Golden Hind 1575 by bosco72 - Airfix Classic - 1:72 - first ever model build

Mod podge didn't impress, tested on a piece of sprue, like I do with my acrylics to see how the dry, it looked OK, I got the gloss one. On the ship it dried clear but was no where near as good as the Vallejo varnish. (photo order: dried, application, product) 

IMG_20201031_093827.jpg

IMG_20201030_234347.jpg

IMG_20201031_093851.jpg

Edited by bosco72

I like your model and the way you are painting it, but I cannot help noticing that weathering excessively the decks of your ship might be detractive to the look of the ship. Crew of His Majesty Navy, like the ones of other navies, made a point of pride keeping the decks always clean and in good order. There were practical reasons at the origin of that. Every day the decks were cleaned and rubbed extensively and as a consequence, they looked clean and quite uniformly bleached by the abrasive action and by the sun. However, this is not  a criticism, but just an observation.

Best regards,

Dan.

Edited by Danstream

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

3 hours ago, Danstream said:

I like your model and the way you are painting it, but I cannot help noticing that weathering excessively the decks of your ship might be detractive to the look of the ship. Crew of His Majesty Navy, like the ones of other navies, made a point of pride keeping the decks always clean and in good order. There were practical reasons at the origin of that. Every day the decks were cleaned and rubbed extensively and as a consequence, they looked clean and quite uniformly bleached by the abrasive action and by the sun. However, this is not  a criticism, but just an observation.

Best regards,

Dan.

Totally agree, been doing a ton of research for a future project (hms victory) just having a little fun with it at this point. My next project is going to be a clean paint job, as I said lots of research is being done. Thank you for commenting though, I really appreciate the interest and pointers. I need all the help I can get. Thank you again. 

Changed my mind on the rigging colour, not happy with how the deadeyes look, still. Going to make the shroud lines black, and ratlines used rope colour. Also the standing rigging black. I will work on the idea that the black ropes may have been tarred. Will have to use glue solvent to remove the few I have already stuck on. I will paint the deadeyes wood colour and the fake plastic shroud/pullys ropes black. 

Edited by bosco72

Waiting for some supply's to arrive. Would like to add, ropes/thread to the gun hatches, thicker rope/chain for anchors, add further/extra rigging that's not in the kit instructions. Also will post some images of other work and general photos that helped inspire and influence some of my choices on this build so far. 

Edited by bosco72

23 hours ago, bosco72 said:

Changed my mind on the rigging colour, not happy with how the deadeyes look, still. Going to make the shroud lines black, and ratlines used rope colour. Also the standing rigging black. I will work on the idea that the black ropes may have been tarred. Will have to use glue solvent to remove the few I have already stuck on. I will paint the deadeyes wood colour and the fake plastic shroud/pullys ropes black. 

Good idea.
I have also used white wire for this application on my Vasa. That was  a really bad idea

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Updated the deadeyes, mast joints (not complete) to black and started to add some rigging - the thread was too thin in my opinion so I have doubled it up. Using gel glue, so it does not run or drip (not that it matters, more of -  wanted to test it) also waiting on a glue fixer spray to see if that adds anything to the process. 

IMG_20201103_222424.jpg

IMG_20201103_222432.jpg

IMG_20201103_222716.jpg

IMG_20201103_222724.jpg

IMG_20201103_222732.jpg

IMG_20201103_222741.jpg

IMG_20201103_222752.jpg

Edited by bosco72

free advice

Normally the standing rigging is done first (black wire) That is the wire that keeps the masts in place.

Then the running rigging (natural wire color) That is the wire that the yards and sails operate

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2 hours ago, Backer said:

free advice

Normally the standing rigging is done first (black wire) That is the wire that keeps the masts in place.

Then the running rigging (natural wire color) That is the wire that the yards and sails operate

I see the colour change in only a few models I look at, most look like they have been done with the same thread. (that said, I've seen some amazing works of art out there) I understand the functions (lots of reading) of the rigging and I've read many different opinions on model rigging order. On this one I thought I'd keep it simple to see if I actually could do it and if I would enjoy doing it, as it looks to be the most complex part of most models of this type.

Thank you for the advice and contributing to this build, it is really important to me and very much appreciated. 

More progress, created new shrouds and ratlines, will colour the ratlines slightly. The picture with them in place, it's not fixed, just placed to see what they would look like. Tested different glue, pva, tamiya, in the end dabbing a version of superglue with a small stick worked the best. 

IMG_20201105_225442.jpg

IMG_20201105_225546.jpg

IMG_20201105_225540.jpg

Edited by bosco72

Looking good!  Keep at it!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hello Bosco72. I am looking at purchasing this model for my next build. Could you tell me your estimate of what the finished ship’s size will be?  I pretty much do 1/96 and 1/100 scale. Never did a1/72 like this Golden Hind. Wonder just how big it is and if I will have a space to display it when finished. Also the information I found on the kit says it has just a little over a 100 parts. Is that correct?  It looks more complicated than that. 

14 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Hello Bosco72. I am looking at purchasing this model for my next build. Could you tell me your estimate of what the finished ship’s size will be?  I pretty much do 1/96 and 1/100 scale. Never did a1/72 like this Golden Hind. Wonder just how big it is and if I will have a space to display it when finished. Also the information I found on the kit says it has just a little over a 100 parts. Is that correct?  It looks more complicated than that. 

It's roughly about 18 inches long and on the stand it's about 16 inches tall, I'm not sure how many parts there are to it, but I found assembling it super simple, any mistakes I've made have been down to me not paying enough attention. (understanding the over simple shroud and ratline jig) I can post the pictures of the instructions if that will give you a better understanding of what is involved. 

33 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Thanks Bosco. So it is not that big. My Cutty Sark and Constitution are over 30” long and over 20” tall at 1/96 scale. I was concerned this model might be near the 40” length at 1/72. I guess the “actual” ship was much smaller than those ships. 

Roughly the Hind was guessed to be around 100 foot, where as the Sark is about 280. The kit is not complicated at all, the next one I do will be much more complex, as I want to do something that the build will last a long time. 

Edited by bosco72