Mast rake for the Occre kit 'Albatros'

Go to solution Solved by mtaylor,

Hello,

I am a total newbie here, getting along with my first ship model, 'Albatross', chosen for its simplicity.  Now please forgive me if I am going over old ground, but I haven't been able to find anything relating to my problem, so need your opinion.  The photo of Albatross on the kit box and online shows the masts more or less vertical, perhaps even with a little forward rake, but my research, limited because I don't know where to look, suggests that this ship might be more true historically with mast rake around 11 to 13 degrees.  I would like to know this early in the build since not only will the rigging be affected, (shrouds led further aft etc),  but those big gaff sails will change shape too.  Your thoughts on this will be much appreciated.

Andrew

• Solution

Welcome to MSW, Andrew.  I suggest you do an intro in the new member area.     Also, I'm moving this to the correct forum area so it get the proper visibility.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Andrew, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard.

See the below, if you go to the home page and do a search you will find other threads regarding mast rake.

Andrew,

I am also building a model of a topsail schooner called Albatros by Mantua. It is a different vessel from the Occre kit.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19611-albatros-by-dr-pr-mantua-scale-148-revenue-cutter-kitbash-about-1815/?do=findComment&comment=598658

The Occre schooner is flying the American flag, so it would be rigged like an American schooner. I studied Chapelle's "The Baltimore Clipper" to determine mast rake. American schooners often had a more pronounced rake than British and other European vessels, although the French started building schooners with quite a bit of rake. However I would guess your Albatros with the raised quarter deck and cabin is more likely to be a commercial vessel with less extreme mast rake that the privateer, smuggler and slave vessel schooners.

I examined plans and drawings for 17 Baltimore clippers and found the mast rakes to be:

Fore mast - 11.5 degrees average, with a range of 7-16 degrees

Main mast - 13.75 degree average, with a range of 8-22 degrees

I have posted several other threads about masting and rigging topsail schooners that you may find useful:

Sail plans and descriptions

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25679-topsail-schooner-sail-plans-and-rigging/?do=findComment&comment=750865

Belaying plan

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30234-topsail-schooner-belaying-plan/?do=findComment&comment=862302

Anchor rigging and handling

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/27410-small-ship-anchor-handling/?do=findComment&comment=787942

Edited by Dr PR