time, this will be easy for you.
Having a workshop like yours must be a dream. 

14 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Alan, I don't know if I welcomed you to our "World".
Well I am impressed, if you know Norm Abram and has built furniture for a long time, this will be easy for you.
Having a workshop like yours must be a dream. 

Thanks. The workshop looks a little empty now. 

Alan

17 hours ago, English Rebel said:

I haven't decided whether to build this one after the Chris Craft, or Zulu, 'Lady Isabella' any thoughts??

Purely for selfish reasons, I’d love to see a log of the Amati Fifie. I’ve long looked at the kit and considered it as a future build. Beautiful workshop by the way.

1 minute ago, VTHokiEE said:

Purely for selfish reasons, I’d love to see a log of the Amati Fifie. I’ve long looked at the kit and considered it as a future build. Beautiful workshop by the way.

Thanks. I was asking to see which one would be easier to build seeing as though the Chris Craft is the first boat I will build that has hull planking.

Alan

2 minutes ago, English Rebel said:

which one would be easier to build

Ah, pardon my mistake, I believe Chris designed the Zulu specifically targeting a novice so I would suggest the Zulu with that in mind. There is also at least one build log for the Zulu:

I don't think there are any for the Amati Fifie; it helps me to see what someone did in a log as well as the instructions (reinforcing the Zulu suggestion).

1 minute ago, VTHokiEE said:

Ah, pardon my mistake, I believe Chris designed the Zulu specifically targeting a novice so I would suggest the Zulu with that in mind. There is also at least one build log for the Zulu:

I don't think there are any for the Amati Fifie; it helps me to see what someone did in a log as well as the instructions (reinforcing the Zulu suggestion).

Okay, got it. I think Chris was the one who built the first one so he could compile the instructions and provide a finished model for the photo on the box. If his instructions are anything like the ones for the Fifie, it will be an easy build. One of the reasons why I purchased it, is because of the review that was posted on this website.
Alan

After much glueing of the plastic substrate, I finally got the bottom of the hull finished. Now on to the deck and the sitting compartments.

Alan

IMG_0271.thumb.JPG.92174120c8b78522aa73b99d65fd3901.JPG

I had to run out to O'Reillys for some Bondo to fill in the bow and the small joints between the pieces of plastic. Need a tad more filler; I wish I had picked up a tube of body putty while I was there as it fills all the small 'pores' and sanding scratches. I think I'll head back and pick up a tube. More sanding with finer grit paper as the hull below the chine is painted. The area above gets mahogany planking.

IMG_0273.thumb.JPG.2674ae9803d9b3e7ede624806234f258.JPG

The transom

IMG_0272.thumb.JPG.317524c8ea8808d5b555d8dee7d59282.JPG