Greetings from Chestnut, Illinois

Hello, everyone!  🙂 I am a longtime plastic model kit builder who began the Model Shipways 1768 Armed Virginia Sloop (using Bob Hunt's excellent Lauck Street Shipyard practicum) about ten years ago...I got a good start on the kit (first layer of planking done, plus assembly of various other elements) and then an untimely divorce interrupted everything (looooong story). I am a published author (see my 'About Me'), and have decided to re-attempt the AVS, using a brand-new kit and all-new equipment, even re-purchasing Hunt's practicum. I have absorbed the build log by the venerable captain_hook on this site, and will use it as a shining example of just how good this model can be. In the meantime, my goal is to learn as much as I can as I prepare to begin building --- I intend to start after finishing work on my current writing project, and will use the AVS as a reward to myself when done, by means of motivation.

I intend for this to be my long-term 'old man' activity (I'm 58 now), and will do it as long as I am able. I am reasonably intelligent, patient and eager to learn, so I don't think I will be scared off by challenges. My ultimate goals are Moby Dick's Pequod, John Paul Jones' Bonhomme Richard, and the USS Constitution. I am fully aware that the first two will be very difficult to achieve, as they will require adapting existing kits (I doubt that scratch-building is in my skill set, or at least I'm very intimidated by the notion!). I'm also interested in ships like the HMS Bounty, the Mayflower, and the HMS Surprise from O'Brien's Master and Commander novels. So...my goals are likely ambitious beyond my skill set! 🤪 

At any rate, I'm glad to be preparing to resume this grand undertaking, and I humbly hope for everyone's assistance.

Cheers, and be well during this stressful and difficult time!

Edited by Commander Bond, RNSVR

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW! Sounds like you've got your ideas planned out well in advance, with a minimum of 6 ships to do after you've finished the AVS. That should keep you going for a while :dancetl6:

Pequod is of course a fictional ship, and as far as I know nobody does a whaler kit - but I could be wrong. Whaling ships had some very interesting characteristics that distinguished them from other ships at a glance, such as  "crow's nests" on the masts instead of a normal top. (see https://modelshipworld.com/topic/15552-what-is-a-crows-nest/?tab=comments#comment-483331 ). I'm not sure how much description of the Pequod is in the book, but you could certainly build a model that is as much like her as it is possible to get with the information available. 

The others are all real, and many have kits available.

I think your first project, the AVS, is a great way to get back into modelling. You'll probably find it easier than the first time you did it, simply because you've done it before.

And make sure you start a build log when you begin you model. The instructions are here:

It's a great way to get help and advice - and encouragement - as you build your model.

Best wishes with it, and have fun.

Steven