Starlight by AJohnson - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1:250 scale - CARD - Clyde Puffer

Evening All,

Here we go with my next card model, another 1/250 offering from Paper Shipwright, after cutting my teeth on their model of Flamborough Head Lighthouse.  I did think of starting this one first but quickly changed my mind after looking at all the small parts and the diminutive size of this one and promptly changed my mind! 😲 - I have since read the front and it says Skill rating 'Difficult' and part count #250.  So I can't promise this build log will ever get re-titled with the word "Finished" tagged on the end, we shall see, but the blurb also says suitable for "ages over 12 and over" so on that count I am well over qualified! 😂

The first few pictures show what you get, six sheets of instructions and one A4 sized card of parts.

Hold tight folks I'm diving in!  

First couple of evenings have been cutting out the base; gluing with tiny dots of PVA onto my building base and laminating and then cutting out "ribs" to form the hull.  I completed adding these tonight, all seems to be going okay so far, but can see some of my cutting needs to be more precise, as I might need to add small 'shims' to level one or two of the ribs.

Think next up I shall need to sort out some paint mixing for the cut edges for the cream coloured deck, and various reds and yellows, as pretty soon I am going to need those to progress beyond laying on the decks.

Now time to make another sacrifice to the "Card Gods" 🔥 for guidance, until next time....

Startlight (1).JPG

Startlight (2).JPG

Startlight (3).JPG

Startlight (4).JPG

Startlight (5).JPG

Startlight (6).JPG

Startlight (7).JPG

Startlight (8).JPG

Startlight (9).JPG

Startlight (11).JPG

Looking forward to following along. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi Gang,

Latest update, spent a couple of hours mixing and testing paint samples for the cut edges.  I've kept a load of little paint pots that my daughter used for doing "Paint by numbers" during lockdown, these have come in handy for these little paints quantities I need, some of the paints are still useable, but most are dry and I just clean out the pots and mix my own fresh paints in them.

Continued the hull construction, I needed to add a couple of card shims under the quarter deck as my cutting out of the underlying ribs on these two wasn't quite right.  The hull sides went on easier than I anticipated, even the split stern area.  I have a couple of gaps to close up, but I need to let what I have done dry, as I can't close these up without squashing out of shape the surrounding areas, this card construction soon teaches you patience!

Next on the hull I need to add a rubbing strake (which will nicely cover part of the hull joints) a bow stem piece and the rudder post.  The inner bulwarks will need painting, the instructions call for yellow, but I'm tending towards the red oxide colour as there seems too much yellow on model for my tastes.  But first I need to add number of bulwark stanchions, these will help stiffen and straighten out the bulwarks a little.

Thanks for looking in, until next time!

Starlight12.JPG

Starlight13.JPG

Starlight14.JPG

Starlight16.JPG

Starlight15.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

43 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Ha! this way madness lies

Yes, but this sort of madness keeps me sane! 😁

Looking good Andrew.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

8 hours ago, Dave_E said:

I find myself more and more intrigued by this thing you call “card”.

That's what I said, too, once upon a time. Now look at me. 😬

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Tonight's update, the finishing off of the hull with addition of the rubbing streaks, bulwark stanchions and hawse hole covers and steps to the quarterdeck.  Then cut edges painted with as close as I can match to the printed colouring.  I think the whole model might benefit from spray of matt vanish near the end of the build to even out the various finishes; from matt to semi satin at the moment.

Next up I think I need to have a go at some of the smaller details such as bollard and fairleads, one to see how I get on with the smallest parts and two I don't think I will be able to add them later, the forecastle deck in particular is going to get very cramped, for trying to add these in at a later stage.

Starlight 17.JPG

Starlight 18.JPG

Starlight 19.JPG

Starlight 20.JPG

Starlight 21.JPG

Oh my, it is very small! Until I looked at the photo of you holding it, I was thinking it was about 10- 12 inches long. It must be less than half that.

Admirable work, it looks very good.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Small update of the construction of the bollards and fairleads, 30no. parts, of which the bases were laminated.  To be honest I don't know how you are supposed to roll 0.5mm card into tubes of 1mm diameter! and when the bollards are only 2mm high, I did try patiently to do it, but after a while thought life is just too short and grabbed some thin plastic rod!  This is where I am banished from the CARD fraternity! 🙄

The bollard caps were an approximation of 'round' after attempting to cut them out, can see this is where a good set of punches would come in!

Still under a coat of paint they'll look okay to a blind man on a galloping horse! 🏇

I think I have determined to work my way from bow to stern with the details, the forecastle is going to get very cluttered and delicate with the winch etc. in there, so that is where I'll go next before I cut off the access too much with the main hold cover, then on to the deck house and quarterdeck area.

Starlight 22.JPG

Starlight 23.JPG

Starlight 24.JPG

Starlight 25.JPG

Starlight 26.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

This is where I am banished from the CARD fraternity!

Even Kondzik resorted to putting wooden strips in small beams. See his card Allège d'Arles build. He also has some excellent tips on modelling in card.

Tony

I have used small diameter brass rod for bollards in the past which can be squared off using a photo etch file. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Most models are actually 'mixed media' to some degree. Your bollards will like fine to the average viewer. I once knew a great modeler who described his models as 'artistic impressions' -- they looked a little rough if you looked too closely, but at normal viewing distances they were lovely.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

15 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I once knew a great modeller who described his models as 'artistic impressions' -- they looked a little rough if you looked too closely, but at normal viewing distances they were lovely.

I'm going to steal that description and abuse it for every build from now on!  😆

Amazing work  - not easy in plastic  but  bendy card......hats  off  for sure.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Tiny update (literally!)  I have added the Companionway, chimney and windlass.  I set off again to try and use the card parts, but some were just too small for my paper skills, so I resorted to parts of plastic, wire and brass, the windlass has a reduced part count, but still around 20no. bits in total.  The galley chimney was card originally, then unravelled a bit when I painted the join, so redid in plastic.  I did a bit of metallic dry brushing on the windlass to bring out a few details.

Thanks all for looking in and the kind words! 😄

Starlight 27.JPG

Starlight 28.JPG

Starlight 29.JPG

Starlight 30.JPG

Starlight 31.JPG

Starlight 32.JPG

Starlight 34.JPG

Starlight 33.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Looks great! Keep forgetting just how small this boat is. 

This update we have moved onto some "big" stuff! 😲  Made up the main hatch and started the wheel house assembly.  I didn't like the colour of the main hatch cover, so tinted it a darker brown. Also added a couple of Sampson posts that were going to be sandwiched between the main hatch and bulwarks, so these went in first before I lost easy access.  Thought better of adding the mast at the moment, I just know what I WILL accidentally do to it if I add to early in the build.

Again thanks for the comments and likes. 

Starlight 40.JPG

Starlight 39.JPG

Starlight 36.JPG

Starlight 37.JPG

Starlight 35.JPG

Moved back to the 'pointy end' this evening and added an anchor, chain and davit.  None of them made from card! 😲  Wire, brass sheet and the smallest chain I have, though still too over scale really.  Thread is elastic "Esi-line" I use for rigging model biplanes etc.  Also good for ships antenna wires.

Starlight 49.JPG

Starlight 46.JPG

Starlight 47.JPG

Starlight 48.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Hi all, I've made good progress this last few days, adding the Wheelhouse and the small rowing boat.  I decided to go for the enclosed cabin rather than the earlier open Wheelhouse, just because I liked the look of it more.  Also an added advantage that there were some tiny parts in the cabin that didn't need to be made in the enclosed cabin as you wouldn't see them! 😉 - I did however add some thin cellophane glazing.

Then we started adding the little details that make the simple cabin look a bit more interesting, like navigation lights, wire hand rails, and air vents, doors and so on.  I've still to add the wire ladder to access the wheel house and somehow fashion a couple of life-rings, as I don't have a punch set, these are going to be beyond me in card.

Lastly I made up the fiddly little ship's boat, this was a bit of a challenge, but over a few sessions it came together okay.

Starlight 41.JPG

Starlight 42.JPG

Starlight 43.JPG

Starlight 44.JPG

Starlight 45.JPG

Starlight 59.JPG

Starlight 57.JPG

Starlight 54.JPG

Starlight 53.JPG

Starlight 52.JPG

Starlight 51.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Nicely done Andrew.

Richard

Next build:

Completed builds:

AL's Endeavour,  Corel's BellonaAmati's Xebec,  Billing's Roar Ege, Panart's Armed Launch

Ships' Boats - Vanguard 1:64 and Master Korabel 1:72

Alexander Arbuthnot,  Christiaan Brunings,  Pevenseall by World of Paperships

HMS Pegasus by Victory

Captain John Smith's Shallop by Pavel Nitikin

Rumpler "Taube" 1911 by HMV

Just WOW  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thank you @richard44 , @Dave_E & @Old Collingwood for your kind words 😀

Viewed using my magnifying glass headset or even the macro on the mobile camera, things do not look to hot! 🤣 but as Chris said on post #15, we can all aim for an “artistic impression” from normal viewing distances. Looks even better if I don’t wear my reading glasses 😉

Thanks E Z, working at this scale does require a generous profanity count! - Nearly matching the part count on this Puffer at times 🤐

But slowly learning as I'm getting older that when this occurs just put it down (I'm supposed to be enjoying myself!) and go start something else; even something on the same build - I hardly ever stick to the instruction sequence on any kit and often hop to my "favourite" bits and come back to the profanity inducing parts as and when I am feeling Zen. 😇

9 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Thank you @richard44 , @Dave_E & @Old Collingwood for your kind words 😀

Viewed using my magnifying glass headset or even the macro on the mobile camera, things do not look to hot! 🤣 but as Chris said on post #15, we can all aim for an “artistic impression” from normal viewing distances. Looks even better if I don’t wear my reading glasses 😉

Same with my figures mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

43 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Ha, well there is that old saying about something looking good enough for “a blind man on a galloping horse”, but you paint the actual horses as well! 🤣🐴 (and very well to boot 👍!)

Thank you kindly my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.