Hello from Saskatchewan

50AF3FF1-6C5C-4495-A56A-F95B3C7F24E3.thumb.jpeg.1fc9122d7a2aec42b77ce36f62e7a064.jpegHi good day my name is Shane Parker from. Saskatchewan Canada eh and I own a real life size wood fishing boat it’s the first boat I ever drove actually it’s a 1957 sprinter made buy the north American canoe company it’s 16 ft long and made from mahogany hardwood strips but that’s not what brought me hear and after much reading I still am not sure if this is where I post my info or question so I came across a boat it’s old with lots of guns and details it may need a bit of work or maybe it was made to looks like it was In a bad storm there is only one word at the back it says king George and very well painted but I can’t find any boat that looks like this from a king George thers one close to it kinda with a Prince George so if anyone know more pleas let me know good or bad or both oh yes I found it beside a garbag can 

00C6C468-61B4-4A5B-95DD-975FFC27B0CF.jpeg

42B58653-8107-40CE-B474-3E8F02A29FD8.jpeg

8CD3DA97-747B-4F7A-9D8D-3D8B75345351.jpeg

CF1BF627-0C7E-4688-95B3-D0C29F33FB57.jpeg

F2978570-9117-4104-AAF5-FFB1E4828CCC.jpeg

416D7165-4CB1-45AB-80CA-118A37D53694.jpeg

67BA4CF0-43AC-4D5D-A553-398433606994.jpeg

Hi Shane,

What can I say but WOW - just WOW!

Your model looks to have been made around the turn of the 20th century. It's of a kind of ship usually known as a pre-Dreadnought. It's not an accurate model, but it's a real collector's item. It does look a little like the Prince George; it's certainly nothing like the King George V.

It obviously needs (gentle!) cleaning, and repair. If you put the word "restoration" or "restoring" in the search bar (top right of this page) you'll find some old neglected models which have been cleaned up and restored to their former glory. I believe this one deserves the same treatment.

If you're considering restoring this beautiful and historic model, a log posted in Build Logs for Scratch Projects with the tag "restoration" added would be appropriate. There'll be a lot of people on MSW fascinated by this model. It's a real find!

Steven 

Hi, Shane.

First word of advice is don't do anything to this model until you have had a knowledgeable maritime art dealer assess it. These things can have some collector's value depending on their age and provenance, and the patina of age may even be a desirable characteristic.

The subject appears to be a bit fanciful. The ship has the masts and secondary battery of a pre-Dreadnought, but the American Civil War had demonstrated the superiority of turret-mounted main batteries, and casemate-mounted main guns were largely a thing of the past by the mid-1870s. AFAIK, all British pre-Dreadnoughts carried their main armament in turrets.

Have fun unraveling this mystery!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Hey guys thanks for the reply and all the information I’m really glad to have posted it hear and signed up after much reading I want sure the best place to post so I hope I got it a bit close lol but more I read the more I learned and kept looking at my boat thinking your not just cheep knock off lots of really good info on your forms I really enjoyed rolling through it and Appreciate any and all knowledge and information I have gotten and where to go and how to get there on this sight though I may have to Google a few terms used in the reply’s but It definitely gives me a good starting point that all being said I did give it a gentle cleaning it was it’s pretty bad and I had to get my wife to let me bring it in the house I hope I didn’t depreciate it in anyway will post pics as well. was thinking if it was a big deal I could just flip the boat around that way the other Side is pointing out ha ha ha lol jk so also I am going to guess you guys think it may be a scratch build I was thinking that when I first looked at it and I am curious as just an idea of what something like this could fetch as a price say on a good day bad day kinda scale just for my own idea and my wife Well let me keep it jk she’s got lots of patients… she’s a nurse thanks agin from Saskatchewan big cheers 

39CACF11-1998-4749-B39B-46C11A211FFA.png

FA8F6124-B39D-42AC-BD47-00DA9A360DA7.png

FF58480C-693F-4F21-BB23-BC736D1EF993.png

637FF65F-2945-4B67-AA2D-DBA4AC7C8C70.png

A3BD6AB2-05C7-471A-B5D0-D4B9BEAE9EE7.png

3BA68923-6A43-46A2-A046-590A35B17DE6.png

0FF45510-6929-4279-ADA4-51BB93713854.png

10AFD6AD-B000-4AC2-8078-22FC32221840.png

6364366D-92A3-4FBB-942C-3BB609EDC4AB.png

EC8C9A2B-8645-4050-A506-5A05D9F62DC9.png

E948BD04-96F9-4911-9DCB-42B48D10CF93.png

384E358D-4266-4916-BD9A-62C8DF213A74.png

34C0C853-8DB6-4689-BD6B-913EDBBB1E24.png

16 minutes ago, Parker4120 said:

I am curious as just an idea of what something like this could fetch as a price say on a good day bad day kinda scale

This is why you need to have a maritime gallery assess it, not a random model builder. The price range can vary considerably depending on the type of model, age, and condition. What you need to do is take a good set of photos and then Google search for "maritime art gallery"; one or more of them may be able to give you a preliminary assessment based on your photos, but to firm it up they would probably want to lay eyes on it. Tell them you have a ship shadow box diorama.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Parker, welcome to MSW. What a great trash can find. Most collectors would rather purchase an item in "as found" condition so go easy on cleaning till you've had a chance to have the model properly evaluated. Best of luck. 

Hi thanks for the tip I didn’t clean to much I just had to make the wife happy lol so I could bring it in he house hahah and i bin looking I sent a few emails out but Keep getting the same response (this I out of our Expertise ) also was wondering if I could reword my question on what something like this could fetch on a good day bad day kinda scale and I was gong to ask if you guys like anyone who reads this post feel free to let. Me know but with all the knowledge and wood ship experience if you seen something like this at a garage sale or pawn shop or boat SHow or anywhere really what a price you would be willing or expecting to pay for misery boat such as mine In as is condition and not knowing anything about it…. Don’t worry I’m not trying to sell you a ship and you can’t hurt my feeling I’m just curious for my own knowledge just incase one pops up some where and I don’t sell this one for 50$ Thanks again and hope everyone is having a good week

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That's a cheap answer but probably the best answer unless you have it professional appraised. If your goal is to sell it, let the market decide what it's worth. Stick it on eBay and let the ponies run. 

Welcome aboard good Sir!  (From another Canuck!)

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area.