O-16 by PacificCrossRoads - Dutch submarine - 3D rendering for kit prototype

Boris,

I strongly doubt that the side panels for the swivel torpedo tube opened the way you show here. From the very few photos of the O16, as far as I have checked, the panels dropped down, just as on O19. It doesn't make sense to pull the panels open against water pressure, with the risk of having them not open at all. By dropping them, the water pressure would help opening them, thus reducing the risk.

Groetjes,

Gino

Boris,

I'd like to suggest  you open a build log for your sub.  It would be fascinating to watch two subs being built and easier to watch two logs than sort through Piet's log. ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi mtaylor. I'm afraid that my new mail will be unavailable lovers Dutch fleet!

If you do not mind! I want to keep the Dutch Subs in this page!

Especially!! I found a lot of friends! :cheers:

Hello PacificCrossRoads,

I'm sorry to say that we do mind.

Other members are reacting on your comments and pictures and you reply to them.

You can't keep posting your own pictures and comments in Piet's log.

That is simply not done and not fair on Piet. It is his buildlog.

You must start a buildlog of your own and post your pictures and progress there.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Regards,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hello Boris,

I like what I see on your O 16 or K XVI sub model!   Is there a chance you start from the beginning so we can follow how you do it.  Unless it's a secret  ;)

Did you understand what I tried to explain to your post on my build log?  It is in regards to the deck launch torpedo launcher opening and side doors.

That would be the only change I recommend you make to the model, if possible.  It may mean lowering the position of the launcher a little and also lowering the bottom sill of the opening a little.

The Google Translator may not translate it all clearly and perhaps you can find an English speaking friend in your area for help  :)  Unless of course you speak, read and understand Dutch  ;)

Cheers,  :cheers:

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hello Boris,

It is looking much better but could be lowered just a little more.  I copied your picture and drew lines as I believe they will then be about correct.

Don't make the part above the deck too high.  On the real boat it could be about 150 to 200 mm above the deck.  On your picture it seems just a very little bit too high. Same amount above deck level as below deck level.

I like the detail of the deck gun and the conning tower, real nice.

Also the cover picture for the box, love it !  Really, really great  :dancetl6:

post-1399-0-95490500-1377565851.jpg

Top edge of opening just a little lower and the bottom edge also a little lower plus a little more to make the opening a little wider.  The launcher must then also be lowered the same amount as the top edge, this will give you a little more clearance below the launcher for the closing doors.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Boris,

Great work, I love the final box picture!

One more thing I noticed though.  I only see three step cut-outs on the side of the conning tower.  There should be four.

I have indicated where the missing step should be on the pic below.  Hope you don't mind.

post-1399-0-52086200-1377653416.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 1 month later...

Hello Boris,

That looks very good, outstanding job my friend.

I hope you don't mind but for the benefit of the members of MSW I like to add some details to this particular boat that fought so gallantly during the first year of WW II against the naval forces of the JIN.  She sunk and damaged quite a few JIN ships during her short war career.  Unfortunately she hit a mine at the end of 1941. 

Here is the record of her last war patrol I copied from the Dutch site WWW.dutchsubmarines.com

"15 Dec 1941 about 02:30 hrs: O 16 is struck by a mine while she is exiting the Gulf of Siam during her homebound voyage to Singapore. The submarine is nearly broken in half and 41 men are lost. Only one crew member, boatswain Cornelis de Wolf, survives. O 16 sailed right into a Japanese line of mines, this line of mines also sunk the submarine K XVII. Because the wreck of the O 16 is regarded as a war grave the exact coordinates of the wreck will not be displayed on this site." 

However, I like to add that the coordinates of the wreck are 3 degrees 10 mins N - 104 degrees 19 mins E.

Here is a picture of the O 16 when docked at the KM Naval base at Den Helder, the Netherlands, before WW II. [[KM stands for Koninklijke Marine and is Royal Navy in English]] 

post-1399-0-70131300-1381454907.jpg

Again my condolences to you and your family for the untimely death of your father. Keep strong my friend.

With kind regards,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow Boris, that looks really good!  I like the detail with the had-holds along the con and the periscope holder.  

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Boris and welcome back from your trip to Poland - - - and congrats on your promotion!  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :cheers:

Wow and a double wow on the progress of your O16 model.  You got the planking on and you did the propellers too - - - and that without the detailed drawings I send via post.  Oh yes, I forgot, I send you the digital pics Remco got for me.  

They may need a little less pitch going towards the tips though.  Check the drawings again.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Boris,

That looks terrific my friend.  I like the detail on the decking.  I dread doing mine, even at a larger scale then yours.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra