Barrels on the deck - how to store and fast them (fishing schooners)

Hi all,

another maybe trivial question from my site, any help though would be welcome:

Am building the model of Gloucester mackerel seiner "Smuggler". I would like to show some barrels and similar ordnance on the deck. I know for example that barrel with salt would be stored there.  But I was not able to find any reasonable drawing or photo of how would be such an object secured on the deck against the movement during the voyage? Many ship models shows busy decks with simply standing barrels "somewhere" and busy decks look really good, but I doubt anything like that would be just standing there without any fixation. Any idea how to fix standing barrel so it looks realistic?

Thank you!

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Completed: Smuggler

Juhu, I think you first have to decide what size barrel/barrels you want to portray as that's going to have bearing on how that particular size barrel would have been secured on deck, IMHO. 

Hello Keith

thank you, I went through the referenced thread, yet am not sure I have found the answer. I understand that most of the supplies would be stored under anyway. The salt barrel is one that would be probably stored up to be available for a fishing vessel, maybe some fresh water casks too?.

While the reference contains a lot of interesting info on RN barrel sizes and loads, I still cannot figure how would be a barrel fixed on the deck. I doubt the Gloucester fishermen would have any strict rules like Navy, would be surprised if any regulations to be followed existed there, but maybe I am wrong. What I wonder is, how would be relatively unstable thing like barrel, opened at the top, secured safely on the deck during the voyage?

Thank you, Regards

Juraj

Fishermen who spend their lives afloat would figure it out and each solution and the details would vary from boat to boat, man to man and from each type of container. It's contents and intended use would dictate the where. You need to make a decision on contents and intended use to make a good decision on location. Having chased 8" projectile's, a fork lift and hundreds of random items around the decks of rolling modern ships I have learned something about securing for sea. Movement of any kind is the killer, no matter how small it may be, it will grow and if not stopped will break out. However you chose to secure the barrels they must be hard against a structural part of the ship or the lines, straps or chains secured directly to the ship and need to be easily adjusted. Make your choice on the reason for the barrels being there in the first place then secure them for sea where they can be used for their intended purpose or leave them in a box near your work bench.

Juhu

The first photo below is from the US Library of Congress  of the  of the Effie M. Morrisey.   The only thing that looks like  barrel appears to have a line that is likely secured to the bulwarks, thus secure and out of the way.  The second is from the internet where there are a few contemporary  photos if you do a thorough search.  I just Googled fishing schooner photos and scrolled through.  The third is at the wharf and a few barrels are shown, but not likely on deck when underway.  I suspect salt barrels would be below when underway to keep them from getting soaked and possibly leaking water into the salt.  If you find contemporary information on the actual practice it will be an interesting find.  You may also find the following an interesting read.  Two minute search on the internet for "Where did old fishing schooners salt their catch of fish" turned this up.    https://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles/economy/19th-century-cod.php

Allan

Midships.png.0cdfcc683018e3e57e61d3a443c15510.png

254392570_BarrelStowage.jpg.99d4790411c41587cad121da569e456c.jpg

308690262_Deckoffishingschooner.thumb.png.cb6f7c0e8fd88dfc5a4019da03ac004d.png

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 minutes ago, jud said:

Movement of any kind is the killer, no matter how small it may be, it will grow and if not stopped will break out.

Jud, this why I think barrels would have been left below securely lashed. Even if securely lashed would you want a water barrel on deck where it could possibly be contaminated with seawater? Why couldn't buckets of salt be brought up from below as needed?

I commercial fished salmon in Bristol Bay, Alaska as a deckhand on a 32 footer. One stormy day we swapped ends with a single wave and everything not tied down flew overboard including my favorite pick. 

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

I commercial fished salmon in Bristol Bay, Alaska as a deckhand on a 32 footer. One stormy day we swapped ends with a single wave and everything not tied down flew overboard including my favorite pick. 

In 65, I boarded the Cape Race, a 34' King Salmon Troller in Bellingham and rode her to SE Alaska for the fishing season. Took some beatings but enjoyed the whole trip. just the Skipper and myself aboard, Kings weren't biting, jig for Halibut or go deer hunting on an island.1375254786_DIRECTFROMCEARCLICK003.thumb.jpg.ca0afc3e342bd29fd76f3716fa719139.jpg

Thank you for all the hints and advises.

I have searched the net of course, but as also seen here, most of the picture you get are from the moored ships, where the deck is full of various things that would not be there under sails. The hint with the salt or fresh water being rather protected under than exposed atop got the points, I will need to think out. The limited experience from the small recreational yacht led me to this question - as said everything left unattached will fly even under not so hard weather conditions :)

As I was afraid, showing busy deck is eye catching, but under sail it does not have much support in reality.Could not imagine anything heavy and tall just laid on this deck :)

men-on-deck-of-unidentified-fishing-schooner-1929_u-l-q11y85n0.jpg

Indeed, it would have been highly doubtful practice to leave such barrels on deck to be broken up by overcoming seas. Without salt, you may as well sail home.

The only barrel/cask that was often stored on deck, securely fastened in chocks and with lashings, was that for a few days worth of drinking water from which the crew and the kitchen drew. It would be placed in a reasonably protected area.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

This might be a case where you should  visualize a story and then put items on the deck to support it.  This would also affect your decisions regarding sails, anchors, etc.  The idea being that everything “hangs together.”

A couple of ideas:

The Schooner at sea, processing a catch.

Alongside a pier.

It might be difficult to find and get delivered to Estonia but an author with the  name of Albert Cook Church wrote a book titled  American Fishermen back in the 1950’s That is loaded with excellent photographs taken aboard working fishing Schooners.  Look for used copies on online used book sites.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett