Repairing Too Much Sanding a Plank

Not knowing the strength of my sanding pressure, this is the 2nd case where I have sanded through the thickness (1.0mm) of the 2nd planking.  This area of the hull will be painted.  Here you can see that there is a speck of the first planking showing through the walnut.  Any quick hints on repairing this other than multiple passes of filler/sanding/filler?  Also, any hints at preventing this from happening in the first place, other than not leaning hard on the sandpaper? 

1441969407_IMG_20210523_TooMuchSanding(2).thumb.jpg.60b41a5cae8cb00db14d96591970ba1e.jpg

The last sanding pass at this used 320 grit.

Thanks...John

Edited by drjeckl

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Hi John,

Your plank strakes are really nice and tight against each other, well done.   I really have no good solutions for this common problem and I realize kit builders are looking to make a profit, but I believe if they stopped using unrealistic open grain/porous  wood and supply the kit with a closer grain material and a bit thicker than 1mm they would get more business.   I understand some of the newer kits from other manufacturers have made big improvements.  Thankfully your "oops" is in area to be painted. 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

If you are going to pint it for sure I would suggest using super glue and baking baking soda.  Spread a film of glue over the area to be filled and sprinkle with soda repeating until you have a good buildup.  It is very easy to sand and build up until you are satisfied. Do this before you paint.  Experiment with it on some scrap wood. I think you will be surprised and how easy it is to do. 

Bill

Edited by Bill Hudson
added thought

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

• 6 months later...

Just saw this old video that some may find interesting and useful.  I am no fan of CA, but this is intriguing, if not for our model exploits, for around the house.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU