De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 by AJohnson - Airfix - 1/48

AJohnson

Hello all,

As a break from building my Bounty, I have completed a little project that I've had in mind to do for years.  Have always wanted to build a model of a De Havilland Chipmunk T.10 trainer that I had my first flight in as an Air Cadet at the age of 14!

This year's new 1/48 scale release by Airfix was the excuse I had been waiting for.  A fairly straightforward build, only 'tricky' bit I found was the construction of the canopy, which came in several parts.

The actual aircraft "WG407" is still in existence and I think airworthy,  based in Cambridgeshire; now in private hands.  My little certificate I got for completing my first flight also pictured, my flight took place at RAF Finningley (now Doncaster Airport) with No.9 Air Experience flight based there.

20210923_115513.jpg

20210923_115457.jpg

20210923_115447.jpg

20210923_115440.jpg

20210923_115420.jpg

20210923_115525.jpg

20210923_110639.jpg

Edited by AJohnson

It is always enjoyable to be able to build a model with a personal connection.

Yours certainly came out nicely.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I too had my very first flight in a Chipmunk, The Air Experience flight at Filton Bristol back in 1975-- definitely going to get this kit--not sure it will be a good as build as your excellent one..

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

I find models that have a connection more enjoyable........one of my projects are the cars that my parents owned when I was a youngster.  I haven't started it yet.......waiting an a pair of engines :rolleyes:

nice looking plane........was it hard to find and source the markings?  love the color  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

7 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I find models that have a connection more enjoyable........one of my projects are the cars that my parents owned when I was a youngster.  I haven't started it yet.......waiting an a pair of engines :rolleyes:

nice looking plane........was it hard to find and source the markings?  love the color  :) 

I got some additional decals from Xtradecal, with some generic numbers and letters, so not too difficult to replicate "my" Chipmunk.