Spanish Galleon 1607 by Ferrus Manus - FINISHED - Imai - 1/100 - with modified rigging

this is certainly immodest ... but maybe something will come in handy from my experience  armed mezzanines

... for dyeing threads ... I once spoke about wonderful American paints and stains from folk arts ... and you use them as I see ... there are no difficulties with them and dye the threads after installing the rigging  and drying CA... I dilute the stains of this company with water immediately on the brush and paint over the threads at the installation site.,.  they lay down perfectly... if the intensity is not enough, I paint over again... it is better to start painting over with highly diluted stains and add intensity as needed,,,

Edited by kirill4

Personally I'd raise it if you want the sail set, in this position it looks ready to be furled. The pictures really do not show it being that low plus the aft end is raked upwards quite a bit. Just my .02 and the model is looking good!

Michael D.

Hello,

not that I know what I’m saying but I don’t know about the sail dragging on the deck. Seems like

it’s in the way? 🤷‍♂️

At least that’s what I can see, please correct me if it’s not.

Edited by Isaiah

We already decided against that. The sail does not drag on the deck in that position, but that doesn't really matter as we collectively came to the conclusion that the sail will be properly set. 

Edit: upon looking at the pictures, it might actually drag on the deck. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

The bonaventure lateen sail is decently well on its way toward completion. 

20230707_152202.thumb.jpg.d44185a9e165da9ee4e38d338917eece.jpg20230707_152209.thumb.jpg.a9d27171990544de3c7220c0f89c4fa0.jpg

However, one challenge has presented itself, that being how i am supposed to stick a long flagpole onto the stern of the ship on the starboard side. I have decided i would like to have it on the starboard side because of the way the wind is blowing. I would like the flag to be able to fly unopposed by the bonaventure sail or any of its rigging. 

How did Spanish Galleons differ from other merchant ships of the era? -  Quora

On many of these paintings, the ship in question has an almost comically large stern flagpole, flying an equally large flag. However, these ships are very different to my vessel in one major way: They do not have bonaventure masts or sails. This is very important. The aft bulkhead on a four-masted galleon is an extremely crowded place, much more so than on a three-master. Thus, one must choose where the flag is to be flown at the stern. The crew must have actively transitioned the flag from port to starboard and vice versa, depending on the tack of the ship. Flying it in the center of the bulkhead would mean it would run seriously afoul of the bonaventure lateen's sheet. 

This problem did not present itself in Kirill's build owing to the fact that his ship's bonaventure sail was not tacked in any considerable way; mine is. I will have to figure out how long of a flagpole i can have without the flagpole truck fouling the top of the bonaventure lateen. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

6 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

The bonaventure lateen sail is decently well on its way toward completion. 

20230707_152202.thumb.jpg.d44185a9e165da9ee4e38d338917eece.jpg20230707_152209.thumb.jpg.a9d27171990544de3c7220c0f89c4fa0.jpg

However, one challenge has presented itself, that being how i am supposed to stick a long flagpole onto the stern of the ship on the starboard side. I have decided i would like to have it on the starboard side because of the way the wind is blowing. I would like the flag to be able to fly unopposed by the bonaventure sail or any of its rigging. 

How did Spanish Galleons differ from other merchant ships of the era? -  Quora

On many of these paintings, the ship in question has an almost comically large stern flagpole, flying an equally large flag. However, these ships are very different to my vessel in one major way: They do not have bonaventure masts or sails. This is very important. The aft bulkhead on a four-masted galleon is an extremely crowded place, much more so than on a three-master. Thus, one must choose where the flag is to be flown at the stern. The crew must have actively transitioned the flag from port to starboard and vice versa, depending on the tack of the ship. Flying it in the center of the bulkhead would mean it would run seriously afoul of the bonaventure lateen's sheet. 

This problem did not present itself in Kirill's build owing to the fact that his ship's bonaventure sail was not tacked in any considerable way; mine is. I will have to figure out how long of a flagpole i can have without the flagpole truck fouling the top of the bonaventure lateen. 

Greetings, Mikhail, my idea was that the bonaventure sail and the flagpole were not armed at the same time ... therefore they practically did not interfere with each other in reality ... on my model the sails are shown without reference to any plot, therefore the stern flag  and bonaventure are present at the same time ... I did not place the flagpole of the stern flag in the diametrical plane - I was guided by one of the old engravings, this position makes it possible to show both the flag and the rigging of the bonaventure - its sheets and outrigger

017.jpg.2bf0694d3f6be1c06bb8f017553304d4.jpg

Edited by kirill4

Although there are images where the aft flagpole seems to be installed both aft in the diametral plane and in the presence of a bonaventure ... but on the Elizabeth Jonas model, for example, it is shifted to the port side

Screenshot_20230708_074819_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_074844_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_074918_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_074940_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230708_075017_Drive.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Although there are images where the aft flagpole seems to be installed both aft in the diametral plane and in the presence of a bonaventure ... but on the Elizabeth Jonas model, for example, it is shifted to the port side

if you paint the threads well before installation - use artistic oil paints diluted in teak oil, for example ... let them dry well under load, then they become like a soft wire and hold the desired shape well - and straight lines and imitation of sagging under gravity ..  .if unpainted threads are installed, they behave unpredictably ... they spring, bend in the wrong direction and create other difficulties .... part of the thread passing through the block can be carefully lubricated with a microdroplet of CAgel and pulled and pressed down, thus creating an imitation of bending  pulley block with a cable under the influence of force on the caeate or gravity ...

I would do that, yes. However, i think it is too late for that, unfortunately. Painting the thread going forward would make it look much different than the other thread on the model, which would make the model look ugly and unorganized. However, when i end up doing my next model, all the lines on the ship will be painted with Folk Art Antiquing Medium. 

freely of your choice.
After research I decided not to put a flagpole.
Most drawings and especially sketches of ships from this era were made years later and are not really representative.
Of course, free choice, if you do put one on it. No one can say you are wrong 😉

image.png.cc8e71ca233940edccdc021bdba7b770.png

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

folkarts are excellent paints, but this is not quite what you need for dyeing threads ... I really used acrylic artistic paints mixed with varnish on my model ... but in the end I came to the conclusion that it is better than dyeing threads or finished ropes in a mixture of artistic  there are no oil paints and oil in white spirit solution... acrylic does not hold well on threads... I pulled it through the block several times and the paint starts to crumble, peel off, and then tint again - that is still a thankless task... I plan to use it on my next model  only the aforementioned mixture of artistic oil paints, oil and white spirit ... this composition was looked after by the great master Dmitry Shevelev  -https://www.shipmodeling.ru/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=71037&p=386214&hilit=умбра+ленинградская#p386214

https://www.shipmodeling.ru/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=65

for coloring white threads with artistic oil paints, you can dilute the composition in half a liter container, for example - a tube of paint is mixed with liquid oil - teak, for example  (you can add more white spirit - to make the composition more liquid) Natural umber is used for standing rigging.  On running, ocher is added to this paint.
 It is dyed by pulling a thread through a can or a poured puddle of paint.  Then the thread is pulled several times through the cotton glove and hung out to dry.  Can be used in a day.

Edited by kirill4