Anchor stocks - natural or painted black?

Hi, hopefully posting this in the correct area.  I’m building the Bounty and currently making up the anchors, my question is should these be painted black or left natural wood?  On my two previous builds I have not painted, but I have seen many builds on MSW that have painted them.  If it could have been either, anyone know what the Bounty had, reading about the voyage I know Bounty lost one anchor as it’s stock was rotten and Bligh recommended voyages to warmer climes should have metal socks, but not aware of any reference to painting the stocks.

Thanks for any guidance folks can give. 🙂

39 minutes ago, mgdawson said:

Just a guess, I would imagine they'd be preserved with either oil or a oil/tar mixture which, with repeated coating, would make them quite a dark colour but not black.

Mark

A good guess though I would have thought, preservatives would have been oil/tar based so a good call if not black then dark at least.  I am still doing the puddening around the ring and the cable knot, so time to ponder a while longer.