Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack by PeteHay - Midwest Products - Small

Inspired and encouraged by Mario, DeeDee and Hexnut I have started my Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack phase 1. Right before MSW went from v1 to v2 I went out and bought this kit along with the Midwest Sakonnet Daysailer. The Daysailer was my first wood boat kit and I learned a lot.

I have since purchased a second Smack kit hence the phase 1/phase 2 reference. Following Mario's build as a primer I am currently building Smack #1 pretty much straight out of the box. I did plank the deck and floor with HO scale 2x10's from Northeastern Scale Lumber Co. and was very pleased with the results. I started the build over the Fourth of July weekend and thought the red, white, and blue color scheme was called for.

I hope to follow this build with a totally bashed version a'la DeeDee but let's get this one built first.

I have attached iPad Picts of where I am now with the build.

Glad to join the Smack club.

Pete

post-274-0-49668100-1375767003_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-00608500-1375767030_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-16178200-1375767047_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-40797200-1375767067_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-76207500-1375767082_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-00426000-1375767097_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-71629900-1375767115_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-28546700-1375767146_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-22787300-1375767160_thumb.jpg

Edited by petehay

Hi Pete,

great start. Thanks for the info on the decking. that was going to be my first question. it really looks great. Red, white, and blue. Another great idea.....! There are so many variations of day sailers I may to build another one for the fun...

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Nice hull to what I'm sure will be a fine boat. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that the weather here in Portland is starting to turn it's time to get back to the model boatyard. Over the rainy weekend I installed the toe rails, trail boards and the upper & lower molding. The stars on the trail boards are little sequins that I picked up at Michaels. I found the moldings to be particularly tedious to get right (and not get glue all over everything).

Pete

post-274-0-84771900-1380603879_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-56738800-1380603897_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-81007300-1380603912_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-72271000-1380603930_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-51443400-1380603948_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-99891900-1380603966_thumb.jpg

post-274-0-36681600-1380603979_thumb.jpg

It's so nice watching this lovely little boat go together.

bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

The Midwest Products Skipjack kit I have calls for anti-fouling red and assume the lobster smack calls for the same but I don't have access to the Midwest Apprentice boat paints. What color in Testors brand would be close to the anti-fouling red? I just ordered this lobster smack myself and it won't be delivered for several more days but I'd like to round up the paints and supplies I need to get ready for the build.

Shawn

Charles City, Iowa

Albatroscon80702_zps103cfe83.jpg  2-MidwestProductsSkipjackSmall_zps02b8cc Smallsakonnetdaysailer.jpg

Looks great! I should really get my act together and do some more on mine...

I did take a shot of a friendship sloop up in Essex, MA, good view of the rudder shape and gudgeons, (ignore the power conversion...)

post-964-0-79089900-1380909100_thumb.jpg

I don't know if you've done the rudder yet, but I know I was looking for info on it for a while...

Looks great Pete, I have to get mine going again, I'm almost at the exact same stage.  How did the 1/32 siding boards handle?  Mine broke pretty quick, I resorted to a thicker strip of basswood.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Shawn - I have not used Testors paint on anything other than plastic. I have used Tamiya acrylic model paint and they do have a "Hull Red" color. On the Lobster Smack I have used "Americana Acrylics" from Michaels. Very inexpensive and lots of colors. The smack hull is Barn Red & Deep Ultra Blue. I did have to try a couple of whites before I found one that wasn't too yellow. The trick I've found is to thin them with a couple of drops of water to a dime size blob of paint. I used the paint to seal the raw wood (no sanding sealer)

Hexnut - Thanks for the photo. It's exactly the reference I needed.  Rudder should go on this weekend.

Casey - Yes, the 1/32" molding strips were a pain in the rear. I used a spacer block to guide the lower strip as I glued it on. I glued about 2" at a time to keep things lined up.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

looks good, are you doing a smashed version as well ?

Thanks,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Coming along very nicely, Pete! 

Have you seen the plans (admittedly poor resolution) from Chapelle?  I think your rudder design is accurate.

post-18-0-13263500-1381776503_thumb.jpg

There are some nice pictures of a 1:1 build here:

http://apprenticinglandandsea.com/?p=207

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Wayne,

Thank you so much for that link. I visited the Apprenticeshop in Rockland this past summer and often dream of taking their courses to become a real wooden shipwright but at 62 and living on the west coast it will probably remain just a dream.

Pete48,

I hope to do a kit-bashed version of the smack (with a planked hull) that is in the same well worn condition as the image of the boat in hexnut's post above. A real example of a work boat with rust and wear and weather. When I see some of the stuff that the model car guys do to make a rusted beater and the weathering that the model railroad folks display - that's what I aspire to produce with my next attempt at the smack.

Pete

Awesome Pete, I look forward to seeing it, you are doing a great job on this one, Did you run into any problems with the parts not lining up properly ? I am excited to start mine so that I may add it to the Lobster Smack Regatta ( its fun to see all the other people who have done the same boat) I have seen alot of great detail I was thinking of adding working Navagation lights ( they have them that flicker to give you that oil lamp look) Have you seen them ? I figured I could put all the wiring and battery in the fish wells. Small 3 volt system. I will be following your Build Looks really good.

Best Regards,

Pete

Edited by pete48

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

• 4 weeks later...

I keep going back to look again at the boat.  Love the colors and the beautiful wood finish. 

Bob

Any ideas for the Samson post? The kit provides a pretty simple one. Your boat is looking good. You doing sails too?

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

Hey, Pete.  Your lobster smack is looking real good. You have come along ways grasshopper... Hope to see you at a meeting.

Steve

Zipper hydroplane(Miss Mabel ) finished

John Cudahy  Scratch build 1/4" scale Steam Tug

1914 Steam Tug Scratch build from HAMMS plans

1820 Pinky  "Eagle" Scratch build from; American Ships Their Plans and History

Here's a few...

post-964-0-29776800-1384352403.jpgpost-964-0-78292600-1384352413_thumb.jpgpost-964-0-28226500-1384352427_thumb.jpgpost-964-0-09876700-1384352446_thumb.jpgpost-964-0-52126200-1384352457_thumb.jpg

post-964-0-74088500-1384353070_thumb.jpg

A lot of these boats seem to have cranked the bobstays to the point of giving the bowsprit a "banana" shape, so the samson post needs to do a good job of preventing the bowsprit from moving back along the deck.  Top pic looks like an English Cutter w/ offset bowsprit, just for comparison purposes.  Alot of British workboats seem to pivot the bowsprit on the post but that feature seems more rare among American boats...The last photo is of an amazing Eric Ronnberg jr. model of a Friendship sloop called little Hattie--his models are usually better detailed than most real sailing craft...

Edited by hexnut

No clue about the Samson post. I was hoping everyone would toss out some ideas, which hexnut provided some cool pics. Really like how you attached the rudder, looks great!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift