Good Morning

Don Case

On 1/20/2021 at 12:42 PM, LyleK1 said:

I too, am very interested in building the 1789 version of the Discovery and the HMS Chatham. Both of were involved in the exploration of the PNW waters.

I am in the middle of building the HMS Bounty right now but am starting to look into the next build... a scratch build is in my future. My first attempt. So, obviously, research and access to good materials may be an issue when picking the next build.

If the material presented for Discovery 1789 represents what you have to work with, and Discovery itself is a specific target, a bit of compromise in ambition may worth considering.  There are no lines plans.  Never mind Body, neither of the other two planes are available either.  (A merchant ship, built in a private yard may have never had plans as we know them.  If there were plans, they were probably viewed as disposable, either by the owner or his inheritors.) 

With a bit of obsessiveness, a reasonably  accurate waterline model may be possible using the two NMM plans. 

The masting and rigging would be about as accurate most any of our models if you use the same references.

What is available for HMS Chatham = ?

There is another candidate for PNW.  The Peacock II 1828 was a corvette that was eaten by the bar of the Columbia River.  HIC redrafted (?) her lines, so they are available.  So too are the lines for the other three squadron mates who survived their encounter with the PNW.  They are Vincennes, Flying Fish, and Porpoise II and all are part of the S.I. collection.  Well, Flying Fish is in a really grey area - the plans are John McKeon. To match the published dimensions of Independence (what the USN renamed as Flying Fish) I scaled the breath and depth up 110% and added 2" to each space.  The overall shape of New York pilot schooners of the times was pretty well set - (adapted from a Norfolk developed model).  Someone at S.I. thought it was close enough.

For a first scratch venture,  I suggest that a wise choice would be to limit the number of new challenges.  I would start with a subject that has existing plans.  Ideal is a monograph where the frame lofting work has been done and the details drawn.

Now - removing my 'any pretense to faculty' hat and strictly in my curmudgeon hat:

Presupposing that your objective is  POF   - a popular choice is the Swan series (but probably too oft traveled) or much less often done, one of the smaller ANCRE subjects ( with frame lofting already done).  For a first outing, it may be prudent to give any attention to internal detail a pass.  Totally plank the hull and deck and save fabricating the guts and really complicated bits like cant frames and butt chocks  for a later project. (Assuming that you ever come to care about that sort of thing.)  

If solid (laminations) is your method there are many more possibilities.

Something here that dismayed me at first is the popularity of scratch POB.  The whole process is really ugly and an insult to the beauty that is a ship's hull.  It may be a bit quick and dirty, but I can't get past how cheesy it looks.  Once it is covered up, it does not matter, but I would always know if I did it that way.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

2 hours ago, Jaager said:

For a first scratch venture,  I suggest that a wise choice would be to limit the number of new challenges.  I would start with a subject that has existing plans.  Ideal is a monograph where the frame lofting work has been done and the details drawn.

Agreed... I was looking at the Winchelsea group project as a potential candidate to increase my experience and have the ability to work with a lot of good build logs well under way or done. 

I should mention that I am working on the A.L HMS Bounty. I have a long ways to go! And I'm in no hurry... 

Just thinking about my next project!

2 hours ago, Jaager said:

For a first outing, it may be prudent to give any attention to internal detail a pass. 

As noted above, I'm working on a model with the interior open and am having a good bit of fun filling out the interior. Not looking to do it again for awhile.

Your comments on the Discovery and the Chatham are well noted and reflect what I've found in just the little time I've spent on it.

Something to file away for the future!

Thanks for the response, appreciate the comments.

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

In a parallel thread about downloading NMM drawings, there is a link to a Wiki commons  site with JPEG of NMM plans.

There are several for a Discovery 1789 including lines - They are for conversion of that ship to a bomb vessel.  The vessel is not at all attractive.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

4 hours ago, Jaager said:

In a parallel thread about downloading NMM drawings, there is a link to a Wiki commons  site with JPEG of NMM plans.

There are several for a Discovery 1789 including lines - They are for conversion of that ship to a bomb vessel.  The vessel is not at all attractive.

Just checked it out... Definitely not attractive!

Lots of good info... If only it was for the previous version!

Thanks Jaager.

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

6 hours ago, Jaager said:

I managed to find the Wiki site I think but I don't see the Discovery listed. Is this the page Category:Ship plans of the Royal Museums Greenwich - Wikimedia Commons

Would the lines change when they converted it?

Edited by Don Case

I think this is a start. This is after a bunch of manipulations. The original is very faint. At least I feel that I'm doing something. I haven't heard from the Vancouver Maritime Museum yet. maybe they're closed for Covid too.

DISCOVERY_1789_RMG_J2022b.jpg

On 1/15/2021 at 6:54 AM, TBlack said:

Hello Don,

Trying to make connections. Do you remember the Salmon Kings hockey team? My son-in-law used to play for them. Also, I'd love to know how you turn a lathe into a thickness sander; I'm having a hard time picturing the set-up.

Tom

Here's a pic of my thickness sander

DSC04233.JPG

Using the sloped table allows me to use the cross feed as a thickness adjustment. It's very precise. One turn is only a few thousands of an inch. I tried using my drill press before I had the lathe but the chuck kept falling out. It's just a Morse taper holding it in and any vibration without pressure holding in lets it drop.