Rigging on HMS Beagle by Occre

RossR

I am working on the rigging of my HMS Beagle from Occre.  It is my first model ship.  The rigging instructions show some belay pins having two different lines attached to them.  Is this correct?   I am a little worried about whether there is enough pin on the bottom of the pin rail for the extra material.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

19 minutes ago, RossR said:

I am working on the rigging of my HMS Beagle from Occre. ... I am a little worried about whether there is enough pin on the bottom of the pin rail for the extra material.  

I use a simple cheat for this which makes life easier:

You don't use the pin like you would in real life, instead you thread the line through the hole in the pin board from the top. And again. Then fix it with the peg. This is then adjustable (and you will need to square everything up at the finish). When you are happy with everything you can then glue in the peg and trim the line. Finally fix a hank of line over the peg and set it in a realistic shape with glue and it looks fine. Nobody will see the difference.

I have to tell you that the OcCre pin diagram and the Anatomy of the Ship diagram are rather different (and there are more lines in reality than in the kit) so really don't worry too much, it will still look great :) !

Thanks.  I appreciate the insight and I like the idea of going through the hole.  It has occurred to me as I am struggling to wrap the line around the belay pin in a very tight space that nobody will see it after the hank is attached.

My pins are already glued in, so I will suffer through on this model but use this tip on my next one.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

Hi Ross

There are a number of posts on belaying lines here at MSW that should be of some help.  The method OllieS describes is indeed a good one for your next model, but do a search here at MSW and you should find a number of posts on other methods that have succeeded.   

16 hours ago, OllieS said:

the OcCre pin diagram and the Anatomy of the Ship diagram are rather different

The AOS series is really good and would serve you well to get a copy.  Not all kits are created equal, so research using contemporary based sources is always a good idea before putting glue anywhere.   For example, the diameter of the handle of the pin should be about 1.25" to 1.5" or in your case if 1:60 about 0.02" (0.6mm)   Are the pins in your kit that size?   If they are larger in diameter that may be why you cannot easily belay the lines. 

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU