Golden Hind 1575 by bosco72 - Airfix Classic - 1:72 - first ever model build

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

I have the Heller 1/100 HMS Victory up next. From what I understand it could be this time next year before I finish it. 

I also have this kit, two versions a recent release and a vintage one from the 70s/80s. Been studying it for several months. I have a bunch of books If you need any reference images posting. Will be super interested in following your build log on this. 

It is actually a Christmas gift I know in advance I am getting in advance. So I won’t get to start it until after Christmas. Give me plenty of time to devote to finishing the Man O War and building it’s display case. Have a lot of reference material as well but will certainly reach out to you for advice. 

7 hours ago, Bill97 said:

It is actually a Christmas gift I know in advance I am getting in advance. So I won’t get to start it until after Christmas. Give me plenty of time to devote to finishing the Man O War and building it’s display case. Have a lot of reference material as well but will certainly reach out to you for advice. 

I think maybe you misunderstood, I'm a complete novice, (although I do have many years of 3d modeling in the gaming industry) I have the kits but Ive not built them up yet. I think you have much more ship modeling experience than me. My intention was to build the victory as it has a very personal meaning to me, but I feel I'm not yet ready. So Ive started out on the Hind because it too has a significance, as many years ago when I was a small child I watched my late father build the same kit. 

That is a really nice memory for you Bosco. What is your personal meaning with the Victory?  I am old enough to have several grandsons. Two enjoy helping me build the model ships. I purchased the Revell 1/225 Victory for them and am helping them build it. I hope they continue to have interest in these ships.

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

That is a really nice memory for you Bosco. What is your personal meaning with the Victory?  I am old enough to have several grandsons. Two enjoy helping me build the model ships. I purchased the Revell 1/225 Victory for them and am helping them build it. I hope they continue to have interest in these ships.

My grandad worked on the Victory on and off over many years as part of the repairs and restoration teams, which started in 1955 and lasted long after he died. He took me there many times when I was old enough not to be a handful through the 80s, I've spent many many hours wondering around the decks of victory when I was young boy (within reason, I used to get shouted at a lot for being where I wasnt suppose to be) 

That is incredible Bosco. No wonder you have such great memories!  I guess you lived, and maybe still do, live somewhere near where it is docked?  I have a number of YouTube videos of the Victory I look at often. Have to say I am envious of your experience. 

1 hour ago, Bill97 said:

That is incredible Bosco. No wonder you have such great memories!  I guess you lived, and maybe still do, live somewhere near where it is docked?  I have a number of YouTube videos of the Victory I look at often. Have to say I am envious of your experience. 

We lived very close, I don't anymore moved away a long long time ago. Good memories, my grandad was my world when I was a young boy. Both my dad and grandad had been in the navy for quite sometime over the course of their lives. They could both tell a good story. The Victory is in Portsmouth, been in dry dock (2) for about 100 years, although they have updated how it is supported with more modern technology. 

10 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Bosco are you making your own ratlines?  If so, is that by choice or a part of the Airfix build?  That is something I have not tried before. What issue are you having with the glue?

Yes and no is the answer, there is a jig/tool that is provided that allows you to make templates, but I'm trying to find, decent looking thread, and working glue. Or do I make my own scale thread/ropes and use hitch knotting? Not sure I'm skilled enough to do that at this scale. 

10 hours ago, bosco72 said:

Yes and no is the answer, there is a jig/tool that is provided that allows you to make templates, but I'm trying to find, decent looking thread, and working glue. Or do I make my own scale thread/ropes and use hitch knotting? Not sure I'm skilled enough to do that at this scale. 

Hi Bosco, 

Regards your glue for rigging I had the same problem a long time ago until I discovered this, I swear by it, it is ideal for rigging and any sort of material, especially where it is very intricate.  I have used it ever since.

20201109_210628.jpg

7 hours ago, Robert Taylor said:

Hi Bosco, 

Regards your glue for rigging I had the same problem a long time ago until I discovered this, I swear by it, it is ideal for rigging and any sort of material, especially where it is very intricate.  I have used it ever since.

20201109_210628.jpg

As I was reading up on clove hitch knots, I saw your post. Thank you ill give it a go. Got some on order. 

17 hours ago, bosco72 said:

Making rope coils for the deck, put double sided tape down and ran 0.5mm thread round in a coil, pulling up and pushing down as I went, getting the shape to hold, then covered the coil in pva. Fingers crossed it pops off the sticky tape and works out. 

IMG_20201109_200934.jpg

I think this worked out OK added a dark wash to the thread, water 75/25 burnt umber acrylic. 

IMG_20201110_132426.jpg

Hi bosco,

I thought I'd chip in my $0.02 from experience with the Airfix Victory... I would highly recommend you replace the kit deadeyes with proper deadeyes as it provides more rigging stability when you begin work on the masts. But it all depends on how much extra punishment you'd want to take 😉

Cheers,

Ron

6 hours ago, rkwz said:

Hi bosco,

I thought I'd chip in my $0.02 from experience with the Airfix Victory... I would highly recommend you replace the kit deadeyes with proper deadeyes as it provides more rigging stability when you begin work on the masts. But it all depends on how much extra punishment you'd want to take 😉

Cheers,

Ron

Thank you, I agree and want to have a go. Where can I get them from that is cost effective, I would need a lot of them. 

Made the call to remove the channels, for better access, also found when making the wire loop gently tightening it would reduce the size but keep the shape getting it that fraction smaller. (not painted yet) The middle loop will have to go. Also paintwork needs touching up. 

IMG_20201113_070329.jpg

IMG_20201113_070409.jpg

IMG_20201113_070333.jpg

Edited by bosco72

Hi Bosco, I'm thinking to start on the Airfix Golden Hind too...

Haven't quite worked out the scale tables, but I'll be referring to Noel Hackney's guide for the Mayflower. The Mayflower is of the same era @ 1:96 scale so I'd imagine the sizes are quite similar (blocks range from 3mm down to 1mm).

Also, unlike the Victory which has a wealth of info to refer to at Portsmouth, the Golden Hind is much more open to interpretation and guesswork based on contemporary paintings and shout outs... There is a replica of it docked at London too. 

Still need to do more research though so I can't give an exact answer at the moment...

Edited by rkwz

5 hours ago, rkwz said:

Hi Bosco, I'm thinking to start on the Airfix Golden Hind too...

Haven't quite worked out the scale tables, but I'll be referring to Noel Hackney's guide for the Mayflower. The Mayflower is of the same era @ 1:96 scale so I'd imagine the sizes are quite similar (blocks range from 3mm down to 1mm).

Also, unlike the Victory which has a wealth of info to refer to at Portsmouth, the Golden Hind is much more open to interpretation and guesswork based on contemporary paintings and shout outs... There is a replica of it docked at London too. 

Still need to do more research though so I can't give an exact answer at the moment...

Thank you so much, would love to follow your build. The reading I have done, suggests maybe using, 3 sizes. 5mm/3mm/2mm. But I will definitely take all the advice I can get. 

Edited by bosco72