Hi all,

I've received my 2nd hand copy of 'Sailing Drifters by Edgar J. March'. The book itself is in good condition and the images and photographs inside are very clear.

Only issue is that the dust cover (originally 25cm x 57cm) has seen better days and I'd like to protect it from further wear and tear.

1220412539_dustjacket1.thumb.jpg.1af939bb4c2f49c926a7c110b35297e1.jpg

I don't want to glue clear plastic sheets to the dust cover since that is a bit too irreversible. What I'd like to do is source is a thin, flexible, clear plastic 'wallet' that the dust cover sides in to and can then be put back on the book, if such a thing exists.

But a sleeve might increase the 'height' of the book where the sleeve's welded edges are, so maybe some non-adhesive film from Amazon might be a better choice? ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Herma-7388-Book-Cover-Colourless/dp/B0007OEAS2/ref=pd_sbs_229_5/258-7486433-7675807?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0007OEAS2&pd_rd_r=ace6a896-5de5-44fd-ba89-2c6014916212&pd_rd_w=fa5v2&pd_rd_wg=zn3Ln&pf_rd_p=2304238d-df78-4b25-a9a0-b27dc7bd722e&pf_rd_r=5622YCXDNSKQ70EHNXG3&refRID=5622YCXDNSKQ70EHNXG3&th=1

I'll keep looking, but in the meantime if anyone knows of a good way to protect old dust sleeves please feel free to jump in.

Thanks,

Richard

Edit: Just seen this ...  £13 KPC Book Protection CSR03300025U 330mm x 25m Clearsleeve Roll ....  https://www.amazon.co.uk/330mm-x-25m-Clearsleeve-Roll/dp/B07KWW2F3G/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=book+dust+jacket+protective+cover&qid=1607537243&refinements=p_76%3A419158031&rnid=419157031&rps=1&sr=8-3    ...I think it may do the trick. It increases the book price by over 1/3rd but I think it would be worth it to extend the life of the dust cover.        

Edited by Rik Thistle

Wayne,

I've been to the local library a few times and can visualise what they use. It tends to be heavy duty, hard'ish clear plastic since the library books do get a lot of handling. I'm not sure this particular dust cover could cope with the rigidity of the library covers.

But I'll have a think about it and thanks for the suggestion.

Richard

Edited by Rik Thistle

Roger,

There are acid free archival tapes and glues that claim to be reversible.  Look for them on Amazon.

I've browsed those. I'm still a bit concerned about sticking anything to the old cover since I think the 'protection' will be stiffer and force the dust cover to stretch to take the shape of the protection.

I'm now tending towards making my own protective cover using large, soft, clear polythene bags I already have. I don't know how acid free they are.

I'll post any results on here.

Thanks for your input,

Richard

Don't know how expensive it would be to ship from California to Scotland, but I used to purchase a lot of archival storage supplies for my photography from Light Impressions.  They used to be in Rochester NY but moved to California decades ago, I haven't purchased anything from them in a long while but when I did, their products were super good quality as was their service.

Jack, and everyone who responded, thank you.

It does help to discuss things, so I seem to have solved my issue by using a soft polythene bag...see below.

22568027_dustjacket2.thumb.jpg.cf0d045e90cc748a712519ac6df8cf85.jpg

1856282965_dustjacket3.thumb.jpg.bb9947215baeb5c6b3da38f36d2dcd93.jpg

499982389_dustjacket4.thumb.jpg.543306030c8006378553d53816b7b0c7.jpg

Unfortunately, a previous owner had tried to fix the dust cover with Sellotape which has led to wrinkles in the cover and discolourisation. But my main objective was to preserve the picture in the front and the information contained in the two leaves, and that has been achieved at the moment...50 yrs down the line who knows ;-).

Thanks,

Richard

I use what the public libraries use to protect their dust jackets. Brodart library supply company makes the most commonly-seen ones. Other companies, such as Gaylord Archival do also. They come in a wide range sizes in cut sheets, which don't make a lot of sense to me unless all your books are the same size, or rolls, which allow you to use one size which can be folded to fit a wide range of book sizes. I use Brodart's "Just-A-Fold Original" style. I buy them by the roll and cut off what I need, which is economical. (A large library would have the full size range, for convenience's sake.)  I have them on most all of the books in my reference book library. A roll will last practically forever. I bought a roll the 14" high size decades ago and have yet to consume all of it. Brodart now sells a package deal that looks handy with three rolls of different widths, 10", 12", and 14". They have an acid-free archival paper backing and a clear archival plastic cover. You sandwich the dust cover between the paper and the plastic and fold over the excess. 

If you only want one or two covers, perhaps you may be able to talk a local library into selling you what you need for a small job.

Here's Brodart's "how to do it" PDF that tells you how to best select the many options they offer: http://www.shopbrodart.com/_resources/www/brodart/_system/content/images/PDF/2017_BJC_Guide.pdf 

http://www.shopbrodart.com/Library-Supplies/Book-Jacket-Covers/

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=brodart+fold-on+book+covers&i=office-products&gclid=CjwKCAiAiML-BRAAEiwAuWVgghlKRBuEVApXKK-nQWH3GS5EjrIUT6NkhSahCvShZFseVdpuF-f_GBoCPWoQAvD_BwE&hvadid=318674205520&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032112&hvnetw=s&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17492042603946677432&hvtargid=kwd-400194176838&hydadcr=28992_10194946&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_6rbppx1ax4_b

Edited by Bob Cleek

Our posts "crossed in the mail." You've found a good temporary solution. I would note, however, that the paper-backed Brodart mylar dust jacket cover is archival and has a neutral acidity. The mylar prevents the face of the book from sticking to adjacent books when on the shelf. The paper backing permits torn and creased dust jackets to be flattened out in the paper and mylar "sandwich" without the need to use tape on them. Next time you're by your local library, see if they can sell you a proper archival cover.

Bob,

Thanks for the info and the links.

The Brodart's video is pretty much what I did with my 'plastic bag' solution, but not as professionally.

I might still order a roll of the Brodart's or similar material for protecting my books...from what you say you get plenty in a roll so it lasts a long time and the larger size can be cut down for smaller books.

These days I tend to order the Kindle version of books since I can read them on multiple devices, they take up no space and are (usually) slightly cheaper. But real books are still, in my mind, more easy to flick through, bookmark and just more readable.

Thanks again,

Richard

Edit: Bob, just read your 2nd post and Brodart does seem the way to go, long term.

Edited by Rik Thistle