Golden Hind 1575 by bosco72 - Airfix Classic - 1:72 - first ever model build

I understood it should be running rigging of main and topsails , at least such running rigging ocupate this area as a rule

the only difference will be how to show them ...

I  have some pictures made by famous author Ab Hoving which probably could help You in rigging your galleon model and save some time otherwise ness-ry for study books about rigging 

Screenshot_20210117-013317_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-013325_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-013305_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-013250_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-013241_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-013226_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-013209_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210117-013151_Gallery.jpg

On 1/16/2021 at 10:04 PM, kirill4 said:

I'm sorry,

I didn't attach picture to my post, I thought I did it but actually  not ,sorry

I questioned about this rigging 

20210116_213009.jpg

Im using lots of different reference images for inspiration, they are not exact and I don't have any blocks. I'm mainly using images of the Mayflower. 

Thank you for your helpful contributions.

Screenshot_20210117_115121.jpg

Screenshot_20210117_114615.jpg

Screenshot_20210117_114850.jpg

Screenshot_20210118_010947.jpg

Edited by bosco72

Mayflower rigging is almost identical to the fluit's rigging I shown to You earlier/ Ab Hoving reconstruction ...

Please don't hurry up and check rigging lines of main and top sails and yards rigging and how they are working and attached to belaying points...

Please be familiar with all that lifts lines,clew lines,leach lines of the sails  etc. :)))...

a little time need to spend for this study ... and You will find some interesting and funny  things You made now in your rigging :)))

one of the rigging lines You shown by arrows,most probably  are main sail tie halliyards and another one most probably topsail lifts... but they doesn't looks like you shown on your model, when all that lines just attached to topsail yard :)))...there is no sence at all to show such rigging arrangements :)))

however , I think ,it is your model, and You can do whatever You like to do on it ,just to get fun ! 

Wish You All The Best!

Kirill

Edited by kirill4

Good day,

Dear Bosco72,

As far as I know ahchor cable siezed to the anchor with special knot ,

please tell us why did You choose this kind of anchor cable attachment?

picture from this book... just as example , this knot used during centures to secure anchor's cable...

Vasa's anchor cable.jpg

Vasa's title list.jpg

this kind of knob more suitable for ordinary , let' s say , standing parts of running rigging...in case You want to secure cable standing part of tackle running rigging to the ring bolt on the deck , for example...

1 hour ago, kirill4 said:

this kind of knob more suitable for ordinary , let' s say , standing parts of running rigging...in case You want to secure cable standing part of tackle running rigging to the ring bolt on the deck , for example...

Thank you. 

It's challed a anchor bend/anchor hitch knot.

Could you show me an example from one of your builds? Thanks. 

Bosco72,

I didn't reach this stage on my model yet \

I saw anchor hitch knot need to be made ...and  planned to try to do it as shown in Mondfeld  or Landstrem "Vasa" book.

May be will do it on this week...

46 minutes ago, kirill4 said:

Bosco72,

I didn't reach this stage on my model yet \

I saw anchor hitch knot need to be made ...and  planned to try to do it as shown in Mondfeld  or Landstrem "Vasa" book.

May be will do it on this week...

I like the detail, I'll give it a try and post the results. 

it looks good and accurate, is it like N170 knot from the page posted above?

if I not mistaken,for big,heavy anchor often used knot N169 from the same illustration

as example VICTORY anchor 

Victory anchor 120035406.jpg

Edited by kirill4

@kirill4, like the progress. Looks good too. I like the rough rigging your doing which adds to the age look of it.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

8 hours ago, Jonathan11 said:

@kirill4, like the progress. Looks good too. I like the rough rigging your doing which adds to the age look of it.

Thank you. Your feedback is much appreciated.

It was always my aim to make the ship to appear well used. Some of my rigging choices have been out of lack of knowledge and lack of experience, but I'm trying to make it work, without having to backtrack too much. I've already scrapped my rigging twice before and don't want to do it again. 

An excellent reference for ship building information is: Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Mondfeld. You can pick up used copies for cheap on ebay or amazon. Just have to hunt for them on ebay. Has great explanations and images to explain all the different parts of ship building and is written for the layman. If you can get a copy, you'll be glad you did.

I had a bunch of questions for my build on the Alabama, this book helped in solving the problems and build styles. My used copy ran ten bucks with four bucks shipping so there's a way to get them without breaking the bank!

:cheers:

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

20 hours ago, Jonathan11 said:

An excellent reference for ship building information is: Historic Ship Models by Wolfram zu Mondfeld. You can pick up used copies for cheap on ebay or amazon. Just have to hunt for them on ebay. Has great explanations and images to explain all the different parts of ship building and is written for the layman. If you can get a copy, you'll be glad you did.

I had a bunch of questions for my build on the Alabama, this book helped in solving the problems and build styles. My used copy ran ten bucks with four bucks shipping so there's a way to get them without breaking the bank!

:cheers:

Thank you. Your advice is much appreciated. That book is very costly in my part of the world, but I will keep looking, as I may get lucky. I've seen a digital version and it definitely looks like a book I would like to add to the shelf. 

Edited by bosco72

7 hours ago, bosco72 said:

I'm not sure where I read it, but would the first shroud line be whipped of each set of shrouds and rat lines? Thanks in advance for any answers. 

Search rigging Bounty ship model, then look at the images. You'll have  a load of free images to learn from.

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

8 hours ago, bosco72 said:

I thought I would have completed by now. Still a long list of thing to complete. 

I completely understand you.  I feel that way, too, when I think of all the things that I still have to do for my own build.  I’m sometimes thinking about the rigging for my Revell Spanish Galleon, even though I know that for me, that step may be a long time in the future.  Ship model building is very intricate and involved, even if you are building a plastic kit.  If you don’t rush and spend the extra time to make it, you will be very proud of the results.

Hi,

Decided to look in to see how your build is going. See you managed to get the book on the Mayflower. Everything you need to rig this ship is in that book, you don't really have to buy any others to get it accurate.

Bit confused about your rigging and interested, without any form of malice, to know what you are trying to achieve. Did you want your rigging to be accurate or a great visual display? Only ask as cannot see how the ship would be able to sail with your configuration.

Only asking out of interest. Please do not take the wrong way. 

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

2 hours ago, Thunder said:

Hi,

Decided to look in to see how your build is going. See you managed to get the book on the Mayflower. Everything you need to rig this ship is in that book, you don't really have to buy any others to get it accurate.

Bit confused about your rigging and interested, without any form of malice, to know what you are trying to achieve. Did you want your rigging to be accurate or a great visual display? Only ask as cannot see how the ship would be able to sail with your configuration.

Only asking out of interest. Please do not take the wrong way. 

Hello, thank you for your input. Its much appreciated. 

On this build, I was /am never sure of what I am doing. So I am treating this more as my practice, learning curve. I'm not sure where my skill levels are also. I try something then I change it as and when I learn something new, I know if I keep doing this, it will never get completed. 

If I was to answer, I would say I'm happy for it to look good, but if I can do something that looks accurate and I can achieve it, then that is OK too. So a bit of both would be nice.

Im about to strip all the rigging of the model for the 4th time. It can be a little daunting to think, I could be still doing this for the 10th time or the 100th time.