Golden Hind 1575 by bosco72 - Airfix Classic - 1:72 - first ever model build

One time I opened my box with this model and...closed...

realised I need to read too much books , before start build it... "intimidating"- new english word for me !!! :))) ,

Yes - fully agree, it is very complicated kit...and as I know,very interesting in assembling....

have You seen this build ?

https://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/t125f165-to-Victory-and-beyond.html

guys,

just tried to make reverse translation from english to russian my posts...it looks like abracadabra of 10-15% of my written text

I'm very sorry for inconvinience when you are reading my "english" posts 🤪

Edited by kirill4

17 hours ago, kirill4 said:

One time I opened my box with this model and...closed...

realised I need to read too much books , before start build it... "intimidating"- new english word for me !!! :))) ,

Yes - fully agree, it is very complicated kit...and as I know,very interesting in assembling....

have You seen this build ?

https://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/t125f165-to-Victory-and-beyond.html

Yes I have read through this build in great detail. I am also watching/following several onging builds of this model and many older builds. My plan is to do the older original model with no mods, then do the second one custom. I'm not a big fan of the etched parts, I don't think they bring anything to the build, and they are extemly expensive, which adds to an already very costly model. That said the Dafi build log is massively fun to read and very informative. Dafi is clearly very talented. (I just want to add that, I think the etched parts are amazing and when I say they don't bring anything, they clearly add a level of refinement. I just meant, I think the kit is great as it is) 

Edited by bosco72

On 1/10/2021 at 3:04 AM, bosco72 said:

I'm thinking of adding the Revell kit English Man O'war 1/96 to my collection. Does anyone know why the back mast was purposely leaning? Thanks. 

It is the mast rake.  The following article may help explain it:

https://www.woodenboat.com/whiskey_plank/why-mast-rake

I hope this helps

Jeff

4 hours ago, Jeff T said:

It is the mast rake.  The following article may help explain it:

https://www.woodenboat.com/whiskey_plank/why-mast-rake

I hope this helps

Jeff

This is super interesting, as I have read through a couple of Revell English Man O'war builds, and there was debate on the raking being too much. I think it will be my next build, and Im OK with tilting the masts as the kit dictates, I hope maybe I can counter the crows nests, as tilting them also makes no sense.

Edited by bosco72

Good day,

Dear Bosco,

I don't  know why , but your stays , fore and main are fitted in wrong way... very wrong :)))

for example,there is no room for fore sail being left...???

Or You did it in purpose?

In such case just discard my comment as unimportant :)

Screenshot_20210113-170336_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20210113-170312_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Edited by kirill4

19 minutes ago, kirill4 said:

Good day,

Dear Bosco,

I don't  know why , but your stays , fore and main are fitted in wrong way... very wrong :)))

You are correct, great spot, I would have missed that. I'm not fitting the sails but I will make sure there is sufficient room as if the sails was to be fitted. Thank you so much. 

22 hours ago, kirill4 said:

Good day,

Dear Bosco,

Hello, from images could you point out which is wrong, as I'm working roughly to the below image and the kit instructions, thanks. Also I'm not going for a 100% accurate recreation here, just trying to get in the ball park, as I learn about rigging, lots of reading needed. That said more than happy to know my mistakes. 

IMG_20210114_121747.jpg

IMG_20210114_122429.jpg

Edited by bosco72

Good day,

Assembled model generally looks right , but masts are not strait anymore probably due to excessive tensions of the rigging...

There are more good pictures with clear details which You could use as guidance for making rigging

il_fullxfull.698050689_dl87.jpg

91PWOShPQfL._SL1500_.jpg

Фрегаты _Golden_Hind_1575_2.jpg

53 minutes ago, kirill4 said:

Good day,

Assembled model generally looks right , but masts are not strait anymore probably due to excessive tensions of the rigging...

There are more good pictures with clear details which You could use as guidance for making rigging

il_fullxfull.698050689_dl87.jpg

91PWOShPQfL._SL1500_.jpg

Фрегаты _Golden_Hind_1575_2.jpg

Hello thank you so much for your feedback. It is always greatly appreciated and very important. 

I have ensured there is only the slightest bit of tension to any of the rigging as was advised in an earlier post; anything excessive could snap the plastic masts. So I have used just enough to make the string taught and not sagging. What you could be seeing is the slight rake in the front and back masts that the kit dictates. Also I have purposly got the ship on a tilt on the stand dipping forward and leaning slightly to one side, so that the all decks are visable when viewing from the side.

Again, thank you for the feedback and thank you for the great images. 

Progress. 2nd image shows using scissor clamps to add weight to rope loops soaked with pva. A different methed found when reading from using a jig to mould the ropes. Doing the rigging has been my favourite part of this build so far. Painting and detailing a close second. Hopefully as time passes with further builds I will improve on accuracey and technique.

IMG_20210116_163552.jpg

IMG_20210116_164055.jpg

IMG_20210116_163603.jpg

Good day,

Dear Bosco72,

Please advise, what is the purpose of this rigging?

Can't understand their functionality...seems to me there could be something wrong with arrangements...

All the best!

Kirill

49 minutes ago, kirill4 said:

Good day,

Dear Bosco72,

Please advise, what is the purpose of this rigging?

Can't understand their functionality...seems to me there could be something wrong with arrangements...

All the best!

Kirill

I'm not sure which part of the rigging you are talking about, if you are saying it is all incorrect then as I said; I'm OK with that. At this point, with this build it is serving as a test, a fun learning curve.

If you are actually asking about the string, it serves no purpose what so ever? It's string on a plastic model, it has no functionality at all. It's decorative? 

If you want me to pretend it was a full sized sailing vessel; I would have to say, I don't know wat the exact function of each rope. At this point in time, I currently do not know enough about rigging a full sized working vessel. But I'm reading and I'm learning.

Do I want to undo and change my every mistake as I learn more, not really, I don't have the time, I work 50 to 60 hours a week, have 3 kids and do my share of running a very busy household. 

This is my first model and I'm still figuring this all out, whilst trying to enjoy this process. 

Hope this goes in some way to answer your question. 

Edited by bosco72

Practicing whipping (common) and seizing, no glue. 

What I'm struggling with, is the first couple of turns once you have both loops in place.

I'm using bees wax, but I don't see how this helps here. (I know it stops the string from being fluffy, I also find it works really well when making knots) 

IMG_20210116_174246.jpg

I'm sorry,

I didn't attach picture to my post, I thought I did it but actually  not ,sorry

I questioned about this rigging 

20210116_213009.jpg