Bluenose by Arthur Goulart - Model Shipways - 1:64

Alright, time for ya'll to follow my struggle.

The Modelshipways Bluenose will be my first ship model, I got the kit pretty cheap - $90,00ish - on the "Help us Move" sales Modelexpo just had. Huge model for a begginer, but since I live in Brazil, and it takes around two months for anything, really, to get here, I figured that I would get the big ship and double up on research time.

So the kit arrived and, naturally, I have some noob questions that I'd like to ask you gentlemen.

Dowels, regarding those.

None of them are perfectly straight but then there is this one:

image.thumb.jpeg.446a86b0bee5030e63284b6c8325a97c.jpeg

Would it work to heat it up and straighten it, as you do with planking? Or would the wood eventually warp on me again, and thus I should contact Modelexpo for a replacement?

Also, my kit came with two different types of wood for masts and yards - basswood and green vietnamese stuff-, which I'm not too fond of, I'd like to keep it consistent. The basswood, as I understand, isn't the best for masts and yards, due to its softness. So I might be looking into getting some nicer wood for that. 

As for the green vietnamese stuff. What is it? It feels light, it's fairly small grained, it's pretty consistent, it's kinda green, and it's "from vietnam" labeled:

image.jpeg.fdcc55bc824c11566d86042721a4dbd1.jpeg

Last question: I have some Mr. Hobby lacquer paints at hand, are there any cons to using those on wood instead of acrylics? Lacquers seem to be often used as clear coats over wood, but better ask, they're much more agressive than acrylics.

Afraid to screw up the big expensive ship, I decided to get my first taste of wood modelling with the dories. Overall, I'm pretty happy on how it's been going, even though the by the manual method of building them is hopeless. The jig Modelshipways provides is too fiddly, and there is no way, no way, the thin wood frames would hold the boat to it's proper shape, as per suggested. I won't elaborate further, getting you to propper understand the problems with the kit's dories would take a lot of text and some images, and I don't think you guys are interested in that. Rather, I'll show you what I'm currently doing about it:

image.thumb.jpeg.02a0263f64db641c0c8beb715bd0237c.jpeg

These are the leftover of the laser cut pieces for the jig that should be used to get the dories to their correct shape. I've cut off the jig's "footprint" from the waste portion of the laser cut sheet provided by the kit, if that makes sense". Now I'm converting those "footprint" pieces into a small POB model, I'm making my own keel and bulkheads. Then, i'll add some filler blocks, make the boat a solid piece of wood, and use it as a template for constructing the dories. I'm currently aligning evrything up and shaping the boat's top.

That's it for now.

I look forward to learning a lot from you!

Cheers!

Arthur, first of all - A Warm Welcome to MSW!
I am glad you got the Bluenose as a starter.

Yes the dowels for the mast and booms are a disaster in the kit.

Mine was badly warped as well - and today again - I went to my hardware store and got some straight dowels. This to start all over again with the masts.

As for the Bluenose herself, I would suggest to get going with her before attacking the dories.

This will give you the skills to handle the smaller and more delicate items in the kit.

However I am looking forward to see your progress, and if you have questions - don't hesitate to ask! 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

On 4/14/2022 at 1:21 AM, Nirvana said:

Arthur, first of all - A Warm Welcome to MSW!
I am glad you got the Bluenose as a starter.

Yes the dowels for the mast and booms are a disaster in the kit.

Mine was badly warped as well - and today again - I went to my hardware store and got some straight dowels. This to start all over again with the masts.

As for the Bluenose herself, I would suggest to get going with her before attacking the dories.

This will give you the skills to handle the smaller and more delicate items in the kit.

However I am looking forward to see your progress, and if you have questions - don't hesitate to ask! 

Thank you for the welcoming Dr. Per! 

I'm pretty excited to be here, builds as yours and Retired Guy's will be of huge help to my own. Not to mention the various tecniques, products, research, crazy well built models displayed here. I've been following Model Ship World for a while, I found the forum through Chuck's work, and well, it's a great community, by what I've seen, very helpful and willing to share, it was about time I joined.

I've actually started the Bluenose itself today. I got the keel pieces off the sheet, checked with the plans, and... They don't match up. Some of the bulkhead slots are offset. The keel pieces actually don't even match up with eachother, the back piece doesn't fit properly with the middle piece, the fit is loose and the back piece is wider. So, I've got some figuring out to do. 

I'll keep you updated of my progress, and questions, ohhhh, I'll be asking many of those. 😄

Arthur, don't stress and push to get things done.

Here is very example to stop,don't glue anything into place. Take pictures for us to look at so we can help.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

If you haven't already found it, the build log by GenericDave is an excellent reference. The complete version is on his external website, SuburbanShipModeler.

As you stumble along, remember the inspiring words of Homer Simpson: "Trying is the first step towards failure". :)

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

Arthur, wishing you the best on your first steps into the world of wooden ship modeling. Building model ships is a lot like bird photography, it requires a tremendous amount of patience and never giving up. 

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Arthur, wishing you the best on your first steps into the world of wooden ship modeling. Building model ships is a lot like bird photography, it requires a tremendous amount of patience and never giving up. 

Keith, that was a real good one. Specially regarding bird photography.
Patience, waiting and never give up! 

Respectfully

On 4/15/2022 at 8:08 AM, wool132 said:

If you haven't already found it, the build log by GenericDave is an excellent reference. The complete version is on his external website, SuburbanShipModeler.

As you stumble along, remember the inspiring words of Homer Simpson: "Trying is the first step towards failure". :)

Jonathan

Oh yes, I've found it! It's a very well written and well illustrated series of articles. Gary Brinker's youtube videos are also a great resource, I just wish they were higher resolution. I appreciate the tip and the wise Homer Simpson words! 🤣

13 hours ago, Keith Black said:

I love that comparison, hopefully them birds have taught be something. Come to think about, it is probably no coincidente that I'm interested in both these fields.

Hi Arthur did write a reply to your question on my Bluenose hope you saw it and here are some more tips.

I read the instruction manual and went with the stages, they are very clear and I had no issues.

Make sure you add the reference line to the Keel pieces also the bearding line,  and then add reference line to all the bulkheads ( this will help to see if you need to adjust any height issues) and at the same time trace and mark all bulkheads with side bevel on both sides and then sand these before installing this really does help down the road.

6lk1Va.jpg

86gmkq.jpg

These are all the tracings I did

DL88hj.jpg

You can see the reference lines in this picture

YWgfFN.jpg

Hope this helps and have fun 

Regards

Richard

On 4/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, Retired guy said:

Hi Arthur did write a reply to your question on my Bluenose hope you saw it and here are some more tips.

I read the instruction manual and went with the stages, they are very clear and I had no issues.

Make sure you add the reference line to the Keel pieces also the bearding line,  and then add reference line to all the bulkheads ( this will help to see if you need to adjust any height issues) and at the same time trace and mark all bulkheads with side bevel on both sides and then sand these before installing this really does help down the road.

6lk1Va.jpg

86gmkq.jpg

These are all the tracings I did

DL88hj.jpg

You can see the reference lines in this picture

YWgfFN.jpg

Hope this helps and have fun 

Regards

Richard

Thanks for the tips, Richard, on both threads!

Good that you mentioned beveling the bulkheads before  installing them. I was planning on marking the bevel lines, but only sanding after installing all the bulkheads, is there any disadvantage to this approach?

There is no disadvantage, but if you bevel bulkheads it's a lot easier to do before installing / gluing and you can see them line up with the bearding line while being flush with keel in the middle

rO9k9K.jpg

P0Yjbm.jpg

qGH8zq.jpg

Also it gives you indication that a bulkhead is out, did have to add thin strips to build up 

U7Q62F.jpg

Best regards

Richard

Hi Arthur

I also just purchased this kit and it was as delivered today.  I opened it up immediately to look at the dowels and it seems that all of them are basswood, none were warped.  I’d suggest you ask Model Shipways to replace yours.

Good luck with your build, I look forward to following along though I don’t expect to start my Bluenose until next fall.

My first model was the Bluenose II (AL) almost 30 years ago and it was a perfect first kit to start with.

Regards from Nova Scotia where we can  never have too many Bluenoses😉