Split ring making process

AH100 and Eberhard

With all these small wire sizes, there is no reason to be overscale up to about 1:200 but I cannot imagine making rings at that scale.  With these old eyes, I would want to work under a microscope!!

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

17 hours ago, allanyed said:

Do you know if they make it in smaller diameters?  0.011 is too large for some rings for scales of 1:64 or smaller.  Copper comes in smaller sizes and is easy to solder (soft or silver bearing) and can be blackened with liver of sulfur or painted once cleaned up.

Allan

Forgot I have .010" brass as well, at 1/64 it would be just over 5/8 dia, if I needed anything smaller I would just use some brass wire from a very small electrical cable.

Regards

Richard

Brass in electrical cables? I suppose this is soft copper. Sometimes it is tinned copper, which is good, as it makes the wire stiffer. In fact, one can buy tinned copper wire down to 0.1 mm diameter, but it is quite difficult to find. For certain applications the tinned wire has the added advantage, that one does not need to paint it.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2023 at 6:06 PM, Dave_E said:

it’s the cutting that I’m having issues with.

Use black annealed 24 gauge wire, i prefer Hilmans found on Amazon. A number 61 drill bit is the proper size for a split ring at 1:48 scale, I’m sure there is a 1:64 equivalent. Check out one of my recent Winchelsea posts for how I make them. The requirement for cutting them is a high quality (the normal modelers wire snips or regular wire cutters won’t do) flush cut wire cutter. The best source for these are jewelry making websites like Rio Grande  I like this particular flush cutter found Here on Amazon.

Most cutters smash the wire, these provide a clean cut. Just cut through the spiral of wire a few at a time, there will be a little waste with each first cut, but with a little practice you’ll have just what you need. That same wire can be used to make eyelets, I showed how I do that in my Winchelsea build log as well. 

Here’s the result:

47FA08A4-F972-4A0E-8C01-45570C5F911F.thumb.jpeg.9053d9a5ed9b6f85791e976d80b19a98.jpeg

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose