Some Master's Theses on Figureheads, Naval Clothing and Hammocks

trippwj

While perusing the available theses at the East Carolina University (as I am wont to do on occasion), I came across these three which, individually, may appeal to some of you.

Brenkle, Matthew P. 2004. “Blue Jackets and White Trousers: British and American Sailor Clothing, 1750-1815.” Thesis, East Carolina University. https://thescholarship.ecu.edu/handle/10342/6615.
Green, Catherine M. 2003. “Nineteenth-Century North American Figureheads from the Mariners’ Museum Collection: A Historical Overview, and a Study of Twenty-Two Carvings in the Museum’s Collection.” Thesis, East Carolina University. https://thescholarship.ecu.edu/handle/10342/6622.
Panico, Michele. 2018. “Hammock: A Maritime Tool.” Masters, East Carolina University. https://thescholarship.ecu.edu/handle/10342/7036.

Please let me know if you have any questions (or are seeking information of a specific type - you never know what I may have in my somewhat eclectic collection).

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thank you, Wayne, three good finds.

A quick skim through the thesis on hammocks unearthed something new on just about every page, will give it proper attention later.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

The Nautical Archaeology Program at Texas A&M Univ (TAMU) also has students thesis available for download.

https://nautarch.tamu.edu/academic/alum.htm

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

1 hour ago, uss frolick said:

Hey Wayne, Can you find any papers or any technical archeological articles on the 1813 Lake Ontario wrecks of the US Schooners Hamilton and Scourge? I mean, other than the books "Ghost Ships" and "Coffins of the Brave", and that National Geographic article from the 1980's?

I shall dig into my files and see what leads I can find.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Check the TAMU site too.  They have done stuff in the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain (the 6th Great Lake)

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

27 minutes ago, kurtvd19 said:

Check the TAMU site too.  They have done stuff in the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain (the 6th Great Lake)

Kevin Crisman of TAMU is Author of "Coffins of the Brave" .

Here are the 2 books Sir Frolick mentioned:

Cain, Emily. 1983. Ghost Ships: Hamilton and Scourge : Historical Treasures from the War of 1812. Toronto; New York: Musson ; Beaufort Books.
Crisman, Kevin James, ed. 2014. Coffins of the Brave: Lake Shipwrecks of the War of 1812. First edition. Ed Rachal Foundation Nautical Archaeology Series in Association with the Institute of Nautical Archaeology and the Center for Maritime Archaeology and Conservation. College Station: Texas A&M University Press. https://www.academia.edu/9802517/Coffins_of_the_Brave_-_Introduction.

Wayne

Epictetus

2 hours ago, uss frolick said:

Hey Wayne, Can you find any papers or any technical archeological articles on the 1813 Lake Ontario wrecks of the US Schooners Hamilton and Scourge? I mean, other than the books "Ghost Ships" and "Coffins of the Brave", and that National Geographic article from the 1980's?

It is getting a tad late so I must absent myself from the computer for the evening. Will continue the search in the morning. Let me leave you, though, with a couple of teasers.

First, a "virtual tour".  http://1812tour.hamilton.ca/hamilton_scourge.html

There are an impressive number of photographs apparently available through the project. It appears that Brandy Lockhart of Parks Canada may be the "go to" person.

Lockhart, Brandy M., Jonathan Moore and Robert Clarke, 2009 New Insights into the Nautical Archaeology of the Hamilton and Scourge. ACUA
Underwater Archaeology Proceedings 2009
, Erika Laanela and Jonathan Moore, editors, pp. 173-180. Advisory Council on Underwater Archaeology.

Also see the information in the attached thesis extract.

Kopp, Nadine. 2012. “The Influence of the War of 1812 on Great Lakes Shipbuilding.” MA Thesis, East Carolina Univeristy. https://thescholarship.ecu.edu/handle/10342/3839.

Extracted pages from Kopp_ecu_0600M_10625.pdf

This next one offers little new, but may provide an additional contact.

McAllister, Michael. 2009. “Museum under the Waves: Preserving and Interpreting the Hamilton and  Scourge National Historic Site of Canada.” In ACUA Underwater Archaeology Proceedings, 2009. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323704276_McAllister_-_Museum_091201.

I am debating on purchasing the books by Crisman and Cain - any advice, Stephen?

Ps. It was interesting to see your description of the Wasp/Reindeer engagement compared to that offered by TR. Rather flattering, eh?

Crawford, Michael J. 2002. “The Lasting Influence of Theodore Roosevelt’s Naval War of 1812.” International Journal of Naval History 1 (1). http://www.ijnhonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/pdf_crawford.pdf.  Footnote #9.

Wayne

Epictetus

@uss frolick

Thanks - I purchased the Cain book today on that site named for a river (under $12 with shipping). I actually have a PDF copy of Crisman's Coffins of the Brave (available at his page on Academia.edu).

I have done a fairly deep dive seeking more but it appears most are only in unpublished manuscript form at the Hamilton Scourge website, which is woefully uninformative. I was able to obtain the 2009 ACUA Underwater Archaeology Proceedings via their website (free pdf).

i may be able to glean some info from that as there are several articles listed in Crisman. I'll keep you posted if I can find anything.

Wayne

Epictetus

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 7:10 PM, uss frolick said:

I was reading thru the below site and has military dispatches and news articles of the day from both Canadian and US local papers giving accounts of what happened to those ships. Very interesting reading. Hope it helps you

https://images.maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.ca/results?q=Schooner+scourge

Moltinmark 

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/ship-registration/001093-100.01-e.php

This is about the canadian investigation of the shipwrecks Hamilton and Scourge. Lots of data. If you search use the Scourge and info on both ships will come up. If you search Hamilton you will get info regarding the city of Hamilton, Ont. 

Moltinmark 

14 hours ago, uss frolick said:

Thanks Moltinmark, but I'm getting zero results for Hamilton, Scourge or Lord Nelson.

I clicked the first link I provided and it took me right into articles and dispatches of both ships. Theres literally pages and pages about when they were made, who owned them, when and who captured them with descriptions of how many and type of guns ect. Ect.....

Moltinmark 

19 hours ago, uss frolick said:

Thanks Moltinmark, but I'm getting zero results for Hamilton, Scourge or Lord Nelson.

Maritime History of the Great Lakes

Search (Advanced) → Results → Details 
Search  

Julia (Schooner), captured, 10 Aug 1813

Description

Full Text

Head Quarters, Kingston 
      14th August 18I3 
By accounts received by His Excellency the Governor in Chief and Commander of the Forces, from Commodore Sir James Yeo, dated off York, at half paft I P.M. on the 11th inst. the following particulars have been transmitted of the capture and loss of four of the Enemy's Armed Schooners. 
" On TuesdayeEvening last the 1Oth inst. the enemy's Squadron under Commodore Chauncy, got under weigh from their anchorage off the mouth of the Niagara River, and with a fine breeze from the Eastward stood towards our fleet, which was becalmed off the Post at twelve mile Creek. At sunset a breeze coming off the land gave us the wind of the enemy, when our Squadron stood for them, on which they immediately bore away from us under as much sail 
as their Schooners could carry to keep up with their larger vessels. The enemy's fleet formed a long line, the PIKE, MADISON, ONEIDA and six Schooners, two Schooners being placed to windward for the purpose of raking the masts of our Squadron as is should come up. At eleven the squadron got within gun shot of the Schooners, when they opened a brifk fire, and from their going so fast it was more than an hour before the WOLFE, our headmoft ship, could 
pass them. 
At this time the rest of the squadron was two and three miles aftern of the WOLFE, and on her coming up with the MADIFON and PIKE, they put before the wind and made sail, firing their stern chase guns. Sir James Yeo finding it impossible to get the squadron up with the enemy, as the WOLFE was the only Ship which could keep up with them, made sail between them and the two Schooners to windward, which he captured, and which proved to be the JULIA 
and GROWLER, each mounting one long 32 and one long 12 pounder, with a compliment of forty men. Two of the enemy's largest Schooner, the SCOURGE of ten and the HAMILTON of nine guns, upset on the night of the 9th in carrying sail to keep from our Squadron, and all on board perifhed, in numbers about one hundred. By this loss and the capture of the two Schooners, the enemy's squadron has been reduced to ten vessels, and ours increased to eight. 
      It is ascertained that the PIKE mounts 28 long 24 pounders, and has a compliment of four hundred and twenty men, and that the MADISON mounts 22 32 pound Carronades, with three hundred and forty men. Nine boat loads of troops were taken on board their Squadron on Monday for the purpose it is supposed of repelling boarders. 
      The WOLFE has not received any material damage, and not a person hurt on board. The prisoners were landing from her on the 11th, and the damages of the GROWLER were repairing -- She had lost her Bowsprit and was otherwise much cut up. - Nothing could exceed the eagerness and enthusiasm manifested by the Officers and men serving on board of our Squadron, for a close engagement with the enemy, and the only apprehension and regret expressed by all were that their opponents tho' so superior in guns, weight of metal and men, would be too wary to afford them the oppertunity of terminating by a decisive action, the contest for the ascendancy on the Lake. 
      Kingston GAZETTE 
      Tues. Aug. 17, I8I3 

Item Type
Clippings
Notes
Reason: captured
Remarks: Becomes British prize
Date of Original
Subject(s)
Local identifier
McN.W.24720
Language of Item
English
Geographic Coverage
  •  
    Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 43.795555 Longitude: -77.905555
Donor
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Contact
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Emailwalter@maritimehistoryofthegreatlakes.caWWW address 

Moltinmark