Hawker Typhoon 1b "Car Door" by AJohnson - Airfix - 1:24

MSW is like an addiction, this kit has been sat in the stash getting on for a couple of years now and I was thinking I would be strong and finish up a few projects before diving in.  

But no.  @realworkingsailor has done a wonderful build log of a "Tiffy" and @Egilman @Javlin @CDW @Landlubber Mike and other guilty parties (you know who you are!) have being chipping in with loads of useful insights and info and now I have worm in my head saying "do it!" 🤪

Thanks guys!!! 😆

I have built the "bubble top" version before, so know what to expect with this kit, but this time I have bought a few "extras" to pimp it up a bit.

This will be a slow burner as I have got plenty still to do after the leak in the house and the place is a bit of a mess, but at least we have ceilings again as of this week.  😁

Just putting down a place marker to say, yeah I can't resist.... (now where is that straight jacket...) :rolleyes:

Typhoon-01.jpg

Typhoon-02.jpg

Typhoon-03.jpg

Typhoon-04.jpg

Typhoon-05.jpg

Typhoon-06.jpg

Typhoon-07.jpg

Typhoon-08.jpg

Typhoon-09.jpg

Typhoon-10.jpg

Edited by AJohnson

Nice, can't wait to see some progress Andrew. I pulled my bubble canopy one out of the stash several times, but now I will follow your build first.
Moons ago, I bought a loot of goodies for my build, among them the Brassin guns. Problem was, there were only three in the blister and I had to contact Eduard and they sent the missing one. It's not the firs time this happened to me with Eduard, but luckily they solve the problems relatively fast. At least, I learnt to check what's in the box with them.

Cheers Rob

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

1 hour ago, DocRob said:

Nice, can't wait to see some progress Andrew. I pulled my bubble canopy one out of the stash several times, but now I will follow your build first.
Moons ago, I bought a loot of goodies for my build, among them the Brassin guns. Problem was, there were only three in the blister and I had to contact Eduard and they sent the missing one. It's not the firs time this happened to me with Eduard, but luckily they solve the problems relatively fast. At least, I learnt to check what's in the box with them.

Cheers Rob

Glad to have you along Rob! I really admire your builds and so any hints & tips you can provide along the way, will be greatly received.  Especially the great way you pre-paint and weather - when I get to that stage.  I am hoping to do it as R7752 - "PR-G" but perhaps earlier in her career than she is normally modelled.  Certainly not the all shiny-new scheme applied for the ubiquitous "photo-op" pictures of Beaumont and freshly painted Train "kill" markings/yellow cannons and leading edges.  I have got some marking paint masks; mostly as large decals don't seem to look right at 1/24 scale.  We shall see, we have time before I need to decide exactly what era I will portray R7752.  My Brassin cannons are all there thankfully.

Typhoon-11.JPG

R7752-1.jpg

Beaumont-1.jpg

Beaumont-2.jpg

Edited by AJohnson

I’m in!

That’s quite the collection of extras that you’ve amassed!

Looking forward to watching your progress at whatever speed you comfortably attain!

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

11 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

I’m in!

That’s quite the collection of extras that you’ve amassed!

Looking forward to watching your progress at whatever speed you comfortably attain!

Andy

Hi Andy, glad of another wingman! 😁  I have accumulated them over a space of time, some from eBay when the price is right, at recommended retail prices that lot would cost nearly as much as the kit!

Andrew, I'm in, too. It's quite the big beast of an aircraft. Take your; we'll savor the build better, I think.;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

:stunned: I misread something, sorry

Edited by DocRob
Misunderstanding

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Oh wow, looking forward to this! Which Eduard PE set is that? Coincidentally I just placed an order with Hannants last night for some extras for my Airfix bubble top.

Serials are:-

Interior set 23022

Mask set LX002

Seatbelts(for car door) set 23025

Armament set 23021.

I also got the resin Barracuda Studios Carb intake,BCR24202.

54 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

Glad to have you along Rob! I really admire your builds and so any hints & tips you can provide along the way, will be greatly received.  Especially the great way you pre-paint and weather - when I get to that stage. 

Thank you Andrew, I'm blushing. I never built a British plane to my knowledge, so I'm hardly an expert, when it comes to painting. For the Tiffy and Mossie, I chose AK's Real colors, as they generally match well and spray superb, thinned with leveling thinner. They are also very durable and good to mask and weather on top.

Cheers Rob

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Does any company make the fishplates in photo etch? There is a nasty seam through the middle of the fishplates. Would be better to remove and replace them as cleaning up that seam will be a big hassle.

That is a good shout and I did find making those plates look neat a pain when I built the bubble top version, but I am not aware of any AM replacement P.E.?

Awesome!  More aftermarket the better in my book :) 

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

34 minutes ago, AJohnson said:

That is a good shout and I did find making those plates look neat a pain when I built the bubble top version, but I am not aware of any AM replacement P.E.?

I looked on Scalemates and couldn’t see anything amongst the listed AM sets. Could you scratch build the fishplates from thin brass or styrene stock?

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

2 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

I looked on Scalemates and couldn’t see anything amongst the listed AM sets. Could you scratch build the fishplates from thin brass or styrene stock?

Andy

Right now I'm thinking the styrene sheet stock route. I'll look around to see if I have some left over photo etch I might cut the plates from.

24 minutes ago, CDW said:

Will you plan to leave any opened panels or model it all closed up?

I plan to do one half all "buttoned-up" - probably the port side and the starboard side all open with the "giblets" showing, with the canopy door and roof open to show the cockpit as best I can. 

I did this with my last 1/24, a FAA Hellcat.  

20210420_193244.jpg

20210420_193340.jpg

Edited by AJohnson

I'm down brother, wouldn't miss this for the world...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 hours ago, Egilman said:

I'm down brother, wouldn't miss this for the world...

Thank you all, I’m all puffed up now with my supporting wingmen, should be fun. I have been doing research on R7752 and already 99% sure she was a pure “Strafer” and never carried bombs and definitely never Rockets, despite what some old box top art of older kits might suggest.
The nearby museum of RAF Elvington I am lucky enough to visit often has the 609 Squadron Museum based there. Many great pieces of artwork and contemporary photos to look at, but P7752’s looks before her “Beaumont” photo op makeover are, as usual, up for debate. 

Edited by AJohnson

Have any of you ever run across the website "Scribd dot com"? There are a ton of reference materials there for digital download all for a monthly subscription fee. First month is free and there is no obligation to actually continue to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. I guess it's all on the up and up but I'm no attorney so not sure how this all works its way through the legal system.

I ran across the site searching for the "how to build the 1:24 Airfix Typhoon" book.

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Scribd dot com

A site that's been around since almost the beginning of the internet, it's real...

It's just one of my resources for searching the net... like anything else sometimes it's a boon sometimes it's a bust...

overall, it's a pretty good site if your looking for something specific...

They have both editions of it, the first edition and the revised second edition...

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

40 minutes ago, Egilman said:

A site that's been around since almost the beginning of the internet, it's real...

It's just one of my resources for searching the net... like anything else sometimes it's a boon sometimes it's a bust...

overall, it's a pretty good site if your looking for something specific...

They have both editions of it, the first edition and the revised second edition...

I haven't even scratched the surface yet for everything that's available for download there. All sorts of material. 

6 hours ago, CDW said:

Have any of you ever run across the website "Scribd dot com"? There are a ton of reference materials there for digital download all for a monthly subscription fee. First month is free and there is no obligation to actually continue to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. I guess it's all on the up and up but I'm no attorney so not sure how this all works its way through the legal system.

I ran across the site searching for the "how to build the 1:24 Airfix Typhoon" book.

No this is new to me, thank you for the heads up. I have had a quick look and it’s a huge site, thanks. 👍

• 6 months later...

I'm in too! Really interested in this one. And all the aftermarket bits too.

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35