Maris Stella

spars

I got some email ads for this company and their kits. Does anyone have experience with them? What is the wood quality? How are the instructions? I'm thinking of adding a kit to my collection for post Mary Rose which is my winter build. Here in Minnesota winter can be a LONG time.

If you click MarisStella's ad banner on the home page, you can visit their website. Each model description includes numerous photos of the prototype model along with images of the kit plans. I have heard some people knock MarisStella's instructions (I haven't built one, so I can't say one way or the other), but the owner himself has acknowledged that the more complex models in the kit range assume some prior experience on the part of the builder, i.e. he/she should be comfortable building from plans. Personally, I have always been impressed with their lineup, and if you search through the build logs, you'll find examples of some under construction. PS: Be wary of email ads featuring sale prices on MarisStella kits -- it is often less expensive to order directly from MarisStella, even with shipping factored in.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

I have a Maris Stella kit in my stash, that I can take a peek at for you - main interest quality of wood and fittings?

Edited by VTHokiEE

There are builds here at MSW.   You can go to the kit area and do a search (limit the search to titles and "MarisStella" (one word) and "Content Titles only").  You'll get the results of every build log here.   Or you can search on the model name.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It’s the Liburnian Monoreme (I was supposed to be building it now, but the siren’s call is unavoidable). Unfortunately I can’t be of service for Britania pieces as this kit has none. I do suggest taking care when ordering (from wherever) as Maris Stella has upgraded many (all?) of their offerings. They were very responsive to my emails when I ordered this. The laser cut bulkheads are done in a nice plywood and the strip wood is all walnut. The walnut seems okay, but I’ve never worked with it before and have no good comparison. My kit also comes with some balsa filler blocks that may also be laser cut (or at least outlined). Here are a few pictures if they help at all.F32B5F58-7B88-4C41-9CD5-41144D612401.thumb.jpeg.58488375ac90c7e1bb8b7ed1e56cc2c0.jpeg

8D521D53-2313-4F38-B01B-D28FA66BFD3D.thumb.jpeg.530f818bf79196c14e8b34a4f36ed23f.jpeg

EE29C35F-D79E-400A-9780-7525AAE431D6.thumb.jpeg.afe749cf963c941cf6069306c0c7a744.jpeg

D0CFF0A1-AE67-4E75-ADA4-39D672B0590A.thumb.jpeg.b659e8e20d4a1943a6c317aeaef7d5f6.jpeg

21A73C7E-9772-467C-A11E-FACF784616C5.thumb.jpeg.f97ab884c78474a34f415ed82baa95da.jpeg

Feel free to send me a PM is you have any real detailed questions that I might be able to help with.