Using a serving Machine. ( Syren Serv o matic)

DaveBaxt

When serving shrouds, especially the forward one where it  is quite long I am finding eventually the length of serving between the bobin and my left hand ( guiding hand) the thread becomes tangled due to twisting . I have tried the bobbin in both positions ( where the thread comes off the top  and off  bottom) I am also feeding the siezing onto the top of the shroud so I can see what is happening. I have tried removing the bobbin of thread and turning it clockwise and anticlockwise but I am unsure if I am unwinding the thread in the correct direction. Hope this makes sense

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

You may just be holding the thread too tightly as you serve.  Just guide it onto the rope.   I have never seen this happen to anyone before. Its definitely in your technique or the thread you are using to serve with.

Thanks Chuck. I have a feeling it might be something to do with that. I will try again without too much pressure and see if this helps. If not perhaps I could try a different type of serving thread and see if this helps. Best regards Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I would just like to add that I have sorted out this problem and it was nothing to do with the machine. I have been allowing too much line between my hand and the bobbin of thread and allowing it to twist into loops and eventually getting into a tangle. I have since mastered how to use it and quite pleased with the results. keeping the length of line fairly short prevents the above happening so happy days. I just thought I would let Chuck know this. Thank you . Best regards Dave