Trouble with Garboard Strake

I've read and re-read the planking article "Lining Off Your Hull for Planking on the MSW site but am having a heck of a hard time getting the Garboard Strake to fit without a small space between the keel/stem post and the bottom edge of the strake. No matter how hard I work at it with the cardboard and the strake I always seem to have that space. What am I missing? Any suggestions on how to handle this will be greatly appreciated.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Hi Allen,  Can you post couple photos.  Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Finally got the garboard strake to fit. The kit planks are 1.8mm x 6 m x 550 mm. I used one 1.8mm x 10 m x 550 mm strip for the garboard strake starting on the port side. Need to sand the bottom of the strake just a tad in the middle and she'll fit in nicely. I used the method described in Donald Dressel's book "Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders". It seemed, to me at least, to be the most straight forward method. After trimming, I soaked the strake in warm water for two hours before the test fit. Glenn. I typically bevel the bottom edge of any plank up to the wale.

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

This is probably contrary to most advice but I started planking about 1/3 of the way up the hull and down to the garboard strake area. I then measured out the garboard area, made a cardboard template, rough shaped the garboard and then finish sanded it to shape, worked great. I pinched the idea from here in post #57 and beyond. 

Edited by turangi