Gjøa 1872 by Harvey Golden - Roald Amundsen's Cutter built at Rosedahl, Norway

Posted (edited)

The aft windlass-- an iron structure-- is completed and installed.  Made from wood, paper, and watch and clock gears.  It was powered by the 3 h.p. Dan engine, hence the drive shaft projecting from the engine room skylight. A messenger chain ran forward from the port side to the pumps and forward windlass.  This assembly still needs the chain linking the lower shaft to the upper.  Some other details: scuppers as they appeared during the voyage, iron braces for the pinrail, and lastly a view of the whole as she sits today. 

image.jpeg.ab0a75188242b9742d4ff64ab6dbbd00.jpegimage.jpeg.01693ded399ae1ed8a45e5f7b9284d6b.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Harvey Golden

Absolutely beautiful work on the windless!  I look forward to your interpretation of the mechanism at the pumps. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

2 hours ago, Srodbro said:

Absolutely beautiful work on the windless!  I look forward to your interpretation of the mechanism at the pumps. 

Thank you Steve!  I don't have the best info on the pumps and their arrangement, so it will indeed be an interpretation.  Photos of the Gjøa as she is today show her stripped down in this area (merely the stumps and no machinery), and the drawings I'm working from are a little thin or vague in this area.  Several historic images will be of great help, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

The mast's pinrail is completed, along with some of the attached machinery.  The winch heads are hand-carved from dowel ends-- no lathe in my shop. Quite a few other little things to do before stepping the mast, but it's just around the corner.  Next I'll tackle the pumps as best I can from limited information-- seems to be dearth of info as to how exactly they were set up; I don't even know what the big gear on the pinrail does or what it connects to, but photos show its presence. 

image.jpeg.81aee034ec4a5bd1e6c64e55d288f45e.jpegimage.jpeg.9e67990a779fffa010f7238dd2e12fc3.jpeg

I just had a quick look at my pictures of GJØA in the museum, but today this winch is not present on her. However, normally there would be a pinion that engages with the large cog-wheel in order to effect a reduction and mechanical advantage. This may engage via a dog-clutch.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

3 hours ago, wefalck said:

I just had a quick look at my pictures of GJØA in the museum, but today this winch is not present on her. However, normally there would be a pinion that engages with the large cog-wheel in order to effect a reduction and mechanical advantage. This may engage via a dog-clutch.

I'll keep searching for old images-- I suppose at some point one must decide whether to put in the likely apparatus or leave unknowns omitted.   Too bad she's now stripped down so much in terms of deck machinery-- It does make sense as she's now cleared for visitors.  It looks like the aft winch has been moved back, and the galley has been re-positioned aft on the hatch to make it more accessible.  

Can anyone identify this bit of machinery on the Gjøa?  The image is from Roald Amundsen's Diaries, as issued by the Fram Museum, Oslo in 2017 (page 485).  It was taken at King William Island (the middle of his NW passage transit)-- note the hose running through the stern hawse pipe; perhaps for loading water?   Thank you!image.jpeg.c4d9839f7a9f35c93040364e0095e2f3.jpeg

Don’t know if you have these pics … they were included in my Model Shipways kit. 
IMG_2905.thumb.jpeg.dc4d34fee81550fd16049124b68645e4.jpeg

IMG_2904.thumb.jpeg.78f37380d0e3809d2220c01596f545b1.jpeg

In the upper pic, it looks to me that the upper shaft ( of all that equipment just ahead of the pumps) can be engaged-disengaged from the large gear on the lower shaft by sliding the open ended gear at the starboard end of the upper shaft. Also, it appears that the chain gear ( on the aft windless, just inboard of the portside barrel), the chain gear on portside of the assembly near the pumps, and the chain gear on the upper shaft of the forward windless, all three align. But, while I can imagine a drive chain running from the chain gear on the aft windless all the way forward to the main windless upper shaft, and a separate, shorter chain used to run from the aft windless to the portside chain gear on the shaft near the pumps; I can’t imagine how any power is transferred from the shafts driven by the chain to the two shafts just forward of the pumps. 

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

It appears that the pump was driven from the lay-shaft in the foreground of the lower picture. This has chain-wheel for an ordinary chain just inside the spill-head. This chain presumably led to the frame just port of the pumps, where there was a similar chain-wheel on a shaft that seems to drive an excenter, which in turn seems to have driven the balancier of the pumps. However, that balancier and the piston-rods for the pumps are missing.

It is not very clear, but I think the cargo winch in front of the pumps was not driven from the lay-shaft, but traditionally via hand-cranks (missing). As I suggested in an earlier post, there was a sliding pinion that engaged the large wheel. In this way you had a two-speed winch: the upper spill-heads are driven directly from the cranks, while the lower spill-heads were driven through the gear-train, resulting in a mechanical advantage.

There are two ratchet-wheels on the whinch, one oriented clockwise and the other anti-clockwise, so that one could use the winch in both directions.

This kind of winch was universal on small cargo-vessels from the early decades of the 19th century on.

wefalck

Dear Steve and Wefalck-- thank you both so much for the images and analysis of the Gjøa's machinery.  These images are exactly what I was hoping for-- they answer a million questions.  Looks like I missed the two smaller gears on the midship winch-- shouldn't be too hard to remedy.  Attached is the pump as shown in the historic image above.   Also shown: the exhaust pipe for the Dan motor (gray). image.jpeg.631caf9384c62730830f8b3008cc47aa.jpeg

Another pic from the kit is of the Dan engine. 
IMG_2906.thumb.jpeg.816e5205bc9e8d58cfcd740dc68b02c7.jpeg

This view appears to be looking aft. At the fore end ( right of the pic) adjacent to the flywheel is a sheave that on the model drawings is identified as a chain drive … which would have a chain rising to a mate above, thence to the drive shaft that extends forward to the after most windless. Just guessing that the diameters of all the gears in the drive train to the pumps results in the pumps operating at about 60 strokes per minute ( the rate that might be reasonable for hand pumping?  I can’t imagine that rig stroking at a much higher rate), then, working back to the engine and seeing not many reductions thru the various gears and chain wheels, the engine RPM must have been very low, maybe 120 RPM. I wonder if the propeller, driven from the aft end of the engine, would have turned at this low RPM as well. 

This sketch is what I understand Wefalck describing at the pumps. 
IMG_2905.thumb.jpeg.29b33280f7309d803b513010cbf57e84.jpeg

Steve

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yep, that's what I meant 👍🏻

These glow-head engines first developed in Denmark and the Netherlands for the fishing industry had to have long-strokes because the poor fuel they were designed to run on needed time to fully combust. Hence the low RPMs of around 50 to 150. They would literally run on any kind of liquid or semi-liquid hydrocarbons, such as rancid butter or seal-oil, though soot was a problem. One needed to start up the engine on something more flammable, such as alcohol or petroleum and then switch to the main fuel. The boats had two tanks for that purpose and sometime an additional tank on top of the engine to make semi-liquid fuels more liquid.

wefalck

Here's the pump machinery underway, with the pump logs stepped with iron pivot bracket mounted (and corrected gearing on the winch). Thanks again for the photos Steve and Eberhart-- these have been a tremendous help.  (Looks like the photos that came with the kit were made during the WPA-HAMMS survey of '36-'37...)

-H

image.jpeg.f3bf9b9bc07e0d47d8150209cbf31969.jpegimage.jpeg.3a553fd12f5dce5359dd3fb333a04ba8.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Well, it's back to the Gjøa again....  As I get close to the mast and rigging, I needed a good sturdy work stand for it-- one that will double as a display stand.  (The stand is 7/8" thick Southern Yellow Pine--a heavy and solid foundation).  The hull, as shown below, measures 27" long, and will be considerably longer once the stern davits and the bow sprit are on.  My workspace is only 45" long, hemmed in by a steel file cabinet, and a bookshelf, so this will be tight work.  I expect slow progress from now through the summer, but am aiming for an early '25 completion.  Welcome back!

image.jpeg.2b7c0fb5b0b9dbf6df90e7a778a4998f.jpegimage.jpeg.309f3a7fab51f5ac7a619db8cce5e222.jpeg