Norske Love by BassicBill - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:75 - First Build in 35 years

My plans for beginning a scratch build were put on hold by the Commodore this week.  We were cruising a LHS in search of materials with which to begin a build that I have been quite excited about.  And then the Commodore found the kits.

Loooong story short…I walked out with a Billings Norske Love kit.  A 70-gun Danish Ship of the Line - late 18th Century.  I will begin construction soon (I need to buy a building board and I have another obligation to complete first). 

I have been doing research online with respect to other modeler’s efforts and have found some excellent resources.  These are especially welcome considering the lack of direction within the Billings instructional documentation. 

This is a pretty ship and I know it will give me hours of enjoyment and relaxation (and occasional stress attacks).   I intend to paint it completely (and appropriately) but that process is in the distant future...

post-5790-0-65067300-1375551456_thumb.jpg

Current build Andrea Gail (Billings)

Hi! Thats a great looking ship and Im looking forward to see you build her!

Judging by your cover, it looks to be a new kit. The only plastic I have in my BB Vasa are the sculptures and the ancar. That seem to be different with older kits that had dead eyes etc in plastic.

Ill be following !

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

While sorting through parts and pieces it dawned on me that the sheets of parts in my kit (wooden components) were totally free of any printing including part numbers and deck planking lines.  So I panicked over that until I found Gene Larson’s article on the subject – excellent resource!  So I was in my garage varnishing the deck sections when I realized that I already had the perfect solution in lumber from a kit that I did not finish decades ago.  I’m going to let the varnish dry, sand it smooth and commence to fastening the deck planking down. 

The basic keel is laid with the stem and stern posts in place, all held nicely on my build-board.  Currently cutting out the frames and sanding the edges smooth in preparation for gluing them in place

post-5790-0-41360000-1375635395_thumb.jpg

I'm finding it fascinating that the 'instructions' provided by Billings are so..."light".  The fun is in encountering each challenge and finding a solution.  Just because the kit uses Laser Cut technology sure doesn't mean everything will fit!  But moving along...onward and upward...

post-5790-0-18278000-1375726850_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Because I am at a point where decking is required, my build is on hold.  In the meantime I am working at building a little table saw base for my Dremel tool so that I can cut the decking I need in order to progress this project.  I am using the guidelines in the 'instructable' found online and adapting them to fit my needs.  This is a fun project in itself - I hope to be ripping lumber in about a week.

Bill,

How are things looking after 35 years of missing this? (:-) Your choice was always one that I thought was amazing, but I did not have the understanding on how to build something so advanced, especially with sails. I will follow your build. 

PS: I am also on my first build in more than 30+ years. Loving every moment. I have also learned so much by visiting builds on MSW.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael - Thanks for stopping by.  I'm moving a lot slower on this build than I would have in the past.  I want to be sure of every step rather than have to go back and repair mistakes (something that I wasn't always careful about in the past, to my frustration).  I like the advanced nature of the kit...the lack of instructions is neat in that I am required to think and get involved rather than cut stuff out and slap it together....that is really what I wanted when I went looking for a kit.

I have spent a lot of time crusing other build logs and learning as I go.  For others that are building this kit, I see that theirs came with a little information and detail on the laser-cut sheets of parts.  Mine are totally blank - another challenge :)  But hey - if it wasn't the challenge factor, I wouldn't be doing this at all!

If I had to do it again, I would have bought an RN frigate kit.  However I am not very patient and bought what was in stock.  I do like this ship though - she is very very pretty!

Hi Bill,

My name is Andrew and I am a new member to this site.  I started the Billings Boats "Norske Love" kit in about 1986. I reached the decking stage and then business committments took over.  Now retired, I am picking up the hobby again after a break oof at least 25 years; never too late.......I guess.  My project is a little further along than yours, but I look forward with interest to seeing your updates.  I will shorlty start a kit build progress log of my own (Freddy Andrew).  In the meantime, best of luck with your project.

Regards, Andrew.

I finished the development of my little table saw to a point where I could rip deck planking...and I ripped a pile.  The saw worked quite well.  I (as a Safety Professional) was leery of the spinning blade.  I used a push stick and remained vigilant throughout the operation.  In the end, I hardly lost any fingers at all and I have a pretty good stack of decking to use.  I'll have to do as much again but the hurdle of building the saw base is behind me.

post-5790-0-10762500-1378235152_thumb.jpg

Edited by BassicBill

With the lower deck vestibule decked and in place I was able to glue down the gun deck pieces (after sawing them to fit).  As soon as they were dry I began working on decking the gun deck.  I can see that I'll be doing some significant sanding before I progress too far.

I actually finished gluing the last plank on this deck this morning...I plan to start sanding this evening. I am hoping for an almost white finish after applying one coat of spar varnish to keep the dust out of the wood.

In the photo, note the complete lack of any markings on the deck pieces. All other Norske Love builds I've seen have decking planks printed on them. None of the parts in my kits are marked in any way - I'm guessing what is what. That is working so far yahoo_happy.gif

I am going for brain surgery (literally) in less than a week and therefore I don't expect to make a lot of progress in the next week or two.  Just the same, I'll accomplish what I can in the few days I have available to me before I turn myself in.  Who knows...maybe I'll wake up with much better building skills!!

post-5790-0-31229100-1378235286_thumb.jpg

Edited by BassicBill

Hi Bill,

Further to our discussion about deck finishes, your decking appears to be a darker and richer color than the planking on my model.  Is your deck planking natural unstained wood, and do you propose to apply any protective finish, such as a clear varnish?  As you know, I still have to make a decision about stain, varnish or an untreated finish.  Your thoughts waould be welcome.

Freddy, as far as I know (from guessing) the wood I'm using for decking is "Bass Wood".  Not completely uniform in colour, but close.  Not entirely uniform in thickness either, as it turns out.  I have had this bundle of 'lumber' for decades.  I don't remember where I got it or what it was a part of (if anything).  So far it's raw, with a little dry glue smeared on parts of the surface.  I just came from my bench where I glued the last pieces of decking on.  I plan to sand it this evening.  With respect to a finish - as you know I want it to appear well scrubbed.  I'm thinking a single coat of spar varnish will be what I apply (because I happen to have some spar varnish).  But...still a bit early to know for sure.

I finished the development of my little table saw to a point where I could rip deck planking...and I ripped a pile.  The saw worked quite well.  I (as a Safety Professional) was leery of the spinning blade.  I used a push stick and remained vigilant throughout the operation.  In the end, I hardly lost any fingers at all and I have a pretty good stack of decking to use.  I'll have to do as much again but the hurdle of building the saw base is behind me.

Bill,

Were all thrilled that the planks did not end up tinted red (:-)

PS: Nice job with those planks.

R/  Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

In the previous photo, the after hatch opening was covered. I cut the strips between the two hatches to the same length. For the rest of the area (gun deck) I staggered the planks to a degree but nothing like scale. I'm not sure how I feel about the job but there it is. I put a coat of spar varnish on it last night and sanded most of it off this morning - I want the wood sealed but 'raw' and unfinished...scrubbed, as it were.  A little more sanding is needed to take the gloss off and I'll call it good.  Moving on to upper deck supports (I think).

post-5790-0-83539500-1378487297_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Freddy.  I've since prepared to glue the next two deck sections in place but I have to trim the quarterdeck pieces...too wide just yet.  Last chance today to make any progress...having fun while I can :)

I'm out of the shop for at least a week while I get my brain rearranged by the neurosurgeons. I'll try to follow along with you all while i'm laid up as best can but hospitals up here don't feature wifi.

Cheers!

Bill

• 1 month later...

Hello Bill,

I hope everything went well with the surgery and that you're recovering well.

Today is your birthday, I'm not only wishing you a happy birthday today, but also a speedy and full recovery.

Hope to see you back in the shipyard soon.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

• 2 months later...

Hi guys I've just been given one of these kits that's had a fair bit done to it so I'm going to be finishing it off. I'm new to model ship building although I've made planes so I have a bit of model making knowledge . I would be greatfull for any advice and tips. If attached a pic to show what's been built so far.

post-9732-0-03153900-1388529174_thumb.jpg