Help with slack rigging

I have just completed all of the standing rigging on my Corel Mystique and started the running rigging. I made sure all the standing rigging was tawt. but this morning I noticed that almost all of the rigging I had done was really slack and I have absolutely no idea why... 

ANY advice or suggestions on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, 

Trevor

The rigging cord you used was probably Cotton. Moisture will make it sag. Did it rain near you recently? Also Cotton will relax/loosen after rigging so It needs to be rigged fairly tight.

Another culprit could be that some of your siezings got loose.

Edited by BenD

Hi, Trevor.

First piece of advice is to give your topic a title that accurately represents its content. "SOS!!" is a teaser title that many of our members will simply skip over -- which probably isn't what you want. I have fixed your title for you.

I'm not an expert on rigging, but I can bet that our more knowledgeable members will want to know at least three things:

1. What kind of material is your rigging line made of (e.g. linen or polyester)?
  2. Did you pre-stretch it?
  3. Do you live and/or work in a humid environment?

I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can give you some concrete suggestions.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Hi Trevor,

I just saw your model on your other topic regarding the Misticque. Again, a beautiful looking model!

Pretty well all of the standing rigging is set up with deadeyes or some kind of tackle.

I find that it's often best to set up the tackles, but to not secure them until later in the build, to give the rigging line time to stretch, as Chris mentioned – to relax, as it were. Sounds like it's done just that, and it may be necessary to re-rig those tackles.

But, that can be done without having to re-do the shrouds and stays themselves, though it may mess with the evenness of your ratlines.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

The area I live in goes from 0% humidity in summer to 100% in winter.   With cotton thread I learned after my first rigged model to "pain" the ropes with a mix of 50/50 water and white glue during the dry season.  Once that dries, humidity doesn't affect it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Even here in Arizona with very low humidity rigging can sag during our Monsoon season (rainy season). What I learned to do is let the line stretch  out, I hang mine with a light weight on the end. As well as a 50/50 coating of water and white glue. Seems to work for me.

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.