Good morning, I am trying to restore a 1:98 scale Victory.  It was a "barn find" so, I don't have plans for it.  From a member in this forum, I have learned that it might be a Mantua model, but, that is NOT verified and don't know how to confirm it.

All that said, does anyone have 1:98 scale plans that I could buy, or know where I can find any?  Here is my ship.

Can anyone identify my ship, or confirm that it is a Mantua?

Thank you and Happy New Year

16412208198137297154149538768812.jpg

Three sources are the 100 Gun Ship Victory Anatomy of a Ship by McKay, Longridge's Anatomy of Nelson's Ships, and RMG.  There are nine low res contemporary draws of Victory 1765 on the RMG Collections website, any or all of which can be downloaded for free or purchased in high resolution as well in 1:48.  These can be reduced at your local printer easily if you choose to receive them electronically.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/ Victory 1765  You can probably reach out to Mantua as well but they may not be as accurate as the other sources.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

4 hours ago, Rgpracer said:

Good morning, I am trying to restore a 1:98 scale Victory. 

Hi, nice find. May I ask how you established the model is 1/98 scale?

If it is the Mantua Victory this might be useful:

Mantua 911 HMS Victory Construction Plans Set | Cornwall Model Boats

HTH,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

4 hours ago, allanyed said:

Three sources are the 100 Gun Ship Victory Anatomy of a Ship by McKay, Longridge's Anatomy of Nelson's Ships, and RMG.  There are nine low res contemporary draws of Victory 1765 on the RMG Collections website, any or all of which can be downloaded for free or purchased in high resolution as well in 1:48.  These can be reduced at your local printer easily if you choose to receive them electronically.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/ Victory 1765  You can probably reach out to Mantua as well but they may not be as accurate as the other sources.

Allan

Thank you sir.

2 hours ago, bruce d said:

Hi, nice find. May I ask how you established the model is 1/98 scale?

If it is the Mantua Victory this might be useful:

Mantua 911 HMS Victory Construction Plans Set | Cornwall Model Boats

HTH,

Bruce

Afternoon Bruce, lady on this site, tlevine suggested that to her, it is a 1:98 scale Mantua......I gave her some measurements and she ascertained from that that it was.

I don't have a clue how to figure scale or what manufacturer it is.

Thanks

Ray

20 hours ago, Rgpracer said:

I don't have a clue how to figure scale or what manufacturer it is.

For future reference, if you know the measurements for the full size ship, you can divide that by the same dimension of the model and get an approximation..

Or Divide the full size dimension by the scale and see what you get.

A length I see for Victory is 186 feet on the gun deck..  Divide by 98 and you get 1.897  feet or about 22.7 inches.

So if your victory model is close to 23 inches on the gun deck, I would consider it close to 1:98..

Close enough that it is unlikely to be another common scale, such as 1:72 or 

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

2 hours ago, Gregory said:

For future reference, if you know the measurements for the full size ship, you can divide that by the same dimension of the model and get an approximation..

Or Divide the full size dimension by the scale and see what you get.

A length I see for Victory is 186 feet on the gun deck..  Divide by 98 and you get 1.897  feet or about 22.7 inches.

So if your victory model is close to 23 inches on the gun deck, I would consider it close to 1:98..

Close enough that it is unlikely to be another common scale, such as 1:72 or 

Perfect, thanks sir.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that appears to be a Corell model. I am currently in the midst of putting together the same kit by Corell, complete with the "ugly" (?) gunports. Thi is my first build, and it is pretty challenging for me, but I am having lots of fun with it. Instructions are pretty sketchy at best, but the plan detail, about 14 sheets, is very good.

JD