Norwegian Sailing Pram by Eric S. - Model Shipways - 1:12

I broke the mast step and noticed others have had this happen as well.  I built a new one from a solid piece of scrap wood and have a couple of questions.

• Should I err on having the mast hole slightly too large or too small?  I don’t seem to have a drill bit exactly the right size.
  • The step sits inclining upwards - should the drilled hole also have a slight tilt so the mast is straight up and down?
  • As others have noted, both mast step pieces have holes.  Is a solid bottom piece needed or does setting the mast on the hull work?  Seems like the extra distance to the hull would stabilize the setup a bit.

Thanks for any suggestions.

D782D5E0-2C4D-4C98-81FA-16DDD6C6CB5B.jpeg

7E0717ED-0C08-4D85-A687-37BF41378EE2.jpeg

Looks good! I broke the mast step also. It looks like the one you made has the grain running lengthwise, that should be stronger.  On mine, I forgot the bottom closure piece and rested the mast on the hull (I just took it out of the case to look). But I did that because I'd already glued in the step. If you haven't, it would not be much trouble to add the closure. 

Hi Eric! Gret start on the Sailing Pran!  This was my first build!  In looking at my mast, it is "almost" vertical to the waterline, if not just slightly tilted toward the stern.  Regarding your mast step holes being too large or too small, I'd give you a Goldilocks answer and say "make it just right".  I know, lousy answer... As I recall, I shaped my mast a bit too much on the Sailing Pran, and had to do some fill.  Rather than a drill at this point, I'd use some round files to fine-tune the diameter of the hole so your mast fits snuggly.  The fore stay and back stays will help secure more firmly once you get to that point, but a nice firm base will certainly help.  And, as I recall, and I glanced at my finished Pran again, it appears my mast is sitting against the hull.  I don't recall seeing a bottom 2nd piece.  Hmmm...  

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Hole too large? Insert a toothpick (pared down to fit) along side the mast.
Too small? Twirl the mast between some sandpaper to shave it down.

Just right? None of the above 🙂.

My mast rested on the hull though I don’t think it matters all that much. I mean, how much vertical force can there be to warrant the extra support?

As I recall, the instructions said that either straight up and down or having an aft tilt is okay. With that in mind, I just made sure that the mast wasn’t tilted forward.

Lookin’ good so far!

Jonathan

Edited by wool132

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

• 1 year later...

Shortly after my last post I broke one of the floor boards while sanding and couldn’t get the rudder/ gudgeon/ pintles to work and got frustrated and set the model aside for a while.  Built an rc car kit and a couple plastic planes and came back to this earlier this summer.  Crafted a new floorboard and soldered the rudder assembly together and am back on track. 

IMG_0828.jpeg

IMG_0829.jpeg

IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0901.jpeg

Pintiles look great now, Eric! I recall having issues fitting those darn things correctly, as well.  

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin