New guy

zeno67

Hello everyone. So I am new to wooden ship building. I have done some plastic modeling in the past. I am also somewhat of a woodworker having completed such projects as a cedar lined hope chest, sofa table and china hutch. So I do have woodworking experience but not at the small detailed level of wooden ship modeling. I purchased two Artesania Latina kits to start with. I had planned on building the Providence Whaling Boat first since it is a beginner kit and a pretty simple boat, however, after reading some opinions on it I decided to go with the Artesania Latina Marie Jeanne tuna fishing boat first. I know its more intermediate and definitely more detail and work, and about the biggest reason for people quitting the hobby and not finishing a boat, is aiming to high, but I think with my current woodworking skills and plastic model experience and the help of these forums, I will be able to manage. I am just drawn more to this model. Its got great lines and and is pleasing to look at.

A little about myself. I am 54 and live in Florida. Been married 21 years but we have no kids (are you kidding, that is why I can afford hobbies like this :D). I work for Apple and my wife owns a dog grooming shop. I was a combat medic in the US Navy and served with a Marine Rifle Platoon in the Middle East back during the first Gulf War and Operation Desert Storm. However, being in the navy I did spend some time aboard ship during my stint and developed a love of the water and all kind of ships and boats from wooden viking vessels to the great battleships of WWII. I have owned a few smaller sailing boats in the 20 to 30 foot (that's 6 to 9 meters) range and a Hobie Cat at one time. I do consider myself a non-violent pirate :piratetongueor4: at this  point in my life. I finally grew up to be what I wanted to be.

I also consider myself an amateur military historian and have dabbled in miniatures painting and diorama building. I love to discuss anything related to military history so if you ever have any questions in that particular regard or just want to debate something related, hit me up!

I am looking forward to interacting with all the great modelers here on the forums and hopefully become addicted to the hobby and  become a regular poster and contributor.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

Oh and I will start a build log on my first project soon

Jim

Welcome to MSW, Jim.   Building a model you are really drawn to is important, especially for a first build.  I hope you have some fun and enjoy it and the future journeys into model ships.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jim, welcome to MSW. I look forward to seeing your Marie Jeanne build. Thank you for your service. 

Edited by Keith Black

Hi Jim, welcome aboard. Navy man here also. Lots of sea-going nautical jargon as well (what else). You’ve come to the right place for all your novice building advice and help (me too). Don’t be shy asking questions! 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models