Golden Hind by Andyrew - OcCre - 1:85

In 1577 Francis Drake left Plymouth on board the Pelican along with 4 other ships to sail through the Megellan Straits and explore the lands beyond. He was given unofficial backing from Queen Elizabeth Ist to also attack any Spanish ships that he might encounter, something he did with great success. On the 20th August 1578 whilst passing through the Megellan Straits he renamed the Pelican to Golden Hind to honour the expedition's main patron, Sir Christopher Patton, whose family crest was a Golden Hind, a female Red Deer. Drake arrived back in Plymouth in September 1580 having sailed around the world with a large booty of treasures and spices. Queen Elizabeth earned enough money from this venture that she was able to pay off all her debts and she decreed that the Golden Hind was to be kept at Deptford on the River Thames as a "museum" ship where she remained until being broken up in 1650. A replica ship was built in 1973 and has travelled around the world several times and is at present moored at St Mary Overie Dock on the south bank of the River Thames next to London Bridge. I plan to build this model based on this replica and had hoped to travel to London before Christmas to photograph the ship before visiting my Parents in Kent for a few days. Due to the Covid lockdowns this wasn't possible but fortunately my Daughter is at University in London and lives near to London Bridge so she has taken some photos for me. 

ACtC-3exOlJT6DF1FnsPXNgpgQFOyngCpl1Mabam

I have built an OcCre kit before and I do like them, the wood is good quality, I find the instructions fairly easy to follow and the various fittings are mostly good as well. Here's what you get in the box.

ACtC-3c-cMad9Yz1W4bgLiMKx8GtuPdckJwuxIF-

ACtC-3d6oS_bSW8x2IeKdmXiCfyybJHGnwGT1dbQ

ACtC-3dSRArSFQyA-Hfkm7OXm5liipE51wI0G_d5

ACtC-3fb2Ga6_RvXTGB8OqEzYG5s-DciZeEnsg2n

ACtC-3cgWxSQIkxTQk8SFCiwszRXQPOnuwtTPoDS

ACtC-3dpa6gZL9aO4C3Swdf_N96l_oRktjvXkDZg

ACtC-3cZJ7VDNduBWyJCSRzzMO_TXgccgEx04eIg

ACtC-3eo6ulPNA6Rxg9rMRb9ggXlzS-yBA1jIKrc

ACtC-3cFFFQeMjL6viuBkOdDNEv2PyiVKg8mguLh

ACtC-3c4xDhsJROExFU1nvplJAedOHt1kXL0Gdd7

ACtC-3d9J2RwIuedVjGUtTq9JjpRFfjrT7VdpdZZ

ACtC-3eSikTX7zmQ2jE0oN2_x4BAds3SZaCjWQSf

ACtC-3eSen3GyihP4dzI7FuZ7rwIUUiD5YbsDy0k

Cheers Andy

Looks like a very nice kit.  Photos of the replica will definitely help on your build.  I look forward to following your Golden Hind build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Good day Andy,

I will follow as well !!!

I like galoeon's period... :)))

Good luck in building!!!:)))

ps

compare to the replica itself...at the first glance...

deadeyes kit's is a  wrong shape ,they need to be in triangle form, and belaying pins form/ shape as well are not correct...and moreover actualy no need them fitted in pinrails( if supposed to be  fitted by the kit) during this period...

Image (3).jpg

Edited by kirill4

I decided to start with the kit supplied stand, it won't be needed for a while but by building it it would give me the chance to see how good the fit of parts were, result very loose fit. 

ACtC-3cJSKadicsZKxomf9yX8cnVA3GaBEfZjqVz

I dry fitted the Bulkheads to the false Keel and again the fit was a bit loose, the Keel has a slight curve but it's less than 1mm towards the front. I glued the 3 Mast Support pieces on first using a piece of dowel to ensure they were fitted correctly and then fitted the Bulkheads starting at the Stern.

ACtC-3fRCG2q5oBaz4EwH7sBiG3Zeb3ydP2TxilE

ACtC-3c-3rEryp82ndj9dPaJsPLYyHkCRtQbE3F_

ACtC-3fl3hJ1tvR6vVlnqCij7THm-MuSFDbUDVxX

ACtC-3ecNheWfnm5abHlFxvGUNCunIgNxR-UMegP

I decided to glue the 3 Stern extension pieces together off the ship, it was easier to get them lined up off the ship and then the whole thing was fitted.

ACtC-3fbyxhjI7KeHB_YwIThEsimxOG9Ik2s8Wq5

Edited by Andyrew

ACtC-3fK1DaZdis2hs8GZl4WLHbp_rChO2adEEse

ACtC-3eAhN-cBs_EzGozR4Tqd4G3u2bv2PNf3MO7

ACtC-3dhpFKDI2ssMTG9Gwp-ei5bbSoAHu7waNJo

The instructions tell you to plank the Decks before fitting them but I decided to plank them after they are fitted that way I can pin the Decks down whilst the glue dries. I have been searching for pictures of the Golden Hind's Decks to try to see how the Deck Planks are laid but I haven't been able to find any good photos. I emailed the replica ship's website asking for information and got a nice reply back. The ship has been closed due to the Covid virus so they have been doing some work to her, to make her look more like a 16th Century ship following research on Elizabethian ships. They are going to release some Youtube videos that shows all the work being done including the Decks, Bulwarks and Rigging. It's an interesting website with information about lots of things to do with the ship.

https://www.goldenhinde.co.uk/

ACtC-3cbjqWuxCfd-ur4ST1cj1Iy67JBCoH0kyO7

Cheers Andy

On 1/14/2021 at 10:16 AM, kirill4 said:

deadeyes kit's is a  wrong shape ,they need to be in triangle form

I noticed that, but it's something I'll worry about when I get to that stage. The replica is having work done to it at the moment so hopefully they'll fit round Deadeyes to it and make my life easier 😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2021 at 8:00 PM, Tomasz B said:

Hi, some of your model parts are plastic? They looks like to me.

Hi Tomasz, I meant to reply to you earlier but I have been busy at work lately and forgot. I have just looked at them and they are cast metal the same as the Anchors and Hawse Plates. I have been reading through your build to get some ideas, it is looking good.

I drew a line down the centre of the main Deck and then having used a pencil along one side  of a planking strip to simulate the Caulking I glued the first plank on one side of the centre line. I then continued across that side of the Deck. Once this side of the Deck was done I opened up the Mast hole and then planked the other side.

ACtC-3e0vzTA6StNFLuIHIk_CtBhkLyRriwe03Gd

One of the things that I don't like about this model is the way the Photo Etched Doors and Windows are just glued onto the planking, it doesn't look realistic to me, so I've decided to make frames for the Doors and Windows.

ACtC-3eQSPr76Gz8Xso-Zj99-WKmEa9LEEtttwnL

I used the P.E. Door as a template and drew the outline onto the Bulkhead.

ACtC-3c9VYmeFRX3C5krnNVVwAdodlgwjk5o3xOF

ACtC-3duDioEHAArPG7YVTeti45VNrtb79p1Amz5

ACtC-3eHPqzou9wEJvd7iwUS3jeN67v-9W6KrIvb

On the replica this Bulkhead is at an angle whereas on the model it's vertical.

ACtC-3fnuvZW8nfTjCc-eot7vuh3ecXZe1DY2Qns

ACtC-3cNUS5-lWGF8Ad0Q9zCe3AJzgPyNFjgWeJF

I fitted the Forecastle Deck to get the correct position of the top of the Bulkhead. On the replica the Bulkhead is at the same angle as the Bulwark so I dry fitted the kit Bulwark to get the correct angle. This meant that the Bulkhead was a little bit short so I made a couple of supporting blocks from some Balsawood sheet and then fitted the Bulkhead.ACtC-3e4QA_Zik-S02ANjFWLEBfcmA_bZ6oCwyin

ACtC-3fYgQ7pXpkXxST_P398a2rPqTNgRIYGNmAX

ACtC-3esDTRmdwqkI1R_7NT-QiD0PiBUPiuu0jgP

On the model the middle Deck is stepped in 2 pieces but the replica is one Deck, the problem is if I leave the stepped Deck off the Bulkhead will be too high. I decided to fit the stepped Deck and then extend it with Balsawood which I then sanded down until I got the right slope.

ACtC-3clECdVcN8UeS8l2QhEZsXOjXs08AVnxBK1

Andy

The instructions advise you to plank all the Decks and Bulkheads first but I find it's easy to break the edges of these planks so I decided to fit the Gunport patterns and Bulwarks first. These are all plywood and the Gunport patterns were fairly straight, after removing the small square Gunport Lids from both patterns, I glued and pinned the patterns into place.

ACtC-3cK8yD0_QoyFHnguSL60oat1TlZF6MW6Ef5

The Bulwark patterns had to be soaked in warm water for about 30 minutes and they were then pinned to the Bulkheads and allowed to dry. These were then glued, clamped and pinned in place.

ACtC-3fZHGxMFJWk26yumyiWcwYcbBAjzHVRAXBn

I then decided to fit the Bow Deck which I had already planked and then the Bulwarks (?) that fit round this small Deck.

ACtC-3eDO4Y6-bHJqiAoAU6oEmntzRpWW3K2a4F3

ACtC-3dttmkCuFjX30L9tzO7OaS7R8dYzXoNQNgF

Whilst I was in the mood for glueing things I fitted the Stern piece as well.

ACtC-3ftL6krZ2CDdiXSg67ZMWOpvm2Okx9NDvVv

Cheers Andy