TSS Earnslaw 1912 by AJohnson - FINISHED - Paper Shipwright - 1:250 scale - CARD

After reading the review by @ccoyle about Paper Shipwright Card models:- 

I bought a few to have a dabble, so far I have I made Flamborough Lighthouse and the Puffer "Starlight" from their range.  I wasn't thinking in terms of doing another until I had completed one or two other sadly neglected projects; my Caldercraft Bounty being the most neglected! 🤫, but a leak in the loft has turned the house a bit upside down and many items from the house have filled up the garage (my workshop). 

So while we dry out and await the builders to arrive, I can only build something small that fits in my mobile model station and a small card model fits the bill perfectly until I need to do re-decorating in the house!

I won't go into the model too much as Chris has covered what you get in his review, but here are a few initial pictures of what you get.

Earnslaw-01.JPG

Earnslaw-02.JPG

Earnslaw-03.JPG

Earnslaw-04.JPG

Earnslaw-05.JPG

Earnslaw-06.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Well I have made a start and about completed step one of the instructions - apart from the last bit that has me temporarily stumped, more on that in a bit.

Firstly I cut myself a wood building base, that if all goes well I might convert into a display base as I did with my card "Starlight" Puffer and do a little scene with the "Earnslaw" on water, we shall see if we get there! 

Next scored the fold lines on the hull base prior to cutting out and gluing temporarily to the building base with a perimeter of little glue dots.  Then it was on to construction!  The Hull spine and formers, I really tried my best to cut exactly on the lines with these as I don't think I was careful enough on the puffer and it caused a few issue with shape and fit, so fingers crossed its better this time.  

I've doubled and glued a few sections of the first sheet to form thicker parts for later and set to one side to dry under some weight. 

The bit I'm pondering now is the stern parts; 12a - 12f, the instructions simply state to "glue in place the lower stern formers", but there are no pictures to show exactly how this goes.  They must form the curve of the stern, so need to get them in the right place.

Earnslaw-07.JPG

Earnslaw-08.JPG

Earnslaw-09.JPG

Earnslaw-10.JPG

Earnslaw-11.JPG

Earnslaw-12.JPG

Earnslaw-13.JPG

Earnslaw-14.JPG

Earnslaw-15.JPG

Hello all, I've made some progress on the main deck, firstly scoring and cutting out all the slots that will eventually provide supports to the hull side and upper deck support columns.  I glued this onto the hull spine and formers and left to dry.  I have decided to leave the stern lower formers until I temporarily separate the model from the building base later on, I didn't like the look of how they were glued on the other build log, they look very fragile and I'm not sure how I would glue them with enough strength.  I am planning to add them once I'm at the stage of forming the stern, add the formers to the underside of the main deck, making sure they align and let them dry before forming the stern around them.  Time will tell whether this is a "Cunning/Baldrick" plan... 

In the meantime the main deck needs a few details adding.  So I have formed and glued on the cargo hatch, latrines, Engine room entrance.  I cut out and pre-painted the cut edges of the optional doors before adding to these parts.  Next up, working aft, will be the addition of the Engine room, Saloon & stairs to complete this section of the instructions.

Thanks for the like and dropping by.

Earnslaw-16.JPG

Earnslaw-17.JPG

Earnslaw-18.JPG

Earnslaw-19.JPG

Earnslaw-20.JPG

It's been a busy old week, so not much progress to report on in that time, but I have finished all the details on the main deck so I can now add the top deck and hull sides.

These details included the steering gear grating, a couple of sets of bollards and benches around the main hatch.  I also had a go at some smaller details and replaced the printed staircase handrails with cut-out versions, they don't look to hot up close, but this is about the limit of my card skills so far.

Thanks for following along and the likes! 😁

Earslaw-21.JPG

Earslaw-22.JPG

Earslaw-23.JPG

Earslaw-24.JPG

Earslaw-25.JPG

Earslaw-26.JPG

Much more progress to report! :)

First set of photos show the hull sides going on, firstly gluing on the stern formers I had skipped earlier and glad to report that went okay!  What was fiddly was cutting out the side and not snapping off the top deck trimming/edges that flapped about like two antennae... the number of time I nearly trapped them between the hull and sides. :default_wallbash: - but got there in the end.

Next post the numerous deck support pillars. 

Earnslaw-27.JPG

Earnslaw-28.JPG

Earnslaw-29.JPG

Earnslaw-30.JPG

Earnslaw-31.JPG

Earnslaw-32.JPG

Earnslaw-33.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Deck support pillars, many support pillars!  Well 84#  I decided pretty quickly I was not going to be cutting them out of card and so cheated and used styrene instead.  I was dreading this part, but actually once I got into a "flow" they went on alright and actually most lined up and touched the under side of the promenade deck; those that didn't quite were hidden a bit by the mercifully still attached antenna/deck edges!  

On a short break now, but when i'm back it is onto the more "visible" stuff... 😲

Earnslaw-34.JPG

Earnslaw-35.JPG

Earnslaw-36.JPG

Earnslaw-37.JPG

Earnslaw-38.JPG

Earnslaw-39.JPG

Earnslaw-40.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind comments on the work so far, I've had a little break for a short family holiday and I am now back working on the Earnslaw.

I've read through the next few steps and have decide to deviate a little as the next step was to construct and glue on the funnel on,  but knowing what I'm like I think that the slender and delicate funnel would not survive long.  So I am doing the steps that consist of the more robust assemblies and the lower lying parts, working from the centre-line outwards, to save on the number of knocked-off / broken / lost bits! 😆

So to that end I have added the main hatch, lower wheel house, skylight and companionways.

Think the many top-side passenger benches need starting next.

Thanks for looking in 😁

Earnslaw 41.JPG

Earnslaw 42.JPG

Earnslaw 43.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

• 1 month later...

Looking good Andrew, it appears you have definitely taken to these card models.😉 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Thank you all for stopping by and the kind comments...

Benches, many fiddly benches, but my passengers need somewhere to sit don't they?! 💺

In the end it seemed to go best when I got things into staged production lines, and did batches of assemblies and got them all to the same stage before moving on.

However some of my passengers will have to stand as I am three benches short looking at the instructions (actually more but there is a mismatch between the printed model and the instructions.)  I am perfectly prepared to accept the "Carpet Monster" got them, but as I am exactly three benches and six supports short, I don't think I can loose stuff so evenly! 😆

Next up some bright yellow funnels I think.

Earnslaw-48.JPG

Earnslaw-49.JPG

Earnslaw-50.JPG

Earnslaw-51.JPG

Earnslaw-52.JPG

Earnslaw-53.JPG

Earnslaw-54.JPG

Earnslaw-55.JPG

Earnslaw-56.JPG

Earnslaw-57.JPG

Earnslaw-58.JPG

Earnslaw-59.JPG

Earnslaw-60.JPG

That's coming along very nicely, Andrew! If it turns out that you are, in fact, short three benches, scratch-building some replacements should be relatively easy.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

On 6/24/2023 at 4:58 PM, Waitoa said:

Beautiful model and had the joy of going on the real boat in the middle of falling snow will need to ad this to my build list

Reading your post made it occur to me that I had seen the TSS Earnslaw a few years ago in Queenstown.  HAH. 

BTW, your model looks great Andrew!

D88F602D-7669-4ED1-9ACE-5795F044173C_1_105_c.jpeg.a3e8fc88aaf60d75fafe99222bb7a2dc.jpeg

10478D1F-92DA-49E0-896F-DCC01594A97D_1_105_c.jpeg.0d6d28ccce949cde2d59e357911c711d.jpeg

F979668D-C233-4629-9AA6-6FA3EA9B6C50_1_105_c.jpeg.5e2a070924a1e3d132f0c9e05cf86fa1.jpeg

9D8701C0-508B-4E64-A7F9-2D3887406791_1_105_c.jpeg.7d9aa145f45c6fa7b31b512412dc4923.jpeg

16 hours ago, ccoyle said:

That's coming along very nicely, Andrew! If it turns out that you are, in fact, short three benches, scratch-building some replacements should be relatively easy.

Thanks Chris, I am going to see how much of the other same coloured card I'm going to use, I'm unlikely to try and make the mast out of card, so I may be able to fashion a few more benches out of that.

Hey Brian, thanks and for the great photos! 😁  I have family in N.Z. and hope to see TSS Earnslaw myself one day! 

Thank you all for your comments and likes, think this thing is starting to look like a steamer now, we have sprouted a funnel and a few intakes cowls.

I have also assembled and added the cargo windlass and the anchor capstan and stopper.  I cheated for the chain and used the smallest chain I have, still hugely over scale, but hey, better than me trying to cut out the tiny card one! 😬

As with the promenade deck support pillars I resorted to styrene for the forward deck awning frame, no way on earth I can make card do this! :default_wallbash:

Earnslaw 61.JPG

Earnslaw 62.JPG

Earnslaw 63.JPG

Earnslaw 64.JPG

Earnslaw 65.JPG

Earnslaw 66.JPG

Earnslaw 67.JPG

Earnslaw 68.JPG

Earnslaw 69.JPG

Added the two lifeboats this evening, the number of them does seem a little underwhelming given TSS Earnslaw was rated to carry 1,035 passengers and crew! But as we know, from a much more famous vessel from 1912 "Elf & Safety" was not the priority it is today.  🏊‍♂️ Still not that many Icebergs on Lake Wakatipu?  

The Davits were once again styrene rod, not card.

Earnslaw 61.JPG

Earnslaw 62.JPG

Earnslaw 63.JPG

Earnslaw 64.JPG

Earnslaw 65.JPG

Earnslaw 66.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Update for today.  I may have not provided my intrepid passengers with much in the way of life preservation, but at least we have protected them from the Sun! 😎 With the added bonus the awnings now partially conceal a multitude of sins. 😆

Nearly completed the awning frames (well would have completed them today if I had not run out of styrene rod! :default_wallbash:  But that didn't prevent me from fashioning the canvas awnings out of a single layer of painted tissue paper, the rest I can finish when my new stock arrives.

Other little jobs completed were the main mast and boom; including fiddly little navigation lights.  The wheel, engine telegraphs & compass, these really do look a Dog's breakfast up close, not my finest work! - I really don't comprehend how to cut out tiny details that are smaller than the thickness of the card...  I also did make up the three missing benches from left over card as Chris suggested.

Remaining tasks to do:-, rigging; of the mast and the funnel.  Bridge awning frame and cover, bridge navigation lights and thread handrailing.

So, with there being a real danger I might complete this one and it not end up in the bin, I will also get on with producing a base for Earnslaw to sail on.  So also need to look up a few refence pictures of Lake Wakatipu for possible colours.

Thanks for looking in! :piratebo5:

Earnslaw-70.JPG

Earnslaw-71.JPG

Earnslaw-72.JPG

Earnslaw-73.JPG

Earnslaw-74.JPG

Earnslaw-75.JPG

Earnslaw-76.JPG

Earnslaw-77.JPG

Earnslaw-78.JPG

Earnslaw-80.JPG

Earnslaw-81.JPG

Nice, Andrew! I'm confident that you will do the remainder of this model justice, after which we will be able to say that you have well and truly arrived as a card modeler. Maybe HMV's Bremen will be next? 😉

Ocean Liner Bremen IV

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

Just now, ccoyle said:

Nice, Andrew! I'm confident that you will do the remainder of this model justice, after which we will be able to say that you have well and truly arrived as a card modeler. Maybe HMV's Bremen will be next? 😉

Ocean Liner Bremen IV

Cheers!

😱 Baby Steps Chris, Baby steps! 🤣

I was more thinking along the lines of this one I have in stock.... 

Brighton.JPG

Just now, ccoyle said:

As do I -- it's like you're building your way through my stash!

Oh Good, that means the lovely people of MSW will get to see them done properly!!! 

And not have to see stuff like this:-

The dialogue in my head went something like:-

"Oh, I have forgotten to put the holes in the funnel for the support stays before I rolled and glued it in place.  Never mind I'll try and thread a needle through it in-situ! Brilliant idea!"

I know what you are all saying - "Won't that deform the funnel Andrew?" (Yes it did...) and "Isn't there a risk that the hole on the opposite side will be in the wrong place Andrew?" (Yep and it now looks like a disgruntled passenger has shot a hole in the top of it.)

Sulking now and off to paint the base board instead, I am better at painting stuff I think than delicate card models...

Oh and btw, there is now one side of the funnel you lot are never seeing again! :blush:

Earnslaw-85.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Hmm, looks like a Steve Martin comedy sketch. 😁  Keep on building.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

For future reference, for things like attachment points for guys, you don't absolutely need a hole all the way through the structure, though that is helpful. You really just need the tiniest of divots, which you can make by gently twisting an awl point at the spot.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco