Providence by Janelle - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:25 - Whaleboat

Late to the website, but practicing with posting my first build done three years ago...

Decades ago I built model airplanes (plastic) and had good eyesight, steady hands and a knack for detail. Fast forward and I have so-so eyesight, a tremor and a desire to be as detailed as I can within my limitations.

I love small wooden boats, whaleboats in particular, so I picked up a kit off the internet in 2019. Little did I know that it would take over my discretionary income...

Photos from the first few weeks will appear if I figure out the interface.

Janelle

IMG_2840 (1).HEIC IMG_2841 (1).HEIC IMG_2844.HEIC

Final six months of the build. 

Had to make several repairs of broken planking while I learned to bend planks, patchwork obvious in photos above.

Directions were less than stellar, but I was able to figure most of it out, several times after "ungluing" and restarting.

Overall I don't think it's too bad for a first ever kit build.

Moved on to dinghy, skiff, and dory and now circling back to try and complete a "Morgans Whaleboat" by Artesania Latina. Directions are long on words, short on diagrams.

Looking to find more realistic sails than the burlap provided in the kit.

providence WB(7).jpg

providence WB(8).jpg

providence WB(9).jpg

providence WB(10).jpg

providence WB(11).jpg

providence WB(12).jpg

:piratebo5:wow That looks really cool and great details to, I am just learning how to plank as well, my first model I used an iron to  bend the planks then I got an electric  plank bender it works really well for me. A little heat and they start to bend.

That is some nice work.:10_1_10:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

29 minutes ago, Knocklouder said:

:piratebo5:wow That looks really cool and great details to, I am just learning how to plank as well, my first model I used an iron to  bend the planks then I got an electric  plank bender it works really well for me. A little heat and they start to bend.

That is some nice work.:10_1_10:

thank you for your kind words... I am now using a plank bender as well and it works much better than the crimper tool I had...

Very nice Janelle! If you get a chance, check out Tom Lauria on YouTube. He is a master model builder and has a series of videos on how to build a whaleboat from scratch. I learned a lot watching them.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

• 4 weeks later...