HM Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 by glbarlow - Vanguard Models

3 hours ago, jpalmer1970 said:

and a great log describing it

Thank you, I put a lot of work in the log hoping to help others as I’ve been helped. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

2 hours ago, DelF said:

won't let her gather dust too long -

Thank you for the kind words. 

I imagine Winchelsea is going to take a while, but I’ll come back to the little Flirt eventually. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hello Glenn, very nice work on the Flirt.  I too know the draw of making saw dust.  I'm rigging the frigates United States and President , and starting to lay the keel for the frigate New York.  I bounce back and forth between rigging and saw dusting.  When I need a break from one I do the other.  Your work is very neat and clean, very well done.😄

6 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

excellent result

Thanks BE, I appreciate your saying so.

Regards,

Glenn

12 hours ago, Seahawk1313 said:

nice work on the Flirt.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Regards,

Glenn

Really fine workmanship Glenn - whether you rig her or not it's a beautiful model. I fully understand the siren's call and look forward to seeing your progress on the Winchelsea.

Really nicely done - and, the combination of workmanship and photography skills make it a good source of reference for others.

Edited by Moonbug

Awesome work and great workmanship! Your work inspires me to do better.

I'm sure I'll be using your build logs as a primary reference if I ever decide to build the same kits in the future.

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

• 1 month later...

I took a look back at my log and saw, much to @DelF delight, every time I wrote ‘winch’ autocorrect changed it to ‘wench.’ I need to do better editing. 

I see Flirt sitting on my shelf waiting for her rigging, I haven’t forgotten. 

Regards,

Glenn

5 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I took a look back at my log and saw, much to @DelF delight, every time I wrote ‘winch’ autocorrect changed it to ‘wench.’ I need to do better editing. 

Glenn, I had promised to stop pointing out your autocorrect typos, but now that you've mentioned it yourself I'll take that as the green light to continue. My favorite is still "sanding a rabbit on the bottom" from your Lady Nelson log (I hear the animal cruelty people dropped the case for lack of evidence), although I see the offending typo has now been edited. Spoilsport.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, glbarlow said:

I added filler parts 19 and 20 to the bow area, and thinking I knew what I was doing without consulting the instructions I added part 21 next to those. However part 21 is for the stern area, not the bow. It won’t hurt anything to be there and in fact probably helps, so I just fabricated part “21b” from the bulkhead sheet scrap and added it to the stern, problem solved.

OMG, I just did the very same thing! So I'll be a scratch making a part "21b" tomorrow too. This is too funny! 🤣

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

22 minutes ago, BobG said:

scratch making a part "21b" tomorrow too. This is too funny! 🤣

Where’s your build log, I want to follow 

Regards,

Glenn

5 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Where’s your build log, I want to follow 

It's in the the Build Logs for Kits from 1751-1800 or just click on the HMS Flirt under my signature - current builds. It could well be a comedy of errors! 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

On 8/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, glbarlow said:

Though I didn't take a photo beforehand I thinned the deadwood and along the sternpost before adding any of the bulkheads using my finger plane and chisels (easier to do with the former laying flat). I elected to thin the area to 2mm, I still want enough for the sternpost to attach to the former. There is plenty of meat in the first planking, I can thin as needed to eventually match the sternpost to the thickness of second planing.

Glenn, I'm not sure I'm understanding this step completely looking at your photo.

Are you essentially tapering the deadwood area that is formed from the bearding line as it curves up from the bottom edge of bulkhead 12 to the the bottom edge of bulkhead 16 so that the final thickness of the keel former is 2 mm thick at the stern all the way to the bottom of the keel? 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

4 hours ago, BobG said:

is 2 mm thick at the stern all the way to the bottom of the keel? 

More or less yes, it’s tapering thinning the deadwood area so it’s 2mm at the end where the stern post attaches, not the whole deadwood. Just a variation what James describes in a he instructions. I think he went thinner and I wasn’t comfortable with that. 

Regards,

Glenn

4 hours ago, glbarlow said:

I think he went thinner and I wasn’t comfortable with that. 

Like you, I'll be more conservative doing that too.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: