More U.S.Coast Guard models

swasson

I'm including some more photos of my models. My first scratch-built model was of IRIS the the buoy tender. I was 14 and had a subscription to the magazine "Ships and the Sea". They always ran a modeling project and someone did a multi-part story about this cutter. It had plans that fit on a magazine page, photos of the prototype and of the contruction process (bread and butter). So I got some balsa sheets and built up a block to carve. My father took me into NYC one day to go Polks Model Hobbies on 5th Ave. so I could purchase some of the fittings.

Later as you can see I built the radio control Hornbeam.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

suzy's camera 776 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 777.JPG

suzy's camera 779 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 780 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 781 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 785.JPG

suzy's camera 786 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 787.JPG

suzy's camera 775 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 775.JPG

I have a set of plans for the “Tree Class” Buoy Tenders built in Duluth, MN during World War II.  They are official USCG drawings and include a Booklet of General Plans and Lines and Mold Loft Offsets.  I will never use them and intended to give them to a local University Library’s maritime collection once they reopen.

Instead, if anyone would like to have them for the cost of shipping, it’s a big roll, send me a PM.

I particularly like the motor lifeboat model.

Roger

23 hours ago, swasson said:

I'm including some more photos of my models. My first scratch-built model was of IRIS the the buoy tender. I was 14 and had a subscription to the magazine "Ships and the Sea". They always ran a modeling project and someone did a multi-part story about this cutter. It had plans that fit on a magazine page (hence the size of the model), photos of the prototype and of the construction process (bread and butter). So I got some balsa sheets and built up a block to carve. My father took me into NYC one day to go Polks Model Hobbies on 5th Ave. so I could purchase some of the fittings.

During WWII a deck gun was mounted on the platform aft of the funnel.

Later as you can see I built the radio control Hornbeam.

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

suzy's camera 776 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 777.JPG

suzy's camera 779 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 780 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 781 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 785.JPG

suzy's camera 786 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 787.JPG

suzy's camera 775 - Copy.JPG

suzy's camera 775.JPG

Swasson,  Give some thought to posting these of your completed models in the Gallery.  It's a more appropriate place then in the Introduction area.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)