Have a screen shot of  a drawing titled "windlass early American" of several views of a hand operated windlass with no other identification

except that it is copyrighted by MSW. Probably downloaded it more than ten years ago.It is part of my attempt to  find what a windlass for the 1885 America's  Cup racer Puritan would look like. All the information I have found so far, photos, drawings  books, museums, NRG members, have no details of the foredeck of the Puritan. Considering using the windlass drawings shown in Chapelle's "American Fishing Schooners" as a model as the drawings are from the same era and the Puritan was designed by schooner designer and built in Lawleys yard. Model scale is 1:50 and an old Momoli kit, with deck details incorrect and out of scale.

Any comments, suggestions , or guidance would be appreciated.  

Bridgman Bob

Bob,

Not sure what you mean that MSW has a copyright on a drawing.  I may very well be wrong but I don't think MSW (Model Ship World??) owns any drawing copyrights.  Interesting project though.  Have you contacted the NYYC? They have hundreds of schooner models including cup racers and may be able to help you.   I would you give you some contacts but I have not been to visit them for quite a few years so have lost touch.  The Library of Congress is also a possible place to look if you have not already done so as well as the International Yacht Restoration School, in Newport Rhode Island where someone at that school may be willing to give you some help.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Are you sure that Puritan had a windlass?  These yachts were sailed by large professional crews capable of rigging multipart tackles to lift an anchor. They also had powered tenders to tow them to and from the starting line.  Puritan was designed specifically to defend the cup so had little need to anchor.

Weight in the ends of a racing yacht is bad as it increases pitching. Edward Burgess would have known this and would not have burdened her with unnecessary topside weights.

The Herreshoff Museum and America’s Cup Hall of Fame in Bristol, RI has models of America’s Cup defenders.  Give them a call.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Rodger:

An interesting thought, considering the seriousness that some individuals put on the cup races eliminating a windless

would have been considered. The photos I have show large crews on board while she is under sail, some show a dinghy on 

board, and others with an anchor on the forward port side rail. Cannot correlate photos dates to actual race dates. The few drawings

I have show outlines of some type of windlass, not much bigger than  the centerboard winch, hence the search for fore deck details.

Nice article on the Puritan in Novembers Woodenboat magazine, may have to try contacting the author.

Bob