HMS Beagle by Capella - OcCre - 2nd build

Hi Capella, unlike Chimp, I sanded my first planking flush to the keel, and it looked great!  The only thing is that there is a small gap underneath the bow's decoration but nearly unoticeable.

17052875109736651289376302198905.thumb.jpg.c0761c4935679db85e05621d30d4d710.jpg

The decision is yours.

Cheers, Patrick B

Hi Capella,  Looking back at my build it looks like the keel was recessed at the bow but was then level (or even slightly proud) along the bottom.  See photos:

image.png.cd5ece5893a4256c3c0436a814fa66ee.pngimage.png.f86a0adddd86b65516879a2080523b35.png

To be honest, I don't think it really matters as long as the keel is firmly attached to the false keel and the second planking is fitted up to it.  The important issue is that the hull is smooth along it's length.  So where I said about extending the first planking or using filler where it steps (where you circled), this needs to be smooth.  You could build up the shorter planks with wood or filler, just a single piece of scrap wood is required:

image.png.4844691b16c553370eb8fa1c7a1cae93.png

Or you could smooth down the longer planks to match the shorter ones.  It doesn't really matter which way you choose :) 

Remember, the first planking is just a base for the second planking.  It doesn't need to look nice but it's shape and profile is important. 

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I last posted an update, but as you'll see, I have not been idle on my ship!

In my last post I had finished laying the first layer planks and smeared the hull with wood filler. Well, I've made quite a bit of progress since then:
20240210_082754.thumb.jpg.7ae267ee5a0c34c480efe982fd30fe80.jpg20240210_082805.thumb.jpg.5b051b3c19c94415eba7387111e8a1be.jpg
image.thumb.jpeg.33756e13762f6d072ecbea5a536e063a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.be454fedf6e9281cfba43d9a8f5f3587.jpeg

These pictures were taken after I had finished final sanding of the 2nd layer.

You may have noticed in the 1st and 4th pictures the "blemish" near the forward keel of the port1` hull. The light part is planking from the 1st layer showing. I don't remember how exactly that happened, but it was exposed during my 2nd pass on sanding. Unfortunately, I don't recall in which thread I saw it, but I remembered coming across a post here at the MSW forums in which someone explained having a similar situation and he mostly fixed it by mixing sawdust with a bit of glue. Thinking about that, while sanding the hull I kept all of the sawdust. I then mixed a few of drops of PVA glue with a good amount of sawdust. It got pretty pasty, but I thought (hoped, really) it was workable. The mix was kinda gunky while spreading it on the spot, but I made sure to have enough on there to cover it and then some. I gave it a good few hours to dry. 

After re-sanding that area, here's what it looks like now:
image.thumb.jpeg.265802d003260f71b8775547616786ec.jpeg

Not great, but better. If anyone asks, I'll just tell them the ship hit some rocks and they had to repair the hull! 😉

Anywho. That's it for now. Next step is to put a satin finish on the hull and move on.

'Till next time...

First build: US Ranger - Corel

Second build: HMS Beagle - OcCre

On 2/10/2024 at 12:21 PM, Capella said:

It's been a while since I last posted an update, but as you'll see, I have not been idle on my ship!

In my last post I had finished laying the first layer planks and smeared the hull with wood filler. Well, I've made quite a bit of progress since then:
20240210_082754.thumb.jpg.7ae267ee5a0c34c480efe982fd30fe80.jpg20240210_082805.thumb.jpg.5b051b3c19c94415eba7387111e8a1be.jpg
image.thumb.jpeg.33756e13762f6d072ecbea5a536e063a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.be454fedf6e9281cfba43d9a8f5f3587.jpeg

These pictures were taken after I had finished final sanding of the 2nd layer.

You may have noticed in the 1st and 4th pictures the "blemish" near the forward keel of the port1` hull. The light part is planking from the 1st layer showing. I don't remember how exactly that happened, but it was exposed during my 2nd pass on sanding. Unfortunately, I don't recall in which thread I saw it, but I remembered coming across a post here at the MSW forums in which someone explained having a similar situation and he mostly fixed it by mixing sawdust with a bit of glue. Thinking about that, while sanding the hull I kept all of the sawdust. I then mixed a few of drops of PVA glue with a good amount of sawdust. It got pretty pasty, but I thought (hoped, really) it was workable. The mix was kinda gunky while spreading it on the spot, but I made sure to have enough on there to cover it and then some. I gave it a good few hours to dry. 

After re-sanding that area, here's what it looks like now:
image.thumb.jpeg.265802d003260f71b8775547616786ec.jpeg

Not great, but better. If anyone asks, I'll just tell them the ship hit some rocks and they had to repair the hull! 😉

Anywho. That's it for now. Next step is to put a satin finish on the hull and move on.

'Till next time...

Looks great!

Well, as I knew, once I got past the hull, progress would pick up.

I finished the hull and started on the strakes and inside "pretties":

20240215_144015.thumb.jpg.f58549f400064ee89b06f5e8776bf29f.jpg20240215_144000.thumb.jpg.1de32733eae3ca0950410ccc5490d959.jpg

I gotta tell you, cutting those diamond-shaped pieces to all match was a challenge - for me, at least. But, I know they'll be covered up and hidden by a lot of other stuff going on as things get added to the deck and rails.

Currently, I'm painting the hull and rails. I'll probably post updates on that this weekend.

Until then...

Capella

Hi, All

No update to post yet. I've made more progress so far this weekend, but I'll post a progress update tomorrow.

One thing I wanted to point out to anyone who hasn't done this build yet: the spacing for the vertical posts (chafing boards, I believe??). I wanted to ensure that the spacing was even along the length of the hull, so I ended up plotting it out on graph paper. Sorry for my crappy writing, but as you can see both forward and aft of the gap in the hull, the two end spaces are 1mm each wider than the spacing for the middle spaces - except for the port, forward section, which turned out to be 2mm longer than the corresponding section on the starboard side. Don't know how that happened, but I just compensated for that by adding 1mm to the two spacings towards the middle from the fore and aft ends on that side.

image.png.d6641c52b23a825ac69202a01d5f0dfd.png

Hope that helps someone.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also, a question to those who have done page "G" in the plans. Specifically, the two pre-formed metal pieces that go on the aft of the ship and have windows on them. Looking very closely at the pics in the guide, the windows themselves look slightly "bluer" than the black surrounding them.

image.thumb.jpeg.96342ab64df7a57daf3e1d83dd73c016.jpeg

I went through a lot of the Beagle build logs here, trying to find others' pics of those - or even any comments about doing those, but I wasn't too successful. I got the Occre paint set for the Beagle and don't seem to have any color that might make the windows slightly lighter, other than just painting them black.

Suggestions on that, anyone? I mean, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if I just ended up painting the windows black and moving on, but I thought I'd check first.

Thanks!

Capella

1 hour ago, Capella said:

I went through a lot of the Beagle build logs here, trying to find others' pics of those - or even any comments about doing those, but I wasn't too successful. I got the Occre paint set for the Beagle and don't seem to have any color that might make the windows slightly lighter, other than just painting them black.

Suggestions on that, anyone? I mean, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if I just ended up painting the windows black and moving on, but I thought I'd check first.

How about mixing a new colour from those you have?  When I did mine I went with a dark blue/green.  I think I should have gone a little lighter though.

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

5 hours ago, The Gimps Chimp said:

How about mixing a new colour from those you have?  When I did mine I went with a dark blue/green.  I think I should have gone a little lighter though.

Chimp

I have been wondering about this myself. I personally don't think the blue can represent anything? Mine are currently black. What do you all think about a more realistic color like light coming through the window?

On 2/16/2024 at 8:12 AM, Capella said:

Well, as I knew, once I got past the hull, progress would pick up.

I finished the hull and started on the strakes and inside "pretties":

20240215_144015.thumb.jpg.f58549f400064ee89b06f5e8776bf29f.jpg20240215_144000.thumb.jpg.1de32733eae3ca0950410ccc5490d959.jpg

I gotta tell you, cutting those diamond-shaped pieces to all match was a challenge - for me, at least. But, I know they'll be covered up and hidden by a lot of other stuff going on as things get added to the deck and rails.

Currently, I'm painting the hull and rails. I'll probably post updates on that this weekend.

Until then...

Capella

Hull is awesome. beautiful planking.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Capella. On the point you raise about the metal parts G11 and G12, these are false quarter galleys, and are just decoration. I don't think they would have actually been glass, but I might be wrong on that. I chose to go with what the replica had done and paint them white.

File:Réplica de HMS Beagle.jpg - Wikipedia

Previous builds: HMS Bounty's Launch (Model Shipways), USS Albatros (OcCre)

Current build: HMS Beagle (OcCre)

Future builds: HMB Endeavour (Caldercraft), De Zeven Provinciën (Kolderstok), HMS Victory (Caldercraft/De Agostini/Artesania Latina/Corel)