Cutty Sark(Revell 1:96) rigging confusion

I have just located this forum and am through building this plastic Revell 1:96 plastic kit

It is my first build.

I am puzzled by the pin numbers on the attached diagram.

Sail9: where does the bottom right fixing go to?

On main diagram - cord 96  ties to pulley top right of sail 10

However on detail closeup on same page it fastens to pulley on platform.

Sorry I am new to this and do not know the names of parts of ship where sails and poles are concerned.(teach me)

Furthermore on main diagram - cord from (109) goes to pulley on mast then down to pin 92.

On detail in manual rope 92 appears out of space to pulley at top of sail (10) on mast.

The manual is ever so confusing.

I would be thankful for any feedback

Thank You,

Terry

Image1.jpg

1 hour ago, Terry Foster said:

I have just located this forum and am through building this plastic Revell 1:96 plastic kit

It is my first build.

I am puzzled by the pin numbers on the attached diagram.

Sail9: where does the bottom right fixing go to?

On main diagram - cord 96  ties to pulley top right of sail 10

However on detail closeup on same page it fastens to pulley on platform.

Sorry I am new to this and do not know the names of parts of ship where sails and poles are concerned.(teach me)

Furthermore on main diagram - cord from (109) goes to pulley on mast then down to pin 92.

On detail in manual rope 92 appears out of space to pulley at top of sail (10) on mast.

The manual is ever so confusing.

I would be thankful for any feedback

Thank You,

Terry

Image1.jpg

I am building the same kit. I haven't come to the rigging yet, but I am planning for it.  I have several sources for rigging clipper ships that I am reading. I think it is good to know your subject before going ahead and trying it.  My references say that most clippers were rigged basically the same. Sailing ship rigging has a definite purpose for each type of rig. 

My suggestion is to get some references about rigging clipper ships and understand the purpose of each line, then you can decide for yourself where each line starts and ends.

I know when it comes time for me to rig my model, I will have every source I can read and understand why and where each line goes.

Royal Museums Greenwich of which the actual Cutty Sark is a part, has rigging plans of Cutty Sark for as little as 8 pounds Sterling.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

As far as I can tell, the inset is more correct.

Line 92 is the inhaul for sail 10, attached to the top corner of the sail through the block at the base of the gaff and down to the pin rail aft of the mast.

Line 94 is the down haul for sail 8, attached to the lower forward corner of sail through one of the blocks at the mast cap, down through the top platform on the port side and belay to the pin rail forward of the mast.

Line 95 is the peak halyard for the gaff of sail 10, attached to the end of the gaff through the other block at the mast cap then down through the top platform and belay to the pin rail forward of the mast.

Line 96 is the downhaul for sail 9, attached to the lower forward corner of sail 9 then through the block at the back edge of the top platform then down to the pin rail forward of the mast.

Line 109 is the sheet for sail 10, attached to the lower aft corner of sail 10 and then belay directly to the pin rail on the port side. Perhaps for this line the diagram is calling for you to lead line 109 through both lower corners of the sail 10, the forward part through the block at the lower forward corner of the sail and then to pin 92, but this part does not make much sense to me.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Terry, welcome to MSW. You should introduce yourself in a new member introduction post where we all have a chance to meet you. See the below.

• 1 year later...

Thore, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard. Put "Cutty Sark" in the search box and go through the numerous Cutty Sark build logs, I'm sure you find answers to all your questions. 

• 9 months later...