Help from German speaking readers needed…

Waldemar

Although a native German speaker, I did not chip in before, as I had some difficulties deciphering the script. I think the final 'free' translation is pretty good.

Was there a ship in the fleet of question by the the ARCA NOË ? I have difficulty reading the last three(?) words in the first sentence: ullb (or ulls?) auff der Lersnusa(?). One would need to compare the letters with others in the document that can be clearly identified by the context.

It was (and I used this for a time myself as well) to distinguish in handwriting 'n' from 'u' by putting a hook over it: Ŭ.

What you interpreted, at least at the beginning as 'tb', the symbol that looks a bit like a 'w' with a curl through it is the old abreviation for 'libra' = lb = pound.

I am not so terribly well educated in the details of German language history, but there has been a transition sometime between the 17th and 18th century from 'scheißen' (or scheiszen or scheissen) to 'schießen', i.e. the meaning of to shoot separated from to ****.

The verb 'zerspringen' (or only springen) was used to describe to burst or to explode, depending on the context up to the end of the 19th century in the context of artillery, a grenade 'zerspringt' (past tense 'zersprang') while today we would say it 'explodiert'. The same for a gun barrel. Today we would rather say 'bersten'.

Neither of German, Dutch, Swedish or Danish, was very standardised (perhaps German the least) as to the spelling and also the vocalisation (which still does vary in modern spoken German depending on where in the country the speaker originated from) in the 17th century. So one can observe variations even within the same text. Somehow the text reads as if there was some Swedish or Danish influence.

It is correct that gun-metal is more ductile than cast iron, but I would still use the term to burst, rather than to split, because the failure was usually due to casting failures (foreign substance in the metal, untempered stresses from the casting process, micro-fissures due uneven cooling, etc.) that could go undetected (there was no ultrasonic or radiographic testing at that time :) ) by inspecting the barrels by hammering at it. Such failures would result in fragmentation as for cast iron barrels. 

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Wefalck, many thanks for your entry and interesting explanations. While the translation itself, with the invaluable help of Uwe, Druxey and Cirdan, is already done, you may have just given a possible clue to the author's identity of this document, which is so far unknown.

Supposed Swedish linguistic influence in this script may point to the only non-German member of the Naval Commission (a body administering the fleet) – a Swede, Gabriel Pose. This is perhaps a path to explore, although there are so many other possibilities...

Deciphering a hand-written document in gothic script was really a challenging, almost traumatic experience. Happily, this document is mostly an easy-to-grasp listing with not-too-many different words, only frequently repeated. But, somewhat troublesome, notoriously differently spelled. The ship's name, "Arca Noë", is a good example. In one place it is written as "Arhnahe" (or "Arhnohe"), and in the other – "Archÿ Nohe", as you can see below (Daß Schüff Archÿ Nohe genandt).

029-1.thumb.JPG.f78bd81c7991077cd2990c2cb832d96e.JPG

Typically, cast-iron barrels would burst into many extremely dangerous fragments (just like the hand grenade would), in contrast to bronze ordnance, which would only open (split) in one spot, while still remaining in one piece (provided there was not much tin in the alloy, as in bells). This is why gunners usually preferred bronze guns.

Cheers, Waldemar

Edited by Waldemar