What do we know about the origins of the lifebuoy?

Sperry

Hello everyone, and best wishes for 2021!

What do we know about the origins of the lifebuoy? I know Da Vinci made sketches, but I was wondering what was actually used on ships before the industrial revolution? I'm especially interested in personal flotation devices before the XVIIth century. Have they always been in the shape of a doughnut, or did they have different shapes? And what materials were they made with? Thanks in advance for your time!

Edited by Sperry

They probably weren't "rings" as such.  The French has some in 18th century that resembled anchor buoys.  Made of cork, they were stowed on top of the quarter galleries.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Sperry,

I had to undertake some research in this area for my current build.  Unfortunately, this is a very wide ranging subject as I found out to my dismay :( . There were considerable parallel designs offered/being developed, and some difference in the evolution path of lifesaving device between the Navy and Merchant Service.  The instigation of 'Sailing Rules' in the 19th century, especially with the advent of steam propulsion, resulted in some of these devices (or what had to be carried) being somewhat standardised.  The earliest developments were simple flotation devices that could be heaved overboard as required; these included cork buoys, small wood rafts, even barrels/casks etc. etc. 

To try and simplify this I will concentrate on the major development and stay away from RNLI initiatives such as lifeboats, shore based rocket assisted lines etc.  What I found was that the earlier developments led to what was called "The Common Service Lifebuoy" (CLSB) in the RN, but a ring shaped device was developed somewhat in parallel.  I won't go into histories or earlier designs that led to these. 

Starting with the familiar ring shaped devices, these seem to have been invented (or at least patented) by a gentleman called "Kisby" (possibly in the RN or RNLI)  - these were often referred to as the Kisby Ring.  His initial design was more like a 'rope thimble' or 'horse collar' shape, but these very quickly evolved to the more familiar ring shape - the following are from his patent drawings.  They were originally a cork filled canvas covered ring with ropes attached to hang onto to.  These have remained in the same shape and base design ever since.  The various 'Rules' introduced in the mid-19th Century required a ship to carry at least two lifebuoys but did not specify what types.

1174612742_KisbyHoop.jpg.12f518674910639f93cfb38e003ff57a.jpg  1005775710_KisbyRing.jpg.8d5f20d1c3d50c4d134257321969026c.jpg

The RN went with a device (CSLB) invented by Lt. Cook RN (no not that Lt. Cook :) ) which was a more complicated affair that was launched from the stern of a ship and had a smoke/light attached.   That said however, some ships such as the 'Billy Ruffian' carried two, one each side on the transom - appears this may have been the custom for larger ships.   I have attached a copy of one of the earliest designs of this (patent sketch).  These developed quickly, so that by the mid-19th century, they were made from telescoping metal bars with a bottom weight to keep the 'arm' upright, copper balls for flotation, and a gunlock ignited flare/smoke.  Later designs allowed the device to be dropped and the flare ignited with a single release mechanism, located within arm's reach of the helmsman. 

As best as I have been able to determine, most RN ships carried one of these on the stern and two lifebuoys.  The CSLB was usually carried on the centreline of the transom outboard and when released slid down two metal rails, the lower telescoped leg dropping down to a stop, and the flare being ignited in the process.  The two life rings were usually kept with one in the bows (vicinity of the foremast) and the other midships (vicinity of the main mast) - one to port the other to starboard.  I have read that the usual practice was to have several man-overboard lookouts.

290409415_CookLifebuoy_PapersinMechanicsVol36Plate15p124.jpg.4d2393c468d3c9c60a5d4d570f082159.jpg   2041925785_CookeServiceLifebuoyInUse.jpg.49e4646874536c7b30272b11f3cdb44b.jpg   

I hope this helps?  If you need further info please PM me.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

It seems indeed that the lifebuoy as we know it came around in the 1840s or so. In the 1980s it seems that more or less horseshoe shaped designs have replaced the 'classical' one.

Before the time of steamships it is sad to say, there was not much real use for lifebuoys and the attitude to human life was also more fatalistic. Men typically went over board in rough seas and strong winds and at night, when it would have been very difficult to heave to, to lower a boat and start searching. Such manoeuvre would have put the whole ship and certainly the boat-crew into serious danger. Before smoke flares and battery-operated lights attached to lifebuoys, it would have been very difficult to find a man in anything else but a dead-flat sea. Therefore, I am not sure that these French lifebuoys that were suspended over the stern were really useful and not just prolonged the suffering

My father was telling me, that his father (who was in the German Imperial Navy from around 1910 until 1919) told him that many sailors could not swim and would not want to learn it, because it would just make dying a much more prolonged process. Not sure that is true. He himself could swim, but many navy sailors, who came from inland areas may have not been able to.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

On 1/21/2021 at 6:19 PM, BANYAN said:

Hi Sperry,

I had to undertake some research in this area for my current build.  Unfortunately, this is a very wide ranging subject as I found out to my dismay :( . There were considerable parallel designs offered/being developed, and some difference in the evolution path of lifesaving device between the Navy and Merchant Service.  The instigation of 'Sailing Rules' in the 19th century, especially with the advent of steam propulsion, resulted in some of these devices (or what had to be carried) being somewhat standardised.  The earliest developments were simple flotation devices that could be heaved overboard as required; these included cork buoys, small wood rafts, even barrels/casks etc. etc. 

To try and simplify this I will concentrate on the major development and stay away from RNLI initiatives such as lifeboats, shore based rocket assisted lines etc.  What I found was that the earlier developments led to what was called "The Common Service Lifebuoy" (CLSB) in the RN, but a ring shaped device was developed somewhat in parallel.  I won't go into histories or earlier designs that led to these. 

Starting with the familiar ring shaped devices, these seem to have been invented (or at least patented) by a gentleman called "Kisby" (possibly in the RN or RNLI)  - these were often referred to as the Kisby Ring.  His initial design was more like a 'rope thimble' or 'horse collar' shape, but these very quickly evolved to the more familiar ring shape - the following are from his patent drawings.  They were originally a cork filled canvas covered ring with ropes attached to hang onto to.  These have remained in the same shape and base design ever since.  The various 'Rules' introduced in the mid-19th Century required a ship to carry at least two lifebuoys but did not specify what types.

1174612742_KisbyHoop.jpg.12f518674910639f93cfb38e003ff57a.jpg  1005775710_KisbyRing.jpg.8d5f20d1c3d50c4d134257321969026c.jpg

The RN went with a device (CSLB) invented by Lt. Cook RN (no not that Lt. Cook :) ) which was a more complicated affair that was launched from the stern of a ship and had a smoke/light attached.   That said however, some ships such as the 'Billy Ruffian' carried two, one each side on the transom - appears this may have been the custom for larger ships.   I have attached a copy of one of the earliest designs of this (patent sketch).  These developed quickly, so that by the mid-19th century, they were made from telescoping metal bars with a bottom weight to keep the 'arm' upright, copper balls for flotation, and a gunlock ignited flare/smoke.  Later designs allowed the device to be dropped and the flare ignited with a single release mechanism, located within arm's reach of the helmsman. 

As best as I have been able to determine, most RN ships carried one of these on the stern and two lifebuoys.  The CSLB was usually carried on the centreline of the transom outboard and when released slid down two metal rails, the lower telescoped leg dropping down to a stop, and the flare being ignited in the process.  The two life rings were usually kept with one in the bows (vicinity of the foremast) and the other midships (vicinity of the main mast) - one to port the other to starboard.  I have read that the usual practice was to have several man-overboard lookouts.

290409415_CookLifebuoy_PapersinMechanicsVol36Plate15p124.jpg.4d2393c468d3c9c60a5d4d570f082159.jpg   2041925785_CookeServiceLifebuoyInUse.jpg.49e4646874536c7b30272b11f3cdb44b.jpg   

I hope this helps?  If you need further info please PM me.

cheers

Pat

Thanks for a great article.  When I was in the RCN, they were always referred to as Kisby Rings.  Woe be tied anybody called them anything else

Edited by Diver

Hi Diver, ah the 'joys' of the bosun's lash.  We had similar 'no no's' in the RAN.  Then the 'divers' got really upset with 'goggles' or 'flippers' ;)  

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)