Flamborough Head Lighthouse by AJohnson - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1:250

Evening All,

Starting a build log for something new to me, a card model!  I have been inspired by the logs on MSW of various people turning humble card and paper into masterpieces - not least Chris Coyle and his many tutorials on how to get started - I will be following these for my builds for sure.  👍

I bought a couple of kits from Paper Shipwright, a Clyde Puffer and this Lighthouse, I'm glad I did as I opened the packaging for the Puffer and nearly fell off my chair, there are just loads of tiny pieces to cut out and laminate.  So very quickly decided a lighthouse with a square base building might be the better option for my first model.  Baby steps and all that...

So what I received today was An introduction sheet with a little history of Flamborough Head Lighthouse and general instructions on how to proceed and key symbols to look for in the instructions.  The instructions themselves form the next sheet accompanied with two labelled diagrams showing the parts.  Finally the two A4 sized card sheets with all the parts on that need cutting out.

First step was to seal the sheets with fixative as recommended by Chris in his tutorials, but my can is fairly old and splatters a bit, so I have paused this until I get a fresh can.  I did a tiny test area and the fixative does darken the colours slightly, so I do need to do this before I can look at trying to match these colours with paint on the various edges that are going to need it.

I did manage to cut out and glue part No.1 (the ground plan) onto some 5mm thick dense fibreboard as my base and painted the edges white.  So I will leave things there until I can 'fix' my sheets.

Until next time!

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

I look forward to the progress for this one as apart from something different, I sailed past her a few times from Aberdeen to Hull in my seafairing days. I am sure you will make a very fine job of this. Good luck.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Great intro, Andrew. Just one note: you may notice that your topic tags have disappeared -- we don't use them in the non-ship area. We do that so that no non-ships will turn up in tag searches done by people looking for ship stuff.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

4 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Great intro, Andrew. Just one note: you may notice that your topic tags have disappeared -- we don't use them in the non-ship area. We do that so that no non-ships will turn up in tag searches done by people looking for ship stuff.

Ah, okay Chris 👍🏻 I wouldn’t want to attract the ire of the shipping gods, we want to keep the ‘non-ship’ subculture under the radar! 🤣

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

we want to keep the ‘non-ship’ subculture under the radar!

Yep, we are the modeling step children... {chuckle} Welcome to the forum for everything non shipping related...

(even such, it is still the best modeling forum on the net, bar none)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

The build has commenced! As mentioned at the start I had cut out the base board and glued it onto some dense fibre board and cut this to size and painted the perimeter border white.  My new fixative spray arrived earlier today, so everything was given a coat to help protect the printing.  I did some easy laminating first; some parts (like the tower gallery bases need to be thicker than the rest of the parts so you need to score a fold line and glue them together first.  These have been left to dry flattened between some heavy books.  Others building card models have recommended Canopy glue and it does seem to work very well - almost too well in fact, it grabs very quickly!

I very quickly decided I need to pinch one of my daughters homework folders to keep everything safe and flat, away from accidental spillages and the like, as card doesn't clean up so easily as plastic when you spill your tea/coffee/beer...  plus it helped me to organise the instructions and parts into the "Tower of Doom" and the Keeper's house.

First stage is to assemble the main tower, but first there is the 'option' to use some windows to provide some 3D relief rather than just the printed windows on the outside of the tower.  There are optional windows provided to do this if you wish.  Looking at this I thought why stop at recessed windows?  So I set to make my own Lintels and Sills for the windows, by cutting out little strips from the same card, gluing these on in the position of the printed versions.  (Fortunately remembering to log on the reverse the location of actual windows and 'blanks' - a rarity for me the think of such things in advance!)

At the end of that process there where some faint remains of the printed black lines I didn't want to see, so I painted the outside in Acrylic white.  I finished off the session with attaching the hidden fixing strips and cutting out the saw-tooth tabs ready for assembling the tower, but I will leave that for the next session when everything is dry.

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Nice!!

Are you going to install a "Working" light?

(Sorry, just had to ask the question.... 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

7 hours ago, hof00 said:

Nice!!

Are you going to install a "Working" light?

(Sorry, just had to ask the question.... 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Oh no, I actually hadn’t thought about it, but it is so obvious now, doh!🤦‍♂️

What have you done, I’m going to have to think about that….. 🤣

3 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Oh no, I actually hadn’t thought about it, but it is so obvious now, doh!🤦‍♂️

What have you done, I’m going to have to think about that….. 🤣

Sorry Chap....

High Intensity LED and simple Flasher circuit perhaps?

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

4 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

To do that you'll have to find out the "period" of the light - what sequence of "lit" and "occluded", so seafarers know that its Flamborough, not some other lighthouse . . . :P

Steven

Ah unfortunately I can't use that as an excuse Steven as Paper Shipwright tell you! 😆 - Four flashes and a pause of 15 seconds, then repeat.

Edited by AJohnson

Moved on to the Keeper's dwellings.  Firstly as with the tower I cut out the printed windows and glued in the optional recessed windows.  These still need to be painted white at the edges and have window sills added and this time painted green.  I will do this at a later stage as there is also a green plinth around the whole perimeter of the building.  Also scored the folding edges before cutting the walls out.

The instructions get you to the rear part of the dwellings first part #22 (nearest the tower) as this part has two internal extensions that help reinforce the front part of the building.  This all went fairly straightforwardly, with the exception of the two small (and very tricky - for me that is) porch extensions and small flat roofs.  I've made a bit of a 🐷's ear of these, but the glue stuck so well and quickly, trying to readjust them made some sections of the card delaminate and others tore. 😖  Deep breath and carry on - this is my first card kit and so not expecting it to be a looker! 😆

Final part for this session was adding the roof to give the whole assembly some rigidity.  The fiddly part of this was the roof capping part #25.  This was very thin and needed pre-painting along the cut edges to match the pale grey.  If I could do this again, I would not have tried to keeping the whole part in one piece, as it was difficult to keep in shape, so cutting it into two or three sections might have made things easier - another lesson learned. 👍

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0589.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

I think All  card/paper  builders  are  magicians   to be able to turn a  sheet of  drawings into a 3D  piece of art.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

7 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I think All  card/paper  builders  are  magicians   to be able to turn a  sheet of  drawings into a 3D  piece of art.

OC.

I’m more from the “Uri Geller” school of ‘magic’ as my lighthouse is a bit “bendy” in places! 🤣🤣🤣

But yes I agree, I am also in awe of people like Chris and the Polish Paper Ninja’s 👏😲 I’m at the Karate Kid “Grasshopper” stage, but having fun trying something new. 👍

Edited by AJohnson

Evening All,  

This update has taken a little while as I have found the process of rolling card into tubes a bit of a challenge!  😣  The main tower is together now and attached to the Keeper's house, the recessed optional windows made it difficult to get a nice curve as the backing card to the windows would not bend as easily, so the tower is not quite the sweeping curve of architectural beauty it would otherwise have been... 😆 oh well, onwards!

I get the feeling card modellers are glutens for punishment, if the fiddly next stages are anything to go by.  Four chimney pots about 8mm high and 4mm square, topped with a rolled tube for the stack; I rolled these around a pin to curve them.  I'm now on with making handrailing out of glued thread on the provided template.  Following Chris's hints and tips closely.  I will keep you all posted on how that goes.

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

Keep at it, Andrew! This is more than acceptable work as a first effort. My first card models don't even exist anymore. 😬

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Looking so  nice.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Finishing touches on my first dabble in the Card model world.

I made the lattice lantern windows using the kit template and glued thread, fiendishly difficult to bend into a tube, but it sort of went into shape.  Glazed with some thin clear sheet, topped off with a tiny weather vane.

This little model now has a spot in our nautical themed Summerhouse, as approved by the Admiral.  Finally a picture of the real thing taken on holiday a few years ago.

Thanks for the likes and follows on this first trip down the card "rabbit hole"  I have another to do, but first I better get back to my neglected "Nisha"!

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0650.jpg

Excellent workmanship and what seems like very quick work. I like the look of your workshop in the garden. What are you thinking of doing for your next project Andrew?

1 hour ago, DaveBaxt said:

Excellent workmanship and what seems like very quick work. I like the look of your workshop in the garden. What are you thinking of doing for your next project Andrew?

Thanks Dave, I have two unfinished models to return to, the Vanguard "Nisha" and a Caldercraft "Bounty"  I do have a few plastic aircraft kits in stock, one of those might get built this year.  As to new ship builds, think my next will be a kit-bash of Caldercraft's "HMS Snake" into HMS "Scylla", but I need to finish the ones above before I launch into that!

3 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Thanks Dave, I have two unfinished models to return to, the Vanguard "Nisha" and a Caldercraft "Bounty"  I do have a few plastic aircraft kits in stock, one of those might get built this year.  As to new ship builds, think my next will be a kit-bash of Caldercraft's "HMS Snake" into HMS "Scylla", but I need to finish the ones above before I launch into that!

You seem to be juggling quite a few balls at once. I look forward to your HMS Snake/Scylla when ever you get around to it. Best of luck with what you are doing now.

Beautiful model and a very appropriate display setting.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very well done for a first card model my friend... My first never got finished...

A very demanding medium and a new road to travel when the muse strikes.... Bravo!

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Excellently done  - and  what a wondeful display for it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me